Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Died in a heroic struggle ? 
 Post subject: Re: Died in a heroic struggle ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Scott Hughes wrote:
I don’t think the thought is improper at all. The possibility of “friendly fire” occurred to me as well. We will probably have to wait for ballistic testing for final resolution.

I think if it were friendly fire, the department might just let it die on the vine.
Cop shot by BG, BG shot by other Cop...The End.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 am 
Raving Moderate

According to media reports (yeah, I know, biased, etc.- comments can be sent to the bit bucket), the *DELETED* in question had stated he wasn't going to be taken into custody again. Sounds to me as if he had a plan for when the cops showed up... :roll:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:13 pm 

MNBud wrote:
Well lets hear some of your views on this story.

It is my view that responding to domestic assault calls is the most dangerous part of police work. No matter what the procedures are, no matter what the training, a certain number of cops are going to die every year on these kinds of calls. Based on the available information, there is every reason to believe that the officers involved were indeed involved in a heroic struggle with someone hellbent on murder and mayhem. This is the sort of thing for which police medals are supposed to be given.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:24 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
MNBud wrote:
Well lets hear some of your views on this story.

It is my view that responding to domestic assault calls is the most dangerous part of police work. No matter what the procedures are, no matter what the training, a certain number of cops are going to die every year on these kinds of calls. Based on the available information, there is every reason to believe that the officers involved were indeed involved in a heroic struggle with someone hellbent on murder and mayhem. This is the sort of thing for which police medals are supposed to be given.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Training for anything only gets you so far, it's only training. You can't train for everything and there's a reason we have the saying "When SHTF". I think the Officers were heroic, they did their job under extraordinary circumstances. Officers often put their life on the line for others, and here is a situation in which Officer Crittenden gave his to protect others.

Requiescat in pace, Officer Crittenden, you've earned it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:50 pm 
In the time out chair

I can not think of a more frightening diversion than having someone sling a solvent laden towel around your head in a confined space at the same time as they grapple for a gun. Option one is let your eyes roast and hold your gun. Option two is trust your partner to be able to shoot the d bag beforen the d bag gets your gun. I thinnk human nature is to react to flaming solvent in the eyes instantly.

As for the chance of it being friendly fire, for the health and well being of officer Olson, I do hope the coroner has the guts to categorically find evidence to firmly overturn that premise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
This is the sort of thing for which police medals are supposed to be given.

I could see a medal being awarded posthumously in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 pm 

not only did officer Olson put five rounds into the bastard, but she had to drop the broken mag (shot by perp) and reload during the gunfight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:08 am 
Longtime Regular

It is humbling to think that the first thing that the Officer did was two get the two women out of harms way, before he thought of defending himself. I don't know how many people would have done that, especially with a flaming rag thrown on thier head. A true hero!

Quote:
From the descriptions of the wounds, the wounds Officer Olson received seem to show that had that bullet not deflected from its path by hitting her gun, she very well might have met the same fate as Officer Crittenden. Think about it, the bullet hit the butt of her gun, and deflected, now, where is that weapon when she was firing it? Like most of us when we shoot, probably directly in front of her face.

According to the article, the bullet hit the magazine in her belt mag-holder. Still, if I took a blow to the side in a gunfight, I would assume that I've been shot. Kudos to her for continuing to fire till the threat was resolved.
Quote:
One round squeezed by Dockery struck a magazine clip on Olson's belt, and fragments from an unidentified source struck Olson in her right forearm. Authorities don't know if the fragment was from the bullet Dockery fired, or a bullet in Olson's clip that exploded from the impact.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.