Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hennepin County At the 30 Day Limit 
 Post subject: Hennepin County At the 30 Day Limit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:41 am 

I filed October 1st, nothing in the ol' mailbox on Oct 31.

HCSO claims it is in the the mail, I believe this to be truth, but Hennepin County is taking this right to the wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:41 am 

they did the same to me - got it the day after...Sept 15-Oct 16.

just because they can - I guess their interpretation is that since they mailed it on the 30th day, it meets the restriction... (my, and I bet most of "our" beliefs do not agree!)

I just don't see why they feel that they have to be dinks about it - other counties without the "agenda" don't have any trouble keeping turn-around times to a couple weeks or less. The only real result they are getting out of the delay is making themselves look like butt-heads about complying with the law!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 am 

I guess the argument "I need it now" is not so hot….

Personally, I can wait the full 30 days.

But then again if someone is going through the trouble and expense to get said permit, it is possible they might need it in a timely fashion or at least feel better having said permit in a timely fashion.

In the second case, if someone does feel they need it and the completed permit is collecting dust in an out box at HCSO just to ripen to 30 days, that’s just plain mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:08 am 
Longtime Regular

mojocatt wrote:
I guess the argument "I need it now" is not so hot….

Personally, I can wait the full 30 days.

But then again if someone is going through the trouble and expense to get said permit, it is possible they might need it in a timely fashion or at least feel better having said permit in a timely fashion.

In the second case, if someone does feel they need it and the completed permit is collecting dust in an out box at HCSO just to ripen to 30 days, that’s just plain mean.

There are emergency permits if the situation warrants it.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like HSCO dragging their ass more than any one else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:24 pm 

not sure who I heard it from, but they thought what was happening is that they are doing an initial check early in the month, then sitting on the paperwork until the final week and running another instant check to filter anyone that has F'd up in the intervening weeks. Now, I can almost appreciate them being cautious, but I'd like to see some numbers to see if the results are at all worth the negative impression!?!?

If they've only intercepted one or two people by doing this, then it's a pretty silly policy. They do have the ability to re-run the checks each year don't they? (and revoke anyone that comes up bad)

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 pm 
The Man

They have the legal obligation to rerun the checks annually; they have the ability and authority to rerun them monthly, weekly, daily or every seventeen seconds, if they want to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm 

Hey mojo, Erik here. Keep me posted and let me know about your progress.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

You have your permit. They have 30 days to DENY, not to issue. Since they have not denied you in the allotted time, you can legally carry, plastic card notwithstanding.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
You have your permit. They have 30 days to DENY, not to issue. Since they have not denied you in the allotted time, you can legally carry, plastic card notwithstanding.

While you are exactly right, good luck explaining that to whatever MPD representative you happen to encounter while carrying this way...

You'll come out okay in the end I'm sure, but the experience will be most unpleasant.

If you find yourself in this position, carry all the documentation you can, but expect to be detained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:11 pm 
Journeyman Member

I applied on the 29th of sept in henn co, and as of mail delivery nov 1 still no permit or denial! I will be calling mon to see what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 am 

First off, hey Erik, thanks for sending me this way, it's great to have a community sharing information.

The permit arrived Nov 1.

Applied 10/01
Check cashed 10/07
Permit dated 10/29
Mail dated 10/31
Arrived 11/01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 am 

I asked HCSO for some information on why it takes the full 30 days, and they sent me some numbers. I snipped it down to the important stuff.

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office has received 2,664 applications for permits to carry in 2008 through the end of September.

Even the most straight forward application requires a minimum of 8 requests for record checks. Some applications require as many as 20 requests for record checks.

We can not control the amount of time outside agencies take to respond to our requests for record checks.

Throw in the numerous phone calls we receive and having to respond to e-mails our days are quite full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 am 
Journeyman Member

When I applied just over a month ago, a nice woman told me it might be over 30 days.
It took exactly 30 days.
(only 27 days longer than my permit to purchase) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

HCSO wrote:
he Hennepin County Sheriff's Office has received 2,664 applications for permits to carry in 2008 through the end of September.

Even the most straight forward application requires a minimum of 8 requests for record checks. Some applications require as many as 20 requests for record checks.

We can not control the amount of time outside agencies take to respond to our requests for record checks.

Throw in the numerous phone calls we receive and having to respond to e-mails our days are quite full.[/i]

Waaaah. 2664 applications is about 10 per working day. They received about $230,000 for those 2664 apps, enough, conservatively, to staff a sworn officer and three clerks all year.

They take as long as they can, because they can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

Got mine yesterday. 31 days exactly.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.