Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Martin County Miscreant Sheriff 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:09 pm 

The good news: The renewed permit arrived today.

The bad news: Its expiration date is 5 years after the date of issuance, not 5 years after the previous one expired.

I'm in Georgia picking up my new airplane, so I'll have to deal with it when I get back. Grumble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I bet they did that on purpose :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:56 am 
Journeyman Member

Maybe you should have your lawyer send a letter.

If the sheriff is playing games the letter won't cost you a dime, the sheriff can pay your legal fees. You could have a meeting over a leisurely dinner all on the sheriffs dime.

Some lawyer should be able to make a pretty good living teaching recalcitrant sheriffs the error of their ways all from the comfort of a home office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

If only.

The sheriff-pays-the-bill portion of the law only applies to bogus denials, not other game-playing such as screwing with renewals.

tommygun wrote:
Maybe you should have your lawyer send a letter.

If the sheriff is playing games the letter won't cost you a dime, the sheriff can pay your legal fees. You could have a meeting over a leisurely dinner all on the sheriffs dime.

Some lawyer should be able to make a pretty good living teaching recalcitrant sheriffs the error of their ways all from the comfort of a home office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
If only.

The sheriff-pays-the-bill portion of the law only applies to bogus denials, not other game-playing such as screwing with renewals.
I'm not sure that a willful failure to give out a permit according to the terms of 624.714 isn't a constructive denial, and I invite expert commentary on the issue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Why doesn't the law have any teeth in it so permit holders can't get jacked around by officals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:18 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
Why doesn't the law have any teeth in it so permit holders can't get jacked around by officals?
This law has -- and I use the term precisely -- unprecedented teeth. There is no other carry permit law in the country where an applicant, upon being improperly denied, can go into court, and, if he wins, where the court must order his costs paid by the impertinent, officious official.

Enough? Nah.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Happy ending
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 pm 

I called Sheriff Gerhart Monday morning. He said he'd have to research it and get back to me. Yesterday, the replacement permit, with the proper expiration date on it, arrived in the mail, with instructions to destroy my other one.

He took a lot of prompting, but he finally did the right thing - almost. I'll find out in 5 years whether he's accepting renewals 90 days before expiration, as he should. For now, I'm going to let the sleeping dog lie - and remember, the next time he comes up for election.

Post subject: Re: Happy ending
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:01 pm 
The Man

jmaynard wrote:
I called Sheriff Gerhart Monday morning. He said he'd have to research it and get back to me. Yesterday, the replacement permit, with the proper expiration date on it, arrived in the mail, with instructions to destroy my other one.

He took a lot of prompting, but he finally did the right thing - almost. I'll find out in 5 years whether he's accepting renewals 90 days before expiration, as he should. For now, I'm going to let the sleeping dog lie - and remember, the next time he comes up for election.
Perfectly reasonable. IMHO, and all.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.