Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Hennepin County in 27 days 
 Post subject: Hennepin County in 27 days
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:34 pm 
Journeyman Member

Today turned out to be doubly cool when we got home to find our permits sitting in the mailbox, and in under 30 days no less. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Congrats on the new permits. Carry in good health and avoid trouble when you can. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I applied for mine, exactly 30 days before my old one was to expire. Let's see what happens.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seems like a guy on arfcom is ~20 days past due for his permit renewal.
He also happens to be a armed security gaurd, it is keeping him from work. He says he will be contacting his lawyer Monday.

Kinda odd considering 3 people here got their permits on-time and the application would have been turned in about the same time.

http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=316200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Seems like a guy on arfcom is ~20 days past due for his permit renewal.
He also happens to be a armed security gaurd, it is keeping him from work. He says he will be contacting his lawyer Monday.

Kinda odd considering 3 people here got their permits on-time and the application would have been turned in about the same time.

http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=316200

His permit is deemed issued. He can carry legally.

Quote:
has this been tested and entered into case law?

Case law is for ambiguity in black-letter law. There is no ambiguity here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fun times when I did my renewal, the deputy said I should have brought the original of the training certificate with me. I offered to let him call my trainer (Andrew), but he said "that would do no good, for all I knew I'd be talking to your brother".

He ended up taking the photocopy anyway.

Just trying to hassle me, I guess.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Fun times when I did my renewal, the deputy said I should have brought the original of the training certificate with me. I offered to let him call my trainer (Andrew), but he said "that would do no good, for all I knew I'd be talking to your brother".

He ended up taking the photocopy anyway.

Just trying to hassle me, I guess.

Yup, since his conduct was illegal.

624.714 wrote:
(c) An applicant must submit to the sheriff an application packet consisting only of the
following items:
(1) a completed application form, signed and dated by the applicant;
(2) an accurate photocopy of the certificate described in subdivision 2a, paragraph (c), that is
submitted as the applicant's evidence of training in the safe use of a pistol; and
(3) an accurate photocopy of the applicant's current driver's license, state identification card,
or the photo page of the applicant's passport.
<...>
(g) This subdivision prescribes the complete and exclusive set of items an applicant
is required to submit in order to apply for a new or renewal permit to carry. The applicant
must not be asked or required to submit, voluntarily or involuntarily, any information, fees, or
documentation beyond that specifically required by this subdivision
. This paragraph does not
apply to alternate training evidence accepted by the sheriff under subdivision 2a, paragraph (d).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:17 pm 
Delicate Flower

key word.......submit

I still feel it is better to let this one go...........not worth fighting. They are not asking to keep it (original) only to see it to verify the accuracy of the copy. As an Instructor I don't need or want phone calls because someone doesn't take their original in.

How many of you leave your DL in the car and only bring in the copy?

Quote:
(3) an accurate photocopy of the applicant's current driver's license, state identification card,

Some one want to try the DL copy only and report back?

My concern is that they will open up the statute to deal with this petty issue and we will end up with having to get certificate copies notarized and and open ourselves up to whole bunch of changes that would be detrimental to the one of the "best carry laws" in the country

I will continue to recommend that my students take the original in with them.

YMMV

Flame suit on...............have at it :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:21 pm 
Delicate Flower

Chunk did you show your DL also or just the copy? If so why?

Andrew .....same question

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

I get the feeling Andrew would have enjoyed that phone call...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm 
1911 tainted

chunkstyle wrote:
I offered to let him call my trainer (Andrew), but he said "that would do no good, for all I knew I'd be talking to your brother".

So what if it is your brother, if your brother is listed as the instructor or certifying organization here -
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Invest/D ... ssPPA.html
He is listed as approved training on the MN BCA web site, there is zero issue, my brother went through my class, the whole class, no short cuts, so what if I am an approved trainer and my brother went through my class?

Now the issue on the request to see the original certificate to verify that the permit applicant is providing an accurate copy, I see no problem with that.
But then again, even though legal under the law, I strongly recommend to carry concealed, others here disagree, same as the certificate issue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:51 pm 
Delicate Flower

chunkstyle wrote:

so...............your answer to the original question is........?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

No, I just gave a photocopy of the DL. He didn't ask for the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:03 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:

How many of you leave your DL in the car and only bring in the copy?

Quote:

Some one want to try the DL copy only and report back?

No problems in my area. Copies of each and $100.00 gets it done. I haven't had any reports back about requests for originals. It could be happening and I do not hear back from any of them, but from conversations with students as I meet them later, all have said it went smooth. Turnaround is averaging 10 days for those I know about.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:24 am 
Delicate Flower

chunkstyle wrote:
ttousi wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

No, I just gave a photocopy of the DL. He didn't ask for the original.

Thanks.
My guess is that most hand over the actual DL with out a second thought.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.