Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Sign O The Times 
 Post subject: Sign O The Times
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:59 am 

December 02, 2008
Gun Control in India
Larrey Anderson
The world watched in horror as the terrorists prowled and murdered for hours through the streets of a major city in India. The mayhem went all but unabated. No one tried to stop them -- because no one could stop them. None of the citizens were armed.

India has a long history of gun control. Under British occupation, the citizens of India had no rights to private gun ownership. Even Mahatma Gandhi protested the firearms prohibition:

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." (M. Gandhi, An Autobiography: The story of my Experiments with Truth.)

In 1959 the prohibition was repealed. But the Indian government rushed in to protect its citizens from themselves and by 1990 the government had banned the import of small arms.

Permits for owning weapons are available to the citizenry of India but the licensing process is so complex and bewildering that very few citizens make the effort to (legally) obtain firearms. (A brief history of the gun control laws in India is available here and a video exploring the issue here.)

There is a huge lesson for freedom loving peoples to learn from the massacre in Mumbai: We cannot count on the government to protect us from terrorists who are willing to die to murder us. And without the right to legally own a firearm, we cannot protect ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:12 pm 

Do you have a link to the original story? There is mention of the history of gun control laws and a video that I'd like to check out as well.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:35 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Me too,. I spent a little time checking out a forum called Indians for guns (I think) it was pretty interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

There is an ethnic joke in here somewhere about convenience stores, but I'll leave that to VP elect Biden.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIT3jUrNTX0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIT3jUrNTX0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:49 am 

DeanC wrote:
There is an ethnic joke in here somewhere about convenience stores, but I'll leave that to VP elect Biden.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIT3jUrNTX0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIT3jUrNTX0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow. That's...insulting. From our 'ethnically diverse' president-elect team, no less!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:31 pm 

Scott A wrote:
Do you have a link to the original story? There is mention of the history of gun control laws and a video that I'd like to check out as well.

Thanks.

Here ya go.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/200 ... india.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.