Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lakeville PD deport 15 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

plblark wrote:
You're right. Care to move it where you think is appropriate?

It can stay here, it is commending police (which we do not do enough). It's just that it was kind of a lame story. I'll thank the next cop that uses his turn signal... :P

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
This is a lame 'on the job' post. Barney Fife could have caught a speeding van.
I agree, but if Barney Fife was a Minneapolis PD, or PD in any of a number of cities here in Minnesota, imagration would not have been called and these people would not be deported. It is a very sad thing that we need to commend our police forces for not falling to political pressure.

Valid point. Not saying if I agree or not. But, it's a valid point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

montana_redneck wrote:
mrokern wrote:
My thoughts? We've got a lot of lazy, over-privileged rich kids who've never put in an honest day's work in their lives.

I think that is part of it, but I think the first part is the majority --- LAZY. Let's face it, there are a lot of lazy people out there. I don't think all of them are rich kids. Some find it easier to abuse government programs than to lift a finger to work. It ticks me off when people are complaining that the unemployment rate is high, but where ever I go people are having a hard time hiring people.

The area we were located in was per-capita one of the higher income areas around the metro, hence why I seem a bit biased about our local hiring pool.

When I said a decent wage for what amounted to moving and setting up chairs and tables, I meant it; full timers were getting $12-15 per hour on average. Not a lot, but considering the lack of skills required...and I think that is substantially more than McD's, actually.

It's really a nasty spot to be in. We have high unemployment, yet there are many folks who don't want to do hard work. We can up the wages, but then need to up the cost to customers. Some businesses run on a healthy enough margin that it might be possible to not dent the consumer, but in our case the hospitality industry was not exactly a low-overhead business.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not working in that industry anymore.

-Mark

PS-Mods, maybe a split to Non-Gun Freefire might be in line.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:54 am 

1. You don't get welfare, medical, food stamps or anything else if you can't pass the piss (drug) test.

2. There is an application process that requires you to read forms and write answers in the language of English.

3. You pass the piss test and the written test you are elgible for handouts but your right to vote is suspended.

You want food stamps? Get off the pipe.
You want to vote? Get off welfare.

Suddenly those low paying jobs are looking good to a lot of people.

That problem is solved.

Now just get the drivers off the street that do not have insurance or DL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
We have high unemployment

Do we really? See historical graph). It's not particularly low, but it's also not particularly high.

Hard Truth: Uniformity is not achievable. There will always be someone who has to contribute to the low end of a distribution. There will always be those who can't work (i.e. disabilities and inabilities). There will always be those who won't work. The best you can do is hope to reduce the sizes of these two groups a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't know how we ended up on this wild tangent, but i'll contribute to the deliquncy of this post...

As far as unemployment stats, I have alway understood 5% to be normal. I was in a conversation with someone who believed the current 5% to be much higher than previous 5%'s because they have changed the way the statistic is compiled. Is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:51 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
As far as unemployment stats, I have alway understood 5% to be normal. I was in a conversation with someone who believed the current 5% to be much higher than previous 5%'s because they have changed the way the statistic is compiled. Is this true?

Economists usually consider between 3-5% unemployment to be normal, or "frictional", mostly caused by people between jobs.

I don't know if anything has changed, but in that past you were only considered unemployed if you were actively looking for work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I was in a conversation with someone who believed the current 5% to be much higher than previous 5%'s because they have changed the way the statistic is compiled. Is this true?

Yes, they have jiggered the calculations around.

That's why we also look at the Initial Jobless Claims, Non-farm payrolls, and other reports in addition to the Unemployment Rate.

How the Government Measures Unemployment

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Watch the verbage used when reporters are talking about unemployment rates. They are typically talking about new claims for unemployment. How about after the 6 months of unemployment benefits when people are no longer whispering in the ear of the governement; reminding them they are still unemployed.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.