Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Another tolerant cop 
 Post subject: Re: Another tolerant cop
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

It's not that I've never been pulled over. I most certainly have.

Yet I've never received a ticket beyond a "fix-it", even when I have objectively deserved one. While I can't speak for what is in the cop's mind, there are some things in common with all of my stops.

1) I pull far over, in the safest spot I can find, and hit my hazard lights right away. It helps the officer avoid getting hit by traffic.

2) I roll my windows down as soon as I am stopped. If there are passengers, I roll their windows down too. This isn't about their comfort, it's about letting the officer see everything that everyone is doing in the car.

3) If it's dark, or even overcast, I turn on all my interior lights. Same as above, it's about letting the officer clearly see everything.

4) I have all of my information ready to go in a nice little folder. Registration, insurance, and a copy of my license (in case my wallet is in a pack or bag). I don't want to go digging for something without the officer knowing about it.

5) My hands are always in plain sight.

6) If the officer will see my firearm (e.g. if I'm open carrying), I will immediately hand over my permit and inform the officer of my status WITHOUT saying the word "gun". If they won't see my firearm, I normally do not disclose my status.

7) Finally, I'm very polite and respectful. I don't give the officer any information he/she doesn't ask for, and I'm not going to consent to any search or do a monkey dance (i.e. field sobriety test), but I will be very, very respectful.

End result: no tickets in my entire life thus far.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am 
The Man

It's at best premature to judge by such a thoroughly-edited video, but taking it as face value: nice job, Officer. You had an excuse -- the tossed pad/ticket -- to escalate the situation, or charge the driver with assault, but, judging from the video, you passed it up without hesitation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:51 pm 

I've seen the second video before. Perhaps the officers aren't just thinking about the traffic stop - they're thinking about what happens AFTER the traffic stop. By letting the driver vent whatever's on their mind NOW...they'll get it out, and (hopefully) settle down some before being let go to drive off. And throwing the pad, he knew it in and of itself wasn't a serious threat, but I'll bet he was watching to see if she did anything else.

Which, is probably the better thing. They know we're only human.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.