Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Regs for Carry in National Parks 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Who should we be sending thank you letters to?

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow I might actually go to a National Park now :shock:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Wow I might actually go to a National Park now :shock:

There are National Park Service lands in the Mississippi river gorge:

http://www.nps.gov/miss/parkmgmt/upload/Acro%202006%20OSPO%20Map%202.pdf

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: States Right
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:47 pm 

So, you can carry if the state the NP is in allows it!

Post subject: Re: States Right
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Tabsr wrote:
So, you can carry if the state the NP is in allows it!

The way you phrase that makes it sound as if you meant that you can carry in a NP if the state the NP is in allows you to carry in that NP.

That's not quite right.

The rule allows you to carry in a NP if the state that the NP is in allows you to carry in the state.

NOTE: The proposed rule allowed carry if the state allowed carry in "similar state lands". From http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final%20Rule.pdf:

Quote:
During the course of the public comment process, a number of entities, including the State of Alaska and employees of the FWS, suggested that the Department's reference to "similar state lands" in the proposed regulation is ambiguous and confusing since individual States provide for various management regimes that make it difficult to determine what areas are actually similar. As discussed more fully below, the Department agrees with this concern and has deleted this language in the final rule.

So it's not "you can carry in a National Park if you can carry in a State Park", which is what was being discussed some months ago. It's "you can carry in a National Park if you can carry in the State", which is what we had originally asked for.

Great news.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

So, reciprocity would allow me to carry in a National Park in Utah or other state that recognizes the MN permit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
So, reciprocity would allow me to carry in a National Park in Utah or other state that recognizes the MN permit?

that's how I'm reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:52 am 
Longtime Regular

But not before January 9, 2009.

As we announced last week, the Department of Interior has released their new regulation that will recognize Right-to-Carry in national parks in those states that allow Right-to-Carry. It is important to note, however, that the new regulations do not take effect until 30 days after their publication in the Federal Register.

The new rules, which were announced on December 5, were published in the Register on December 10. That makes January 9 the first day it will be legal to carry a loaded firearm in National Parks or refuges. Until then, the old regulations that ban possession of loaded firearms are still in effect.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13 pm 

The antis are trying to get this overturned in court.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... eheadlines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
The antis are trying to get this overturned in court.

From that article:
Quote:
The lawsuit said members of the Brady Campaign will no longer visit national parks and refuges "out of fear for their personal safety from those who will now be permitted to carry loaded and concealed weapons in such areas."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 am 

Looks like the Obama administration has put a stop to this one.

From the story...

"This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration," the White House said in a statement issued just hours after Obama took office."

"Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090121/pl_ ... egulations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

As noted in another similar thread, the park rules are NOT pending, they are a done deal effective 1-9-09.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 pm 

phorvick wrote:
As noted in another similar thread, the park rules are NOT pending, they are a done deal effective 1-9-09.

I wasn't aware of that. That means this story is misleading. Can you direct me to the other thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Fiasco wrote:
phorvick wrote:

I wasn't aware of that. That means this story is misleading. Can you direct me to the other thread?
The other thread just has the same, I believe to be, misleading news report.

That is not to say that I am right, but this was not some whim by Pres. Bush; this was an ongoing battle/process for many years that happened to culminate and end on Jan 9th.

Certainly Obama can begin the process to change the rule, but the same rule-making process would need be undertaken and that could take many many months.

But...there is at least one lawsuit also on the matter...I suppose an injunction could issue as there are many unfriendly judges out there.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.