Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 OH firefighter gets jail; accused of killing dogs to avoid b 
 Post subject: Re: OH firefighter gets jail; accused of killing dogs to avoid b
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
Who gets to define "humanely"? PITA, Obama, Micheal Vick? I am not trying to attack your position, I am trying to challenge it to make you think about it though. :) 8)

No offense taken, and I'm an animal lover, so I'm going to come down solidly on one side on this one. :D

I'm leaving Obama out of it. He's got nothing to do with it other than being the current executive.

I don't see how anybody can consider what this guy did to be the least bit socially acceptable, or moral, or ethical, or anything else.

How about "any animal registered as a pet within the city (e.g. dog license)" for a definition of what is covered. Make it a city-level ordinance, that leaves the farm folks out of things. How hard would it be to state that unwanted pets under the above definition would need to be taken to a shelter? Shit, with the cost of ammo the gas to drive them there is probably cheaper. Not saying the animals might not be euthanized, but at least this way it's done in a humane manner (under a definition I think we can agree on).

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dead animals are a public health issue. A dumpster is not the right place.

If his dogs drank antifreeze he is not just a dick, he is a negligent dick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I agree that this guy was stupid and wrong. My point is that it is up to the individuals to keep this country great not the legislator. I guess I might be a bit too libertarian for some here. I believe that government cannot and should not protect us from ourselves through legislation. If I had my way we would do away a lot of agencies that most think are vital today. The only folks that abide by the laws are the law abiding. Do you really think a law would have stopped this idiot? It may have, but I doubt it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Animals are property, and it's very dangerous, legally, to treat them otherwise. If animals have inherent "rights," where do you draw the line? If it's illegal to kill a dog in your care, how about a rabbit or a chicken? How about pigs? Researchers say they're way smarter than dogs.

Also, there needs to be a clear line drawn between actual cruelty (torture, neglect) and the humane dispatching of an animal. I think that unless he did something we don't know about to prolong the experience, it's hard to say that shooting a dog is "cruelty."

Let's remember, also, that this idiot wasn't charged with discarding the bodies in a dumpster, but with "two counts of animal cruelty and one count of possession of a criminal tool."

I understand your feelings, mrokern, but I don't think that feeling make for good law.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's why I'm saying let's define it. Most municipalities require licensing of animals kept as pets. Small towns, if you're killing pets, you're gonna get it via other methods (most of the rural folk I know tend to frown heavily on mistreating animals more than city folk do, even farm animals).

I've got a huge issue with someone shooting an animal that is in their direct care simply because they didn't feel like paying for a fucking kennel. That's wrong. And it's not about protecting us from ourselves, it's about protecting other creatures from us. You want to put an animal out of its suffering, I'll be the first one to sympathize. Hell, my father-in-law is a farmer, they put animals down all the time...and not just cattle, cute little furry things that catch mice and drink milk too. But they don't do it to pets.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 pm 
Wise Elder

Quote:
Prosecutors have said he bragged about the killings to colleagues.

THIS is his primary crime.

Remember that if you carry a gun pursuant to your permit.

As Don Vito says "You keepa yo' mouth shut."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Hell, my father-in-law is a farmer, they put animals down all the time...and not just cattle, cute little furry things that catch mice and drink milk too. But they don't do it to pets.

And that there is the problem with making laws about this stuff. You see Rex as a companion, and farm cats as livestock. I see my cats (I'm the idiot who gave my little kitty insulin shots for three years) as pets, and might see dogs as dumb, barking, go-get-the-shotgun alarms*.

That's why we can't make laws on emotions. I hate that jerk as much as you do, but another law won't stop him, and we don't need a municipality-by-municipality patchwork of laws about doggies and kitties and guinea pigs.

-------------------
* Just kidding. I actually love dogs. Down, boy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
mrokern wrote:
Hell, my father-in-law is a farmer, they put animals down all the time...and not just cattle, cute little furry things that catch mice and drink milk too. But they don't do it to pets.

And that there is the problem with making laws about this stuff. You see Rex as a companion, and farm cats as livestock. I see my cats (I'm the idiot who gave my little kitty insulin shots for three years) as pets, and might see dogs as dumb, barking, go-get-the-shotgun alarms*.

That's why we can't make laws on emotions. I hate that jerk as much as you do, but another law won't stop him, and we don't need a municipality-by-municipality patchwork of laws about doggies and kitties and guinea pigs.

-------------------
* Just kidding. I actually love dogs. Down, boy!

Even the barn cats get to have long lives, unless they're suffering.

I'm at a loss. I don't like government intrusion, but there are some things for which a man used to just be hauled out back of the barn and had the shit kicked out of him. Short of that, and not passing a law that would let bubba assfuck this SOB until he squealed like a piggie, how do we deal with human waste like this?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
I'm at a loss. I don't like government intrusion, but there are some things for which a man used to just be hauled out back of the barn and had the shit kicked out of him. Short of that, and not passing a law that would let bubba assfuck this SOB until he squealed like a piggie, how do we deal with human waste like this?

-Mark
Road trip to Ohio? I have horrorshow boots. :evil:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.