Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Officer restraint commended 
 Post subject: Officer restraint commended
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 am 
Longtime Regular

http://nbs.gmnews.com/news/2007/0524/Fr ... e/024.html

Quote:
On Aug. 31 [2006], Patrolman Frank Petrillo responded to a report of an armed, 15-year-old suicidal female who had climbed out of her upper-floor window on Goodwin Drive and was threatening to jump. Petrillo went out onto the roof after her and managed to calm her down, performing first aid to her self-inflicted wounds and convincing her to go back inside the house. He was presented with a Life Saving Award.

[...]

Raymond Bearden and David Bright were honored with a Civilian Commendation for their actions during an altercation at Linwood Middle School on Nov. 3. A male student had brandished a knife in an attempt to injure several female students. Bearden confronted the youth head on, with the student swinging the knife at him several times. Bright maneuvered himself behind the student and grabbed his arms, disarming the student and ending the threat.

Either of these incidents could have been escalated to deadly force. Both officers involved read the situation and appear to have decided less is more in terms of force. I'm glad that neither officer was hurt in their efforts to keep things from escalating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:02 am 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
On Aug. 31 [2006], Patrolman Frank Petrillo responded to a report of an armed, 15-year-old suicidal female who had climbed out of her upper-floor window on Goodwin Drive and was threatening to jump. Petrillo went out onto the roof after her and managed to calm her down, performing first aid to her self-inflicted wounds and convincing her to go back inside the house. He was presented with a Life Saving Award.

What, you mean that is the appropriate way to do it?
Why bother with all that trouble when you can just handle a jumper this way?

:roll: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

The second story is also a good example, although my cynical side says to me, "how hard is it to thwart a 7th grader with a knife?" Based on it being a middle school I assume that is the relative age range.

Still, as they say, anyone can get caught. Even a toddler could cause GBH somehow some way I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 am 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
The second story is also a good example, although my cynical side says to me, "how hard is it to thwart a 7th grader with a knife?"

If you're relatively quick and strong, not usually very hard. It's much harder to do without getting cut, I'd imagine. My method of disarming the kid would have been much less gentle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:
The second story is also a good example, although my cynical side says to me, "how hard is it to thwart a 7th grader with a knife?"

If you're relatively quick and strong, not usually very hard. It's much harder to do without getting cut, I'd imagine. My method of disarming the kid would have been much less gentle.

An angle I didn't consider in my post. Good point. The school is lucky the teacher had the physical ability to disarm the kid gently and within reason. I guess I tend to compare events to my own ability physically (not saying I'm an expert in knife fighting 7th graders) but that isn't always the case for others of different sizes and ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
I guess I tend to compare events to my own ability physically (not saying I'm an expert in knife fighting 7th graders) but that isn't always the case for others of different sizes and ability.

ROFL! But why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:
I guess I tend to compare events to my own ability physically (not saying I'm an expert in knife fighting 7th graders) but that isn't always the case for others of different sizes and ability.

ROFL! But why not?

I noted a mistake of mine. It was a patrolman that did the disarming, not a teacher. Not sure why I made that transition.

Moving on: Glad you saw the humor intended there Tick. Just saying I'm not trying to brag to you all about how I am 100% positive I could have disarmed a kid with a knife the same way. I think that is poor form for anyone to keyboard QB and say how something would have turned out if they had been there. Nobody knows what would/could happen. I'd be surprised if nobody even got a cut from the incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I had to disarm a seventh grader with a knife, I'd be doing it with an impact or chemical weapon -- maybe both. You think a seventh grade cut bleeds less?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
If I had to disarm a seventh grader with a knife, I'd be doing it with an impact or chemical weapon -- maybe both. You think a seventh grade cut bleeds less?

No doubt the young man could have put a bump on the noggin to good use. In fact he probably should have had a few more spankings prior to reaching the 7th grade. Impact or pepper spray is within limits. Maybe whip a backpack full of books at him...? Soft but effective.

Growing up I had the wrath of my dad to worry about. Punishment at school was nothing. Blame the parents, as usual, as it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 am 
Raving Moderate

The issue is CHD- Chronic Hickory Deficiency...

http://ambulancedriverfiles.blogspot.co ... to-me.html

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.