Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pursuer turns into rescuer 
 Post subject: Pursuer turns into rescuer
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/b71_1210312536"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/b71_1210312536" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Quote:
Police dash cam: 04/02/08, just released footage, FORT WORTH, A chase that ended at a restaurant at 25th and Roosevelt in Fort Worth turned a Sansom Park police officer from pursuer to rescuer.

The entire incident was caught on a squad car's dash camera. The chase started along Azle Avenue in Sansom Park.

"I estimate their speed at probably over 100 mph," said Sansom Park Police Officer Josh Smith.

When Officer Smith caught up to the Dodge intrepid carrying four teenage boys, he found the car smashed into the side of a restaurant.

With his gun drawn, Officer Smith heard screams coming from the car.

"I've got people screaming in the car," said Officer Smith. I don't know if I have a kidnapping or what at this point."

The smoke from the hood became thicker and Officer Smith saw flames.

"Once they started rolling out of the hood, I knew it was getting to the point where it was going to become fully engulfed," said Officer Smith.

That's when he pulled his out baton and went to work. By this time, a Fort Worth officer was on the scene to help. They pulled the two teens in the front out of the vehicle.

Meanwhile, the flames were becoming more intense.

Someone else smashes another window so the teens in the back can escape. One of the boys had a broken leg and his screams of pain could be heard on the dash-cam video.

All four teens were finally pulled a safe distance from the burning car. Police found several stolen purses in the car as well as marijuana.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Gotta love Texans...

"I'm fixin' to break the window!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

I like the reverse wheelbarrow they did on the one perp.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

None of them had fire extinguishers. . . . great first responders there & great triage with the obviosly broken leg. Eh, who has time for that when there are Taser seminars to attend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
None of them had fire extinguishers. . . . great first responders there & great triage with the obviosly broken leg. Eh, who has time for that when there are Taser seminars to attend?

I appreciate the comment about fire extinguishers. The rest of that was absolutely uncalled for. Those officers went from pursuers to rescuers. I would not have done it differently.

There was no telling if any of them would fight after being saved, or if any had a weapon. Secure the bad guy first, THEN apply first aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
There was no telling if any of them would fight after being saved
Except that broken leg dude was laying on his back with his hands in a "I give up" posture, immediately after being rescued. It is commendable that the officers didn't let the kids burn up in the car.

Admittedly I am a little sour on police, particularly police who have forgotten the "serve" part of "serve and protect" in favor of paramilitary us vs. them-ism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 pm 

A little fire extinguisher is going to do nothing for a car fire. Those suckers burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

They ran from the police after committing the same crimes that we stand against (what would YOU do after one of these punks grabbed your wife's purse?). The same officer then saved their stupid asses after they lost control of their car.

Broken leg due to self-stupidity (EDIT: and criminal action), and I'm supposed to sympathize? Please. Those cops saved his life. His leg will heal.

I'm all for calling out those who act above the law / abuse others, but this wasn't one of those.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
I'm all for calling out those who act above the law / abuse others, but this wasn't one of those.

Absolutely.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

Looked like the LEO's handled the situation pretty well to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

From what I could see and hear, broken leg boy passed the ABC test. His airway and breathing were fine, otherwise he couldn't be screaming "aaaagh! aaaagh! My leg! My LEG!!!" There did not appear to be excessive bleeding.

In other words, the injury was a long way from his heart. ;) :P He was in pain, which we hope will teach him not to engage in high speed chases in the future.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.