Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Martin County Miscreant Sheriff 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 am 
Longtime Regular

It sounds like the sheriff is enjoying his authority status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Jay, perhaps they would take you more seriously if you didn't wear the costume. :P

Post subject: Re: Just a thought....
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:41 am 

havegunjoe wrote:
I would think that a carefully worded letter from an attorney on your behalf may budge the Sheriff. A threat of having to explain himself before a judge then pay for your attorney might loosen him up. What do you think?

This is, essentially, the problem with filing for a writ of mandamus: if the sheriff doesn't accept the application anyway, then the next step is to take him to court - for which I'd have to be present, and that's the problem in the first place.

I am considering taking it in anyway, with $75 in cash, sliding it under the divider, and walking out...as long as it can be proven I've done so.

I don't think Sheriff Gerhardt is enjoying his authority. I think he's trying to deal with a problem beyond his control - for the software problem at the state is quite real - in a way that violates the law. His public statements that he doesn't agree that citizens should be permitted to carry handguns colors his argument, to be sure, but I believe that he'd suck it up and do it anyway were it not for that issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:45 am 

macphisto wrote:
Jay, perhaps they would take you more seriously if you didn't wear the costume. :P

Heh. Actually, I'm not known for that around Martin County, as best I can tell.

Post subject: Re: Just a thought....
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:46 am 

jmaynard wrote:
I am considering taking it in anyway, with $75 in cash, sliding it under the divider, and walking out...as long as it can be proven I've done so.

Hm. Maybe pay a process server to serve it on him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm, I didn't encounter this issue when I dropped off my renewal - my sheriff must not have any 'ethics'... 8) Maybe this 'bug' doesn't exist here :D

But apparently they had them when they took the original and required an additional release...

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

A software problem at the state level would affect every county. Any sign of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

macphisto wrote:

Or he could get a tv station record and perhaps broadcast him attempting to get a renewal if he did. It would be a little tough for the sheriff to try to deny receiving an application when the process was on the evening news.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:42 am 

SethB wrote:
Or he could get a tv station record and perhaps broadcast him attempting to get a renewal if he did. It would be a little tough for the sheriff to try to deny receiving an application when the process was on the evening news.

Indeed. OTOH, there aren't any TV stations local to Fairmont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:54 am 
Wise Elder

Mail it to his office by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Sheriff's Offices get dozens of these every day. The clerk will sign for it, you get back your signed, dated receipt, and your 30 days will start.

Cost: about $3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:12 pm 
Journeyman Member

FWIW I re-upped my permit about a month ago and received the new one in the mail 8 days later. There were more than 60 days before the old one expired. I had the "new" drivers license number too. There were no problems at all for me and nothing was mentioned about "computer" problems. I was treated amicably with respect and courtesy. Very prompt and professional. Olmsted County (Rochester). I feel for you over in Martin County and hope the Sheriff gets with the program... :? This is the first I've heard of any "computer" problems... I agree with Andrew, the Sheriff must follow the law (as we are expected to) and owes it to the public to rectify whatever the problem is-asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 pm 

I just spoke to my representative, Bob Gunther. We talked about my situation. He said that he didn't have much he could do about the sheriff, especially since he's got a halfway legitimate excuse - but he would be calling the folks at the state who process the applications to discuss why this computer problem hasn't been fixed yet, just as soon as he gets back from visiting his daughter in New York. (I can't begrudge him that, after this last legislative session.) He thought it was ridiculous that tsuch a problem hasn't been fixed already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

wamps wrote:
FWIW I re-upped my permit about a month ago and received the new one in the mail 8 days later. There were more than 60 days before the old one expired. I had the "new" drivers license number too. There were no problems at all for me and nothing was mentioned about "computer" problems. I was treated amicably with respect and courtesy. Very prompt and professional. Olmsted County (Rochester). I feel for you over in Martin County and hope the Sheriff gets with the program... :? This is the first I've heard of any "computer" problems... I agree with Andrew, the Sheriff must follow the law (as we are expected to) and owes it to the public to rectify whatever the problem is-asap.

Out of curiosity, is your permit dated 5 years from your previous permits expiration date as required by MN law?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 pm 
Wise Elder

FWIW, I don't believe there is a problem with the state. No other Sheriff is crying (and they would if they could). Your Sheriff is not telling the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:03 am 

kimberman wrote:
FWIW, I don't believe there is a problem with the state. No other Sheriff is crying (and they would if they could). Your Sheriff is not telling the truth.

The lawyer I spoke to about this issue (who was recommended by Joel) knew about the bug. I believe Sheriff Gerhardt is telling the truth; it's just that he's allowing the bug to get in the way, while no other sheriff is.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.