Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 'Tough as nails' cop hit by alleged drunken driver 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:34 am 
On time out

In daily driving I am seeing a lot more troopers and officers standing by the passenger window, in a smaller car, with power windows, I see nothing wrong with that either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I've seen a lot of that as well. I know a guy who wanted to be troopers, got all the way through POST and etc and eventually changed their mind after looking at the near inevitability of getting rear ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Stopping someone on a busy highway for a non-dangerous "infraction" seems ludicrous, even though that's the way we've always done it. It's so dangerous that it's otherwise illegal to stop on the shoulder.

The new"strobe" lights are more dangerous, because they focus so much attention on the police car that some people will hit it. You go where you look. Also, strobes induce seizures in some people.

According to OSHA, a worker has to put red cones around hiss vehicle whenever he parks on a street, even a sleepy side street. That rule must not apply to cops....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:24 pm 

When I went through Skills, we were taught to align the driver's side mirror of the vehicle being stopped with the middle of the car, or essentially your windshield rear view mirror. This provides an adequate alley of "safety" - she was parked perfect, and in reality the outcome was just as it should have been under the circumstance.

I've also seen other squads come assist and block even more area - whatever it takes to complete the stop safely.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.