Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Another Camera Issue 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:39 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
MPD dash cams activate as soon as the officer starts the flashing lights. However, the officer CAN switch the camera off remotely by hitting a button on his microphone pack, or by hitting a button inside the squad car.

It seems obvious to me that this needs to be changed: cameras should run whenever the lights are activated. Actually, with today's technology, and given the issues of police credibility, cameras and microphones should run the whole damn shift.

When I did my ride along with MPD a few months ago (daywatch in Pct. 5, SW) I found the primary control for the camera is inside the squad on the ceiling. If the primary switch is in the off position, you can turn the lights and siren on and off all day and all you will do is kill the battery, which is interestingly enough the reason why they have the primary switch. The camera, though not recording, continues to draw charge and display an image when turned on. Upon activation of the emergency lights, the recording device kicks in, and turns off when the lights are turned off, but again the camera remains on and drawing a charge and displaying an image.

The guys I rode with only made one traffic stop, and it wasn't until after the stop was done that they remembered to turn on the camera. I would assume there is better technology out there then what MPD has, though, since what they have relies on the officer to remember to activate the camera. I would think there is the technology that wouldn't rely on that, and that wouldn't use such a strong electrical draw on the battery as to require officers to initially turn it on.

Remember, y'all, these are the same cops that are over all bitchy about the GPS that is now in the squads and linked to the CAD dispatch system. Unfortunately for them, they can't turn that off. I would think there is the technology to do something similar for cameras. Maybe not though, since the GPS runs on the MDC which is essentially a laptop and has its own battery to draw from first, using the squad battery as backup. The camera runs hardwire into the squad battery.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:55 pm 
The Man

Sipowicz wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
MPD dash cams activate as soon as the officer starts the flashing lights. However, the officer CAN switch the camera off remotely by hitting a button on his microphone pack, or by hitting a button inside the squad car.

It seems obvious to me that this needs to be changed: cameras should run whenever the lights are activated. Actually, with today's technology, and given the issues of police credibility, cameras and microphones should run the whole damn shift.

When I did my ride along with MPD a few months ago (daywatch in Pct. 5, SW) I found the primary control for the camera is inside the squad on the ceiling. If the primary switch is in the off position, you can turn the lights and siren on and off all day and all you will do is kill the battery, which is interestingly enough the reason why they have the primary switch. The camera, though not recording, continues to draw charge and display an image when turned on. Upon activation of the emergency lights, the recording device kicks in, and turns off when the lights are turned off, but again the camera remains on and drawing a charge and displaying an image.

The guys I rode with only made one traffic stop, and it wasn't until after the stop was done that they remembered to turn on the camera. I would assume there is better technology out there then what MPD has, though, since what they have relies on the officer to remember to activate the camera. I would think there is the technology that wouldn't rely on that, and that wouldn't use such a strong electrical draw on the battery as to require officers to initially turn it on.

Remember, y'all, these are the same cops that are over all bitchy about the GPS that is now in the squads and linked to the CAD dispatch system. Unfortunately for them, they can't turn that off. I would think there is the technology to do something similar for cameras. Maybe not though, since the GPS runs on the MDC which is essentially a laptop and has its own battery to draw from first, using the squad battery as backup. The camera runs hardwire into the squad battery.
Oh, sure; the technology is there. If it were perceived as necessary -- say, if a Federal court ordered it as part of a class action lawsuit -- one easy technological solution would be to a: remove the off switch, leaving the camera on all the time, directly sucking juice from either the battery or the converter that runs off the battery, and b: put additional batteries, also charged off the alternator, into the trunk of the squad.

Probably under $500/squad for the retrofit, including the batteries.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sipowicz wrote:
If the primary switch is in the off position, you can turn the lights and siren on and off all day and all you will do is kill the battery, which is interestingly enough the reason why they have the primary switch. The camera, though not recording, continues to draw charge and display an image when turned on. Upon activation of the emergency lights, the recording device kicks in, and turns off when the lights are turned off, but again the camera remains on and drawing a charge and displaying an image.

Well, a camera draws a lot less juice than the lights and siren do. I know a camera will draw a little more power than a DVD player, but I can attest that you can leave a DVD player running on a non-ignition switched circuit for days and not run down a healthy battery. Given that it's rare for cops to shut off their engine on a stop (isn't it?), there's no real concern that the camera will draw down the battery too low. Don't most patrol cars have beefed up alternators?

I can certainly see the nuisance of running out of recording tape/memory being an issue, but not power consumption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
I can certainly see the nuisance of running out of recording tape/memory being an issue...

Another reason why the live webcam is the ideal setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
ree wrote:
I can certainly see the nuisance of running out of recording tape/memory being an issue...

Another reason why the live webcam is the ideal setup.

Exactly. And the best reason of all is that then, what's recorded of what happens in public will stay the property of the public. Ordinary folks can keep their eyes open for things amiss from the safety of their own homes, saving the taxpayer from having to fund it. Those security cameras downtown would also be best distributed widely. Each camera could have eyes on it, no just a few at a time.

Community policing, at its best.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Of course then they'd have to limit internet access in vehicles without a DPS permit, just like the restriction on scanners in your car unless your a HAM, media, or have the right permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Are you implying that accountability would hinder the cops in doing their jobs? I can't think of any reason for your ad absurdum statement.

Of course cops need to make independent judgments. Do you not agree that those decisions should be transparently open to review?

Open to review by who? Everyone? I think the issue would be that any rule infraction, no matter how small, would be held up by some individuals as "proof the cops are no good". Speaking for myself, if everything I did was recorded for public scrutiny, I would have a hard time doing anything other than the absolute minimum standard for fear of inadvertently doing something "wrong" and being persecuted/prosecuted by some over zealous attorney.

Perhaps we should record every single moment of every government employee's day. I think you will agree that would be absurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 pm 
The Man

MP9 wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Are you implying that accountability would hinder the cops in doing their jobs? I can't think of any reason for your ad absurdum statement.

Of course cops need to make independent judgments. Do you not agree that those decisions should be transparently open to review?

Open to review by who? Everyone?
Sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

MP9 wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Open to review by who? Everyone? I think the issue would be that any rule infraction, no matter how small, would be held up by some individuals as "proof the cops are no good". Speaking for myself, if everything I did was recorded for public scrutiny, I would have a hard time doing anything other than the absolute minimum standard for fear of inadvertently doing something "wrong" and being persecuted/prosecuted by some over zealous attorney.

Perhaps we should record every single moment of every government employee's day. I think you will agree that would be absurd.

Why, exactly, would that be absurd? As it is, my employer can observe and videotape me every minute that I am on the workplace, on company time. Since public employees work for the public, why shouldn't they be held to the same standards?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

Here's an idea. Let's implant micro chips into every human on earth. The chips will be encoded with a list of "rules" assigned by "the rules makers" that have been deemed for the "public good". When a rule is violated, the chip either exlodes your head (large infraction) or just reports the violation to the "rule police" (who also have chips but with a more stringent set of rules). They can find you easily enough by tracking your chip

I kinda figured TCC folks to be more of a small government, I want to protect myself types. There seems to be a large (vocal) percentage of folks here wanting the goverment to take a larger roll in our lives. I prefer less.

Then again, arguing on the internet is like a kindergarten teacher telling people he's the smartest person in his classroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not saying it should be for everyone. Only people in the public trust. Sure, the public could watch, but what power do they have? Only that obtained through the existing political system. Sorry, but hyperbole such as that adds nothing to this debate.

What's more, being able to watch the cops' dashcams real-time might allow more crime to be solved, as things missed by the cop might be caught by a disinterested observer.

No one would advocate that private space should be under scrutiny. Only public surveillance. We already allow our "guardians" to have custody over this data, and that custody brings with it a power to delete or highlight portions, according to an agenda, and regardless of context. Why shouldn't such public property be subject to public scrutiny?

Last edited by chunkstyle on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:26 pm 

MP9 wrote:
I kinda figured TCC folks to be more of a small government, I want to protect myself types. There seems to be a large (vocal) percentage of folks here wanting the goverment to take a larger roll in our lives. I prefer less.

from what I've seen here, most want to protect themselves from abuses by a government representative/official by being able to record/review what an officer does. Too many instances of police abuse have been occuring lately.

This isn't people wanting government to take a larger role. Its wanting to hold government accountable for its actions.
Quote:
Then again, arguing on the internet is like a kindergarten teacher telling people he's the smartest person in his classroom.

throwing comments like that isn't going to win you any prizes around here.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

MP9 wrote:
Here's an idea. Let's implant micro chips into every human on earth. The chips will be encoded with a list of "rules" assigned by "the rules makers" that have been deemed for the "public good". When a rule is violated, the chip either exlodes your head (large infraction) or just reports the violation to the "rule police" (who also have chips but with a more stringent set of rules). They can find you easily enough by tracking your chip

It seems to me that evidence on a camera would make for LESS litigation, not more. Once upon a time, before breath testing and video tapes, it was almost impossible to get a DUI conviction.Now they usually plead guilty to that one without a trail. And government is a little smaller because of it.

The people arrested, as I bet you agree, sometimes/often/mostly lie about the way the policeman treated them. Or they tell the truth partly at least.

Look at the Larry Craig case. Without a tape of the questioning, it could have rivaled the OJ case. And half the country would side with Craig amd blame the police. That policeman is GOOD; I hope they promote him to catching bad guys.

A defense attorney has to present their case, and, as I bet you agree, it takes a lot of police, judical, jail and attorney time, paid for mostly by US. And at the end of the day nobody will admit they were wrong anyway. I think video evidence often stops this nonsense. I would think police would WANT to tape everything.

Defense attorney can be zealous, but so can prosecuting attorneys. Let them watch the tape and fight it out.

Stopping and arresting somebody isn't rocket science, although it's not for amatuers either. But police do it right all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

MP9 wrote:
Here's an idea. Let's implant micro chips into every human...

Seriously, look up ad absurdum.

MP9 wrote:
I kinda figured TCC folks to be more of a small government, I want to protect myself types.

Um, holding the police accountable is the only way to protect myself from abusive police. We've seen, for example, what happens when a good citizen is forced to shoot at one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just found the answer to MPD's camera issues. I found this while visiting my former home town's web site. If this little under 10,000 population city can get state of the art, why not Minneapolis.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Attn: News Director
July 23, 2007 Contact: Chief Rob Buck
1(815)562-2131

The Rochelle Police Department completed the installation of new “state of the art” video systems in each of the marked squads this week. These systems replace VHS systems that are several years old. The new systems, manufactured by I-COP, have pre-event recording which allows recording of video a minute prior to activating the record button. The system also allows for wireless download of video to a server.

The next phase of this project will be wireless connectivity of the squad laptops to allow officers to complete reports in the field, access e-mail, photos, and internet, and allow viewing of the I-COP video systems from the office. “These systems are capable of doing just about anything” states Chief Buck. “For our personnel to be able to log in to a squad and see what they are seeing, takes us to a new level of technology”. In the near future, a dispatcher will be able to view an officer’s status on a traffic stop via live video. This will increase the officer’s safety immensely.

The department purchased seven video systems along with a computer server which stores the video for over $47,000.00. This equipment was purchased with funds collected from fines associated with DUI offenses and drug offenses with no tax dollars utilized. The following is a link to view the system www.icop.com.

Here is the link: http://www.cityofrochelle.net/police/newsreleases.html

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.