Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Canadian cops have reading trouble too 
 Post subject: Canadian cops have reading trouble too
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Cop raid shakes up family

By ALYSSA NOEL, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 25th June 2009, 2:09am

A family whose house police mistakenly barged into during a drug investigation on the Enoch Reserve say the terrifying ordeal has left them with lasting emotional scars.

A man who has lived in the home for the last seven months with his wife, 10-year-old daughter and 22-year-old mentally disabled nephew didn't want his name published to prevent elderly family members from worrying about the June 22 invasion.

The drama began around 12:45 a.m. that day, when the man and his wife were watching TV in bed after celebrating their daughter's 10th birthday.

Their daughter was in her room with a friend from Edmonton playing with the Nintendo Wii she got as a gift while their nephew -- who has the mental capacity of a 12-year-old -- was asleep on the living-room couch.

Suddenly, the woman noticed lights outside the window. Her husband went to investigate.

"They were right under our window with guns drawn and flashlights. They had their shotguns on us and they made me stand in front of my window for about 30 seconds," the man said.

Then a handful of police entered the house. They handcuffed the woman and frisked the couple's confused nephew on the couch.

An officer said they were working on a search warrant for a drug investigation and asked the man his name.

"I said, 'Buddy, you've got the wrong house!' " the man said.

Police asked him for identification. He went out to his truck to retrieve it, noticing there were more police on his lawn.

After presenting the ID to officers, police realized they had, in fact, targeted the wrong house. The residence they wanted was next door.

Stony Plain RCMP have issued a media release explaining the mistake and stressing the fact the family has since been issued a "heartfelt apology."

But the man said he had to contact the detachment before any effort was made to make amends.

"They can shove it ... because they never called me," he said.

While the commotion lasted only about five minutes, it has had a lasting impact, the man said. Since the ordeal, the man's wife and daughter have had trouble sleeping in the home.

"(My wife) doesn't sleep in her room now," the man said.

His daughter goes to school in Edmonton. He said the case has further tarnished non-residents' views of the reserve.

"Living in Enoch, it's pretty rough these days, but we felt we had a pretty good life," the man explained.

"Everybody (in my daughter's) school thinks it's the worst ghetto in the world.

"How do we look to those people now?"

ALYSSA.NOEL@SUNMEDIA.CA

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.