Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hennepin County 32 days and counting 
 Post subject: Hennepin County 32 days and counting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:48 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

I called the Sheriff's office today and it turns out they mailed the permit out on day 29 but apparently the county's mail system isn't very efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

This could all be avoided if they'd just send the permit ASAP after their checks are done. You know, like on day 4 or day 14 ... look, a sudden 16 day window for the USPS to have and not leave law abiding citizens waiting on bureaucracy.

Post subject: Re: Hennepin County 32 days and counting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Mosin wrote:
I called the Sheriff's office today and it turns out they mailed the permit out on day 29 but apparently the county's mail system isn't very efficient.

Funny, they mailed my permit to a house 1 block south of mine. When I called on day 32 to ask about it, they apologized and mailed it that afternoon. It was in my mailbox 18 hours later.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject: Re: Hennepin County 32 days and counting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

princewally wrote:
Funny, they mailed my permit to a house 1 block south of mine. When I called on day 32 to ask about it, they apologized and mailed it that afternoon. It was in my mailbox 18 hours later.

Yea, I'm sure more important documents don't take so long to get through the mail system.

I asked her how I should go about carrying in the meantime since I wasn't denied in 30 days. She recommended against that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 pm 
1911 tainted

A few weeks ago I sent an e-mail to a person that would have the contacts to answer this question.
Quote:
In an e-mail a few months ago you said that if there are specific issues or questions that I would like to discuss, please let you know and you will try and find the answers.

So I do have a question or issue about the issuing of a permit to carry by the Sheriff departments. Why is it that some Sheriff department take the full 30 days or even longer when issuing a Minnesota permit to carry, or even 14 to 30 for a permit to purchase when they have a 7 day time period. I am talking about counties like Goodhue, Hennepin, and even Dakota county taken around 40 days. I know one answer is because they can and do get away with it, but what is the childish point of it. In contrast we have counties like Blue Earth, Nicollet, Carver, Washington and a few more that I know of that are at or under 2 weeks to issue, which seems us to be business as usual.

Basically, I truly believe some of these counties do this because they want to make a point, although the only point that people are getting are that they are maybe on a power trip and/or being childish. I mean truly, what is the point in holding on to the permit until the last minute and then mailing them out. I cannot believe that their work load is thus, that the issuing of a permit takes that magic 30 day period. We do understand when one person in a county gets their permit in 10 day and another person from that same county may take 20 days, work load and maybe a more complete background check has to done on that individual. That is all perfectly understandable, but the magic 30 days to issue, or even longer, why?

So any true or factual insight to these policies would be appreciated.

He did some checking and this is what I got for an answer.

Quote:
Rick:

In doing a little check…….The real bottom line is work load and number of other assignments that get thrown at these people. Some times it has to do with waiting for various checks to come back. The mental health human services check has been one of the major problem points for our counties. That again is simply a case of work overload at the state. We also see problems when Sheriffs have to re-submit the name because they have not received a response back, and then they finally get two response back from the state, all bit late….you can see that causes duplication of effort. So I don’t see the issue of “spite, or because we can”, I think it simply boils down to work load and being pulled away from one task to do something else, or covering for someone in the office due to staff illness or injury…….If you have a specific case, or name or something we could check further on some that have been delayed but for the most part……it has to do with work load and staffing…..Finally, I would also acknowledge that from time to time, there maybe a case that falls thru the cracks for some reason and the SO misses the due date deadline……...But hopefully that is not an everyday occurrence…….

I hope this helps a little?

Thank You………

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Cobb: So how many people work at the State?

Obliging, but ineffective bureaucrat: Oh, I'd say about half.

(but I repeat myself)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Blaming the state is a convenient answer, but doesn't explain how some counties regularly issue in a week or two, when they are requesting mental health checks from the same state bureaucracies.

The permit fees MORE THAN COVER the necessary staffing for issuing the permits promptly. Ironically, the counties that claim the biggest labor costs to issue the permits also seem to take the longest.

Conclusion: They are being less than truthful, as well as political. But then, I repeat myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Monday will be 30 days for me. I am hopeful but not optimistic.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew,
On occasion I have heard that you are very interested in cases like this. Just curious if there is something you are planning to do with these cases.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
Andrew,
On occasion I have heard that you are very interested in cases like this. Just curious if there is something you are planning to do with these cases.

We do try to keep track. When we see a pattern, we try some friendly education. Sometimes having the information gathered is helpful should we need to assist in some more judicially sanctioned education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jan 25th was 30 days, still no permit. No denial either, so I will continue to carry, however, very concealed. I did not have a chance to call this week, but might try tomorrow morning, even though it is Saturday. I hate when government plays games. :cry:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

According to the guy on the Permit hotline, they mailed my permit on Jan 23. It was not in the mail today. He wants me to wait until Wednesday, because they would not reissue a permit within a week of mailing the original one. I tried to explain it was already outside of a week, but he was firm.

An excellent instance of true public service. It does not take mail from here to North Carolina this long. Why would waiting another day make any difference? I guess my brain works differently than those in the Sheriff's office. Who knew?

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Called on Wednesday. The office finally agreed that they should issue a new permit. Asked how long it would take and he did not know. I know I am not denied, therefore, I will continue to carry until I get the permit. Hope I do not have to be involved with an officer in the mean time.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm 

I applied on 1/23 so we'll see how long it takes (and if I get denied or not).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Got my reissued renewed permit today, with a letter dated 2/4/09.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.