Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 All is well, no need to stock up on guns.... 
 Post subject: All is well, no need to stock up on guns....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:29 am 

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/o ... 08.article

Quote:
Obama: Don't stock up on guns

December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

Post subject: what is OB's WORD??
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 am 

BHO: "Well, on the gun issue, I believe in commonsense gun safety laws, and I believe in the Second Amendment. And so, lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I've said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. And I think that people can take me at my word."

Well, of course. And what IS his word?

Well, according to his Transition website here it is this:

Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Uh, huh. I guess those of us who refuse to cede to the federal government the power to control all private firearms sales and those of us with evil, scary semiautomatic rifles do not fall into Obama's understanding of "lawful gun owners."

Taken from the Western Rifle shooters blog.....

Post subject: Re: All is well, no need to stock up on guns....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

mnosretep wrote:
Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear... I think people can take me at my word."

I am glad that BHO is seeing what is going on here.
1. People are stocking up because of him.
2. The lawful gun owners are the ones who fear him
3. People don't take him at his word.
Just maybe he will understand that there will be much opposition to him or The Nancy trying to implement restrictions. Afterall he said 95% of being president is situational.

mnosretep wrote:
Quote:
...said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"...We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

:?: There is no such thing as too many guns :?: That's like saying you have too much money (oh yeah, they don't want us to have that either :( .)

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Well I just called the bank. They won't give me a loan to purchase more firearm because the president-elect said not to. :(

I think they are just saving their money so they can buy more firearms.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I think people can take me at my word."

as in "I'm not sure myself, I think so." :?:

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
Quote:
I think people can take me at my word."

as in "I'm not sure myself, I think so." :?:

as in "I don't have the votes to ban them right now...maybe next term".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.