Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mpls' Finest Offers Business Advice - don't serve blacks 
 Post subject: Mpls' Finest Offers Business Advice - don't serve blacks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 am 
Longtime Regular

http://wcco.com/local/officer.hip.hop.2.636631.html

Quote:
Officer Suggests Hip-Hop Bar Change Its Tune

MINNEAPOLIS (CBS News) ― A high-ranking Minneapolis police officer is suggesting a predominately black bar change they way it does things. The city wants to add rules to Gabby's liquor license, like earlier closing times and fewer happy hour specials.

However, it's the idea that the officer has that's really raising some eyebrows. The Northeast Minneapolis bar caters to a predominately African-American crowd, Thursday through Saturday.

The 22-year-old establishment has been investigated by police after complaints from neighbors who say bar patrons are rowdy.

"I've been discriminated against as a white man serving African-American community because of their vocalness out in the neighborhood when they're leaving to go to their cars," said Jeff Ormond the Owner of Gabby's.

"One of the big complaints, from the neighbors is people traveling to and from their cars, at the time of closing and the noise they create and some of the other issues," said Inspector Robert Skomra of Minneapolis Police Department's second precinct.

Skomra headed up those investigations. He told the club to change from hip-hop music to something like country music, to solve its problems.

"Venue is their music," he said.

"What did you think that would do?" asked WCCO-TV producer Sonya Goins.

"I found from observation within the city, that that venue creates special problems," said Skomra.

"You mean hip-hop music?" asked Goins.

"Hip-hop music specifically yes, and rap music," said Skomra. "I'm thinking that if they change their venue, there would have been less problems, in the neighborhood."

"I think it's ridiculous. Music isn't going to change people," said Ormond, the club's owner.

The city also wants to change the bars closing time to 1:30 a.m. and for them to stop serving drinks at 1 a.m.

"We never threaten them with revocation, or anything about this, we just made these suggestions hoping that they would do them," said Skomra.

The bar is in City Council Member Diane Hofstede's ward, and she said because it's an ongoing legal matter she won't discuss it.

The Minneapolis City Council put off its decision on Gabby's future until at least next month.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Seems to me that a bar that specialized in Albanian folk songs would have few patrons causing problems in the parking lot...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QMLTZM/ref=dm_dp_trk5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe they should focus on Inuit throat singing? It would still be "diverse".

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBHsFdmLgYs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBHsFdmLgYs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.