Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 St. Paul Police Dog Wounded - Suspect Dead 
 Post subject: St. Paul Police Dog Wounded - Suspect Dead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

St. Paul police shoot, kill suspect; police dog wounded

By LORA PABST, Star Tribune

Last update: April 7, 2009 - 5:30 AM

Quote:
St. Paul police shot and killed a 34-year-old man who allegedly confronted officers with a gun Monday night. During the confrontation, a police dog was wounded, officials say.

Officers responded to a call at 6:12 p.m. that the man, Robert Jerome Jeske, was drinking and had a handgun in the alley behind the 1500 block of E. Iowa Avenue, east of Lake Phalen, according to St. Paul police spokesman Peter Panos. Callers reported that shots were fired while the officers were on their way to the scene.

Three officers found Jeske in the alley, where he confronted them with the handgun, Panos said. During the exchange, a police dog named Boomer was struck one time, and the officers shot and killed the suspect. Jeske, a St. Paul resident, died at the scene. Police believe he had been visiting acquaintances in the neighborhood.

Several neighbors said they heard yelling followed by several gunshots in the usually quiet alley. One woman was driving through the alley when she saw Jeske sitting on the ground against a garage. She didn't notice a gun but became suspicious and went to call police before noticing a squad car pulling into the alley.

By the time she drove back around the block, she heard screams and yelling and then the gunfire. She rushed into her house to make sure her children were all right before heading outside where Boomer was being loaded into a police car.

Boomer made it through surgery at the University of Minnesota and is in stable condition. Boomer, a German shepherd, had recently been featured on the Animal Planet show "K9 Cops," according to the channel's website.

The officers, who have not been identified, were giving their statements Monday night and will be placed on standard administrative leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 am 

The assumption is that the suspect wounded the dog, but that may not be what happened.

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

aypstony wrote:
The assumption is that the suspect wounded the dog, but that may not be what happened.

You're right. The updated article says that they are not sure. Additionally:

[url=http://www.twincities.com/ci_12089948?source=most_viewed]
Cops find suicide notes on computer of St. Paul man they shot in alley [/url]
Quote:
By Mara H. Gottfried
mgottfried@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 04/07/2009 11:30:26 AM CDT

St. Paul police found at least two suicide notes on the computer of the man who officers fatally shot Monday night, police said today.

Robert Jerome Jeske, 34, pointed a gun at officers as they encountered him in an alley on the city's Greater East Side, police spokesman Peter Panos said today. Officers kept yelling at him to put the gun down and, when he didn't, "they were forced to shoot," he said.

Do I dare say, "suicide by cop", or will there be evidence that the police planted the notes on the guy's hard drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is a senseless tragedy. That poor dog!

Suicidal people should have the common decency to take care of business themselves, without endangering other men or beasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 am 
The Man

Yup.

I've got some friends who are cops, and it really, really pisses me off when some asshole (or, for that matter, poor, deluded person who doesn't know better) smears his blood on their colleagues' hands by committing suicide by cop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:50 am 

had the perp shot the dog, I ass-u-me there would be charges filed for shooting an officer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:20 am 
The Man

J. R. wrote:
had the perp shot the dog, I ass-u-me there would be charges filed for shooting an officer.
Nope; felony charges for hurting the police dog.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

My understanding is that it was -- again -- the SPPD who shot their dog.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.