Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Kansas Bill - Prosecutors to CC 
 Post subject: Kansas Bill - Prosecutors to CC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I seem to remember something similar to this trying to get passed before.
Quote:
Kansas Bill Allows Prosecutors to Have Guns in Court
Posted: 5:52 PM Jan 22, 2009
Last Updated: 6:11 PM Jan 22, 2009
Story here
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) _ The Senate has voted for a bill that would let county, state and federal prosecutors carry concealed guns into county courthouses.
There was no debate in the Senate. The measure now goes to the House, where Majority Leader Ray Merrick says he thinks the bill has ``a pretty good chance.''
A 2006 state law authorized concealed carry by qualified Kansans who obtain permits. The measure specifically bans concealed guns in
courthouses _ with no exceptions for prosecutors. Other places where concealed weapons are banned include schools, churches and
polling places.
Businesses also can post signs saying no guns are allowed.
The bill would require prosecutors to obtain concealed gun permits and to undergo additional firearms training.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 pm 
Wise Elder

As a matter of FACT (not politics), defense counsel are much more likely to be killed, by their clients, because of their professional activities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I would also think that judges should be allowed to carry.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 am 
Forum Moderator

I would be against such legislation. I do not believe we need to establish yet another category of elite/special people.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:51 am 
Longtime Regular

I can see the point. I mean, after all, look at what a dangerous job those prosecutors have. They're in, like, constant peril. Those are the men and women who put real live murderers and rapists behind bars! Their job is amazingly important to our whole country. They should be able to carry everywhere cuz' I bet they have bad guys lurking around every corner. Their lives are obviously more threatened, and more important, than yours or mine. Or my kid's. Or your wife's. Or any churchgoer's.
:roll:
I can't imagine the thinking process that would lead someone to be in favor of any law that declares one person's life more worthy of protection than another's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
As a matter of FACT (not politics), defense counsel are much more likely to be killed, by their clients, because of their professional activities.

When I worked our courthouse, one of our public defenders had a client to whom he would not give a pen or pencil during trial. He told me he was afraid he would get stabbed in the neck with it.

(The defendant was acquitted of a brutal rape - his third or fourth accusation - but has since been committed to St Peter for "treatment")

I would not be opposed to the PD's being allowed to to carry. I do believe most of them in our district would be idealogically opposed, however.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.