Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 CU Students File Lawsuit Challenging CU’S Gun Ban 
 Post subject: CU Students File Lawsuit Challenging CU’S Gun Ban
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:17 pm 

Didn't see this here yet. Just got it in my email today.

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 11, 2008
Jim Manley 303.292.2021 (office) 303.859.8315 (cell)

CU STUDENTS FILE LAWSUIT CHALLENGING CU'S GUN BAN

Two University of Colorado students and one CU alumnus, represented by Mountain States Legal Foundation, have filed a lawsuit challenging the University of Colorado's ban on licensed concealed carry in El Paso County District Court today asking the court to strike down CU's ban on licensed concealed carry on campus.

Martha Altman, CU-Denver, Eric Mote, CU-Colorado Springs alumnus, and John Davis, CU-Colorado Springs, plaintiffs in the suit, are members of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, also a party to the suit. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a national advocacy group with over 35,000 members nationally and over 200 members on CU's Colorado Springs, Denver, and Boulder campuses. SCCC supports the legalization of concealed carry by licensed individuals on college campuses.

"Gun-free zones have failed," said Michael Guzman, SCCC President. "SCCC does not want a gun in every student's or professor's hands, but it is absurd that someone can legally carry on one side of the street but not the other. A total ban on licensed concealed carry does not improve safety and we have seen that such policies can lead to tragedy."

The suit is based on the fact that the 2003 Concealed Carry Act gives licensed adults over the age of 21 the right to carry everywhere in the state and prohibits local regulations that conflict with the Act. The Act includes only four exceptions to the right to carry: locations prohibited by federal law; K-12 schools; public buildings with metal detectors; and private property. C.R.S. § 18-12-214. Significantly absent from that list of exceptions: university campuses. Moreover, the CU Regents are among those local governments prohibited from enforcing regulations that conflict with the Act.

The suit also alleges that CU's weapons ban is so broad that it violates the Colorado Constitution, which protects the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.

"The right to keep and bear arms is an essential component of individual liberty," said William Perry Pendley, President and Chief Legal Officer of Mountain States Legal Foundation. "No law-abiding adult should be denied the ability to protect herself, either on or off campus."

Concealed handgun permit holders must be over the age of 21 and undergo an extensive background check confirming that they have no history of substance abuse or criminal activity, are not subject to a protection order, and have demonstrated competency with a handgun. Statistics show that less than 1% of permits have ever been revoked in Colorado (http://www.rmgo.org/faq/CCW%20Permits%20by%20county.pdf).

For more information, see the attached litigation backgrounder and media advisory, contact Jim Manley at 303-292-2021, ext. 25, or visit Mountain States Legal Foundation at www.mountainstateslegal.org and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at www.concealedcampus.org.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:43 pm 

I would love to see the ban struck down.

I am currently attending Purdue University. Indiana is a shall-issue state, and the local police department (Purdue Police) refuses to issue any permits to carry (in severe violation of Indiana Law). Thankfully, I am living just outside of the city limits, and instead of going through the city I went through the county to get my permit, which they do issue.

I would like to see college campus carry bans start going down all over; if the one at Purdue is challenged, I will be doing everything I can to support the movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm. I might just have to move there and enroll in school. ;)

I am going to have to look those fellows up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Hmm. I might just have to move there and enroll in school. ;)

I am going to have to look those fellows up.

I would if I wasn't so invested in this school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

hell i would donate some money for the lawyers they are going to need to combat the school

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.