Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ramsey County - 14 days 
 Post subject: Ramsey County - 14 days
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 pm 

Submitted my application 3/10 and just received my permit today.

/me happy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:12 pm 

Thanks! There was only one annoying part of the whole process. The deputy _insisted_ that I have the original proof of training (despite what the law/application says and my objections). Like an idiot, I forgot the original in my scanner so I had to drive back home to get it. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:30 pm 

Well there's a mistake. Say you become interested in other states' permits. How are you going to send them your training certificate now? That deputy just screwed you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 pm 

I didn't make that clear actually. They wanted to _see_ the original, then made a copy, and gave me the original back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 am 
Longtime Regular

wheatstraw wrote:
I didn't make that clear actually. They wanted to _see_ the original, then made a copy, and gave me the original back.

But, you should just have to give them the COPY, according to law. ("_see_ the original" is NOT authorized, or even logical.) If they have ANY questions about the authenticity of the Certificate, they have the 30 days to independently contact the training company that issued the Certificate, which is the proper way to investigate a potentially serious situation like that. It would be as easy to fake an original as a copy anyway.

If there is truely a question about authenticity of the training certificate, I would want that to be properly investigated, and someone charged with a crime. If you were actually being dishonest, they should NOT encourage you to take your fake copy away, because if your were a crook you would probably just not return, and then get away with the attempt to commit a crime. They take the fake copy from you, and they got you. It's simple.

Asking a suspect to go home with evidence of a crime and bring back additional evidence of the same crime is hardly competent police work. Don't let them shortcut the process. Your training is still valid even if you've lost the Certificate. Make them follow their own procedures, as set forth by law. If your Certificate might be fake, they should be eager to take that. We want them to do their work in a professional manner, and catch all the crooks. That way we pay $100.

(They could come to your house ans ask to see an original if they think it's a good idea, as part of their investigation.) But it's not a reason to refuse to give you a receipt for a valid appication, and start 30 days running, and began investigating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 am 
The Man

Dick's right, of course. Me, I'm torn. I don't think it's at all right for the authorities to take even a baby step across clear, bright lines drawn in the law, and this is one of those.

On the other hand, I do understand folks who just want to get their permit and get on with their lives not wanting to make a big deal about it.

(When I applied in HennCo, there was none of the nonsense, btw. The deputy taking applications emphasized to the person ahead of me that he needed a copy of the certificate, and asked neither him nor me for the original, nor anything beyond what was allowed by law.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:03 pm 

The deputy said something along the lines of "I know what the statute says, but our department has a more strict policy requiring you to show us the original". I wanted to bring up the exclusivity portion of the statute but I'm a wuss.

I think if I had pressed the issue even a little bit more, he would have given in. In hindsight I should have been more assertive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well you aren't the only one its happened to. My fiance turned in her application about 3 weeks ago and I tagged along with her. The guy in front of us completely forgot to bring his class certificate. The deputy at first was going to make him go home and come back with it.

After about 4 minutes of pleading and begging the guy convinced him to let him fax in a copy. Which, really, is about as good as the original. As said earlier if they have a problem with it, they can contact the instructor. (which Ironically the Depty had to do for the guy 2 people ahead of us, so I couldn't believe he tried pulling that on the guy immediately in front of us.)

This was Hennpen however.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.