Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 A lesson you can't learn often enough. 
 Post subject: A lesson you can't learn often enough.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm 
Wise Elder

From theagtitator.com

Quote:
DNA evidence frees a man who had done ten years in prison for a murder police say he committed when he was 15. They pursued him for 12 years, won a conviction, then kept him in prison for a decade until the DNA evidence pointed to someone else. The evidence against him seems to be that (1) the victim was found in a park near his home, and (2) police found a series of violent drawings in his home. It looks like his mistake was cooperating with the police on the assumption that if he was innocent, he had nothing to worry about by answering their questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 pm 

great post...again, the cops are not your friend...they act like your friend to get you to talk...then they pin a crime on you...and you spend half of your life in prison. not cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow... a 10 year lesson we should all make sure we learn. :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 am 
Longtime Regular

If the cops want to talk to you, you are a suspect in something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 am 
Trolling Doofus

And they don’t have enough to arrest you and would appreciate it if you would give them what they need to arrest you. It makes their jobs a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Can the victim sue/win for damages in cases like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm 

They can...but what's 10 years in prison being wrongfully accused worth to you? You'll never see it...you'll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm 

tepin wrote:
If the cops want to talk to you, you are a suspect in something.

...and you need a lawyer. Exercise your rights and get one before talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

should be moved to isolated incidents ... gotta feel sorry for the guy who got screwed out of the best years of his life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:59 am 
The Man

Make sense to me.

Me, I take a slightly more nuanced approach. If I were to get a call from, say, Donny Chung or Jeff Luther at the BCA, or [redacted] from Edina PD, or [redacted and redacted] in MPD or [also redacted] from a sheriff's office in [redacted] or [also redacted] or [well, you get the idea: redacted], my inclination would be to be helpful and complete. That's happened with some of those folks. Got a call from one of them, above, when Gross and I were teaching a CLE seminar, and I didn't even bother to interrupt David (always a risky proposition, anyway -- :) ), stepped out into the hallway, and talked in detail about the matter he'd called about. Worked out for the best, I think. (Remind me, sometime, if you're interested; it's an in-person story.)

If I thought there was any issue where I might even possibly need some legal counsel, I'd be helpful and complete after consulting with counsel, of course.

That's because those individuals have, in various ways, demonstrated to me that they're good, solid, service-oriented cops. (Donny easily could have made my life very uncomfortable back during the 2005 MCPPA repassage thing. He didn't do that -- and not because we're close personal friends, as we're not -- but because he's a good, solid, service-oriented cop, and he's got common sense, as well -- and he'd already demonstrated that to both David Gross and me, years before.)

But J. Random GuyWithABadge? For all I know, he's better than the guys I know. But I don't know that, and if he gets any cooperation at all, it'll be because he's persuaded me and my attorney that, yes, the reason that he's asking me whatever he's asking me is something that I've got a reason to cooperate with by answering. Sorry; it's "sure. Happy to talk with you. When's a good time for us to meet with my attorney?"

The downside of that is that if the call really is about what it purports to be about, I'm putting a decent guy, just trying to do his job, to some trouble over something that's probably not worth it to him. And, honest, I'm sorry about that, but that's kind of the way it goes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.