Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Ramsey co taking longer than 30 days to 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 pm 
Delicate Flower

mine in 13 calendar days........... :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:13 am 
Longtime Regular

All good things come to the pure of heart ...

Not sure why Ttousi got a pass though :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well I did my renewal today with only a couple of bobbles. They have the permit renewal window in the 'detention' area. I went in and told the mall ninja at the desk that I was renewing my permit to carry. He asked me to empty my pockets into the tray to go through the metal detector. First thing out is my pistol. He got kind of bug-eyed and asked if I wanted to leave it in the car, to which I replied that it was far too likely to get stolen, so I was much more comfortable carrying it.

At that point he had the sense to call a senior mall ninja who called a deputy to lock the guns up. He told me later that he had literally never seen anyone (other than a cop) bring a gun in, so he had no idea what to do.

It occurs to me that in order to avoid wasting the officers' time, they might want to have the permit renewal window in a non-'detention' area of the building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
It occurs to me that in order to avoid wasting the officers' time, they might want to have the permit renewal window in a non-'detention' area of the building.

It's not by accident; it's another deliberate hassle imposed on citizens (you know, along with the 30% bogus denials...).

Did they demand to see originals as well as copies of the documents? That's one of their favorite illegal tactics to hassle applicants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
It's not by accident; it's another deliberate hassle imposed on citizens (you know, along with the 30% bogus denials...)

Not to mention they might not allow you in the booking/detention area if prisoners are present. That's what the told my in Lakeville when we had to go to booking to do my prints since there's nowhere else in the PDthat was setup for prints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:22 am 

gungirl wrote:
gungirl29 wrote:
gungirl wrote:
gungirl29 wrote:
Maybe evil people won't follow the law, but should the Sheriff's department make it easy for them and just hand out gun permits to anyone that wants them just because they CAN have them? I COULD drive with my feet on the steering wheel, but it doesn't exactly make it a good idea.

You can disagree with whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is the people that work in law enforcement are required to do extensive background checks. You don't do their jobs everyday, so it is easy for you to sit at home on your computer and talk about how things should be done. If it is that much of a problem for you, write to your congressman and see if you can get things changed.

Just for the record ... that's not me. I'd have picked a more unique nickname, but I was having issues that day. ;)

Obviously it's not you because there is a 29 at the end. I think everyone in here is smart enough to know that....comment was a little unecessary. You can always change your name to something else :lol:

Sometimes really similar names are confusing if people aren't reading carefully. And as far as I'm aware, I can't change it, and I was here first. No need to get snippy about it. ;)

well i'm here now :) snip snip

Last edited by gungirl29 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'm about to fix this by changing "gungirl" and "gungirl29" to "Gertrude" and "Hortense."

Alternately, if either would like to PM me and request a name change, I'd be happy to oblige.

Y'all have a nice day, now.

:)

I'll be Gertrude :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:34 am 

bkrafft wrote:
Well I did my renewal today with only a couple of bobbles. They have the permit renewal window in the 'detention' area. I went in and told the mall ninja at the desk that I was renewing my permit to carry. He asked me to empty my pockets into the tray to go through the metal detector. First thing out is my pistol. He got kind of bug-eyed and asked if I wanted to leave it in the car, to which I replied that it was far too likely to get stolen, so I was much more comfortable carrying it.

At that point he had the sense to call a senior mall ninja who called a deputy to lock the guns up. He told me later that he had literally never seen anyone (other than a cop) bring a gun in, so he had no idea what to do.

Mall Ninja! Good one! Pretty sure that detention area or not we won't be able to carry at any Sheriff's Dept building....just common sense I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:49 am 
Longtime Regular

gungirl29 wrote:
we won't be able to carry at any Sheriff's Dept building....just common sense I guess.

That's not common sense. It's not even legal.
Quote:
Subd. 23. Exclusivity. This section sets forth the complete and exclusive criteria and procedures for the issuance of permits to carry and establishes their nature and scope. No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise of a permit to carry.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:
That's not common sense.

I gotta agree. To me it makes make much more sense to read, understand, and follow the law.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 am 

Sorry if this has been answered; Aren't Sheriff departments special because they are located in Court Houses? I'm pretty sure I can't carry into the Wright County Sheriff's office to do any business for this reason. I'm pretty sure there's a note about it at the entrance too.

Of course I could just be in need of education. (BTW, Wright County Sheriff Gary Miller is very professional -- my permit process took a little over a week.)

JimO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

JimO wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered; Aren't Sheriff departments special because they are located in Court Houses?

First, not all of them are in courthouses.

Second, they aren't special, but a few judges have decided that they are special and can override the law at their whim, and include everything connected to their courtroom in their "courtroom" and issue judicial decrees saying carry was bad in their "courtroom".

--------------------

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am 

Lenny7 wrote:
princewally wrote:
That's not common sense.

I gotta agree. To me it makes make much more sense to read, understand, and follow the law.

Of course it makes sense to read, understand and follow the law which anyone having a permit to carry should have already done.
624.714 subd17 lists 609.531 (e) "Appropriate agency" means the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, the Minnesota
Division of Driver and Vehicle Services, the Minnesota State Patrol, a county sheriff's department,
the Three Rivers Park District park rangers, the Department of Natural Resources Division of
Enforcement, the University of Minnesota Police Department, the Department of Corrections'
Fugitive Apprehension Unit, or a city or airport police department.
AND pretty sure there is a security guard (mall ninja) of some sort at every entrance that lets us know they are not allowed. (ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are
prohibited in the premises and demands compliance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

translation: despite anything to the contrary in 609.531, the gun is NOT subject to forfeiture

Which has NOTHING to do with possession in a Sherrif's office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

gungirl29 wrote:
Lenny7 wrote:
princewally wrote:
That's not common sense.

Of course it makes sense to read, understand and follow the law which anyone having a permit to carry should have already done.
624.714 subd17 lists 609.531

So you read 609.531, but somehow missed 624.714, subd(17)?

Quote:
Subd. 17. Posting; trespass. (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises.

Subd(17) doesn't apply to government offices. and 609.531 applies only to forfeitures, which, in this context, also do not apply.

Quote:
Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.

--------------------

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.