Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Near Miss 
 Post subject: Near Miss
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/a33_1242768462"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/a33_1242768462" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't get the point of the asshole narrator. The guy almost hit the officers, damn right he should be chased down and cited (and be forced to retake a driver's test, but that's another rant).

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
I don't get the point of the asshole narrator.

I'm with ya. But as soon as Mr. Magoo climbed out of the car, I couldn't help but laugh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:35 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
mrokern wrote:
I don't get the point of the asshole narrator.

I'm with ya. But as soon as Mr. Magoo climbed out of the car, I couldn't help but laugh.

Too bad he couldn't put that in the description category on his report. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

The cop was an idiot for walking next to the fog line AND side-by-side with the other officer.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
The cop was an idiot for walking next to the fog line AND side-by-side with the other officer.

Not gonna dispute that I would have walked single file, but this was entirely the driver's fault.

This is why we have laws requiring drivers to move over for emergency vehicles (and I get seriously pissed at assholes who don't).

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Freeways were not bulit with pedestrians in mind. The driver WAS a little over the fog line, but it was a busy road and with traffic ahead and to the left, the officer really is not visible.

I've always thought it outrageous to stand casually within three feet of the path of high speed vehicles driven by unknown persons and expect to stay alive.

OSHA requires a utiliity truck driver to put out cones when they park legally on a residential street to change out a meter. Maybe they should have jurisdiction over traffic cops as well. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
I've always thought it outrageous to stand casually within three feet of the path of high speed vehicles driven by unknown persons and expect to stay alive...

Or, on a routine stop, leave your cruiser sticking out into the lane of traffic with hopes that no one will accidentally hit it and push it into you or the car you've stopped. It's obviously not the norm, but I've seen it numerous times on our highways. Never with a trooper though; they seem to get it. It's always been sheriff's or local PD's cars. I think they get used to just stopping where ever they feel like on slower city streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
Freeways were not bulit with pedestrians in mind. The driver WAS a little over the fog line, but it was a busy road and with traffic ahead and to the left, the officer really is not visible.

I've always thought it outrageous to stand casually within three feet of the path of high speed vehicles driven by unknown persons and expect to stay alive.

OSHA requires a utiliity truck driver to put out cones when they park legally on a residential street to change out a meter. Maybe they should have jurisdiction over traffic cops as well. :lol:

Cherries and berries mean MOVE OVER.

Police try to stay left of a stopped car for a very real tactical reason.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm 

ree wrote:
Or, on a routine stop, leave your cruiser sticking out into the lane of traffic with hopes that no one will accidentally hit it and push it into you or the car you've stopped. It's obviously not the norm, but I've seen it numerous times on our highways. Never with a trooper though; they seem to get it. It's always been sheriff's or local PD's cars. I think they get used to just stopping where ever they feel like on slower city streets.

The idea is to provide "cover" with the squad car while the officer is out of the vehicle. The basis for this approach is that a driver not paying attention will slam into the squad car and not the officer who is working 10+ feet off the front bumper. The officer may still get hit by a car, probably the squad car, but it will be moving at a slower rate than the original striking vehicle.

That's the theory anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fubar wrote:
ree wrote:

The idea is to provide "cover" with the squad car while the officer is out of the vehicle. The basis for this approach is that a driver not paying attention will slam into the squad car and not the officer who is working 10+ feet off the front bumper. The officer may still get hit by a car, probably the squad car, but it will be moving at a slower rate than the original striking vehicle.

Yup. The other reason explained to me was that being positioned off the left side makes it more difficult for the folks in the stopped car to get a clear shot at the officer.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:59 pm 

I would have to guess that 90% of these types of things are all due to 'Target Fixation'. You steer where you are looking. I've heard so many people say "I can't understand why so many people hit police cars on the side of the road especially with their lights on." I can...gee..look at the pretty flashing lights...you go/steer where you are looking.

I would agree that walking anything but single file in that situation is just plain dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Fubar wrote:
ree wrote:

Yup. The other reason explained to me was that being positioned off the left side makes it more difficult for the folks in the stopped car to get a clear shot at the officer.

-Mark

I was taught that my prowler should be off-set, with the wheels turned to the left. If it's struck from the rear, it may miss me.

Also, by being off-set, I get an entire engine block as cover between me and the other car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:48 am 
Raving Moderate

340PD wrote:
I would have to guess that 90% of these types of things are all due to 'Target Fixation'. You steer where you are looking. I've heard so many people say "I can't understand why so many people hit police cars on the side of the road especially with their lights on." I can...gee..look at the pretty flashing lights...you go/steer where you are looking.

I would agree that walking anything but single file in that situation is just plain dangerous.

This has been shown to be especially true with drunks- the pretty lights get their attention, they turn their head to look, in doing so turn their arms, and whammo!

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:20 am 

Not just drunks. Decades ago when I worked for the Iowa DOT I remember a discussion with the headquarters guy who was responsible for the state's snowplows. I was astounded to learn how common it was for snowplows to be run into from behind by drivers "mesmerized" by the lights. He quoted one instance where the snowplow driver saw a car in the mirror he figured was going to hit him. He pulled off the road and well into the ditch and the car still followed him and hit him!

Trying to figure out a more effective configuration of warning lights was a high priority for us. :roll:
8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.