Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Mpls SWAT Manages to Not Quite Kill Innocent Family 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:22 am 
The Man

KonaSeven wrote:
What the heck? Did the "journalist" simply take a prewritten report from the PD and drop his name on it? No mention of glaring discrepancies with previous story, no mention of the informant being completely different than in previous versions. No mention if said hidden (stored?) weapons were actually illegal. So is this a different informant than the one that gave them two other seemingly correct addresses?
Either way I believe this informant may be in some danger at this point.
It's getting worse and worse for the doorkickers. Look at this report:
Quote:
Vee recalled hearing gunfire and breaking glass before racing upstairs to wake her husband. Chief Dolan says those details were difficult to learn.
Yeah. And apparently difficult to do something about.

The doorkickers came in shooting? I thought their story -- I know; MPD keeps changing its story about this fuckup so often it's hard to keep their stories straight -- was that when they shot the hell out of the house they were returning fire.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It's getting worse and worse for the doorkickers. Look at this report:

Wow, that is disturbing to read. One cannot help but wonder, if not for the grace, what would I have done. Especially if my wife were to wake me from sleep with the news of gunfire and breaking glass.)

Quote:
There is so much damage to Vang Khang's north side home that he's now lost count of the bullet holes.

(But a reasonably balanced report, compared to the previous link of "Somebody's having a problem figuring out an excuse and sticking with it. " ((oops, lost the link.)) However it is still just a reporting of information. Is there an actual reporter assigned to investigate this incident? Here in outstate, I am getting it from this forum and internet searches.)

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:42 pm 

Quote:
"It's a painful incident, but, as I told them, this will bring us closer together," Dolan said.

makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:43 pm 

Today's police officers must be communication experts
Recent events indicate that Minneapolis police officers have additional obligations. Not only do they have to deal with enforcing the laws of the city and state, keep the peace and order of the community and maybe even help get someone out of a snowdrift, they have to deal with a significant-sized community that speaks languages other than English.

The recent errant raid on a home in north Minneapolis is one prime example of communication problems that arise in their contact with residents. If the occupant had understood that it was the police outside announcing their presence, he most likely would not have shot through the door with his shotgun while defending his family.

Many might think that the consequences are only to those who don't speak English; it's not. Police are frustrated trying to obtain information as they investigate crime and accidents, and statements are not easily gathered. The city tries to communicate with a large percent of the population by announcing snow emergency rules in six languages other than English.

The police are now charged with this language problem to a deep extent and in some cases it can be life-threatening.

WILLIAM LUNDQUIST, BLOOMINGTON; RETIRED, MINNEAPOLIS POLICE DEPARTMENT

Letter to the editor in the Strib. Seems to me if they were not just kicking in the doors like the Storm Troopers of old they would not have even had this problem!

BG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:00 pm 
The Man

Note the careful spinning:

Quote:
If the occupant had understood that it was the police outside announcing their presence
Well, first, of all, Mr. Khang isn't just the "occupant" of his home; he's the homeowner.

More importantly, there's no real issue that the doorkickers didn't stand "outside" and "announce" their presence -- they obtained a "no knock" warrant so that they didn't have to be outside and announce their presence but so that they could -- in the interest of public safety, of course -- kick in the door and then, perhaps, "announce their presence."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Possible piece on WCCO 10pm news on 2/11/08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just caught part of the trailer, but it appears that WCCO may have a piece about this on the 10pm news tomorrow night (2/11/08). Consider this info 50% reliable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Possible piece on WCCO 10pm news on 2/11/08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I just caught part of the trailer, but it appears that WCCO may have a piece about this on the 10pm news tomorrow night (2/11/08). Consider this info 50% reliable.

If it's not do I get a prize?

:P :P :P :P

(seriously though, <--- Hoarding all .40)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:

Only if you consider watching WCCO a prize.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
mnglocker wrote:

Only if you consider watching WCCO a prize.

:bang: Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 am 
Longtime Regular

It's up on the website now. http://wcco.com/local/i.team.police.2.651664.html

Caroline Lowe wrote:
It turns out the strangers breaking in were not violent criminals

I beg to differ.

Quote:
Moua: I don't want them to see me like this.

Officer: Well, I didn't really want to get shot in the face with a shotgun today either. But I guess we don't get what we want sometimes.

Crass xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx ...

Quote:
Khang fired three shots at what he thought were intruders from his bedroom. They returned fire with more than 20 rounds through a bedroom door,

Through a bedroom door? Completely reckless.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

It's a training issue.

The police were trained to shoot back through the door so it's not careless conduct on their part. They followed their training.

Moua probably was not trained, so it might, arguably, be criminally negligent for him to do the same thing. He probably relied more on thinking than training.

In court, later, training plays better than thinking.

It appears Moua has a record beyond reproach. Imagine if the facts were a bit different, say, Moa was an English speaking fellow with an old police record, or on probation for something. Chances are he'd face the prosecution "railroad", and not get the appology, from Chief Dolan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
It's up on the website now. http://wcco.com/local/i.team.police.2.651664.html

Caroline Lowe wrote:
It turns out the strangers breaking in were not violent criminals

I beg to differ.

Quote:
Moua: I don't want them to see me like this.

Officer: Well, I didn't really want to get shot in the face with a shotgun today either. But I guess we don't get what we want sometimes.

Crass xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx ...
You can censor yourself; that's okay. I'll call him a fucking asshole. The words he should have been looking for, having just broken into and shot up an innocent famiy's home were, "Oh, God -- I'm so sorry. I hope someday you'll find it in your heart to forgive me, Ma'am."
Quote:

Quote:
Khang fired three shots at what he thought were intruders from his bedroom. They returned fire with more than 20 rounds through a bedroom door,

Through a bedroom door? Completely reckless.
Yup.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:05 pm 

Hopefully police are not trained to fire their weapons without a clear and identified target. IMHO the proper response would have been to retreat instead of returning fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Suited wrote:
Hopefully police are not trained to fire their weapons without a clear and identified target. IMHO the proper response would have been to retreat instead of returning fire.

But if you teach them THAT, then, when they fire blindly through the door, and hurt somebody, the police department will have to pay damages......Just train them to do whaterver the hell they want. It's cheaper that way....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 am 
Longtime Regular

More details: http://wcco.com/local/iteam.police.raid.2.652690.html

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ― Two months ago, a terrified mother called 911 to report strangers breaking into her North Minneapolis home. The intruders were not violent criminals but members of the Minneapolis Police Department's SWAT team. They were raiding the wrong house after an informant gave investigators bad information.

The I-TEAM tracked the 17 hours that led up to the raid.

Shortly after seven in the morning on Saturday, Dec. 15, a young woman walked into the downtown police precinct and said her boyfriend had threatened her. She told police Jermaine Brown belongs to the Rolling 60's Crips street gang, and she claims he pointed a gun at her inside his home where they live together at 1321 Logan Avenue North.

Officers from the department's Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF) had been targeting the gang's drug dealings for months. They are brought in to check out her information.

By dinner time, the investigation put the VOTF officers outside a house on Oak Park Avenue North. Police had heard members use it to store guns and drugs.

As VOTF officers watch the house, Jermaine Brown walks out. The officers, including their supervisor Lt. Andy Smith, arrest Brown and take him to jail. Then they decide to go after guns his girlfriend has told them about.

Several hours later, VOTF officers meet with Hennepin County Judge Herb Lefler at his home. They convince him it is urgent to move fast before someone ditches the guns since Brown is now behind bars.

The judge agrees to allow them to conduct two high-risk search warrants. One is for the house where they found Brown. The other is for the Logan Avenue address his girlfriend said is their residence and where, she said, he has hidden more guns. That includes the gun he allegedly used the night before to threaten her.

The SWAT team is called in to conduct the raids. Less than 90 minutes later, the SWAT officers raid that first house on Oak Park Avenue. Police find three guns in the home along with mail addressed to Brown.

Despite clues that this was actually Brown's home, the SWAT team is still sent to its next stop.

It is now just after midnight on Dec. 16. Yee Moua is watching television while her husband and six kids are safe in their beds.

Strange sounds, including breaking glass, frighten her. She thinks it is violent criminals so she calls 911 while her husband wakes up and grabs his shotgun.

Vang Khang, Moua's husband, fires three shots from the second floor bedroom. The intruders fire back more than 20 rounds through the door. It's recorded on a 911 phone call tape.

On the same tape, men can be heard yelling "Get to the floor!" and "Where's the gun?"

It turns out that the intruders are not criminals. They are members of the MPD's SWAT team hunting for Jermaine Brown's guns at the wrong house. Officers take Khang into custody and search his bullet-riddled home for weapons.

His wife, Moua, can be heard pleading with the officers to tell her what happened.

Police see lots of family photos and Hmong decorations in the Khang home. However, the only gun they find is the shotgun Khang used to protect his family.

That night a police spokesman defends the raid in which two officers were hit. Their protective gear prevented them from getting hurt.

"I don't think it was a mistake on our part, we did everything correctly," said Sgt. Jesse Garcia on that Sunday night in December.

Two days later, Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan meets with the Khang family. He admits mistakes were made and promises Khang that he won't be charged with shooting at the SWAT officers.

He also hugs one of the young children who went through the shootout in their own home.

"The fact that nobody was very seriously injured or killed, we were very lucky," said Dolan

He promised a full investigation of what went wrong and to find out who dropped the ball on the front of the case.

"I don't blame the SWAT team. I do take into consideration whether to consequences were the mistake was made intentionally," said Dolan.

The I-TEAM has looked into what could have prevented the mistaken raid. It's standard in cases like this to do surveillance outside a house and check for any police calls to the address.

Investigators also could have run a simple property search online and learned that the Khang family owned the house on Logan Avenue since moving there four years ago.

So far, the I-TEAM has found no evidence that any of those steps were taken on the Logan Avenue house to confirm the information provided by Brown's girlfriend.

Brown has been charged with assault and as a felon possessing firearms. By then police had confirmed his real address is on Oak Park Avenue where they arrested him. Brown denies the guns found there are his, and claims they belong to his girlfriend.

His attorney, Hennepin County public defender Mary Moriarty, told the I-TEAM that Brown will give police a DNA sample on Wednesday to prove he has connection to the guns police found during the raid at the Oak Park Avenue home.

Meanwhile, the Khang family has hired two lawyers to represent them. The lawyers include includes former U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger.

"The police were the ones there illegally and they started this problem," said Heffelfinger.

The legal team also includes Sia Lo, a prominent Hmong American attorney. Lo said the raid shook trust between police and the Hmong community.

"They fought so hard to make sure they that are going to be respected and see this happen is a tremendous blow to the sacrifices they made," said Lo.

The attorneys say it will take a lot more than patching up bullet holes and replacing glass to heal an innocent family's pain.

Dolan said he wants to make them feel safe at home again.

"To come out of this event successfully for me would be having this family back in the city of Minneapolis and feeling comfortable being there. Anything beyond that is going to be a horrible loss for us," he said.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.