Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Miami mayor calls for "assault" weapon ban 
 Post subject: Miami mayor calls for "assault" weapon ban
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:17 am 
Journeyman Member

Video/Text about incident: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/24/mia ... storyview#
Video about ban: http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/e ... 1701606629

Lots of annoying things here:

The reporter says that AK-47s were banned in 1994-2004. That's not correct, just the future importation/manufacture of semi-auto variants.

The mayor says that the murder weapon "is a weapon of war and shouldn't be on the streets of America". Who uses semi-auto AK's in a battlefield?

There was some stat that "assault" weapon crimes in Miami increased exponentially after 2004. Miami is so infested with drug crime (and who knows what weapons were classified as assault weapons in this statistic) that it is a poor representation of crime committed using these types of firearms in the US. I also get tired of the victims being exploited to promote new laws. After all, if a gun control law doesn't work, the only reason why is that it wasn't tough enough, right?

Finally, the police chief said he had a personal assurance from Joe Biden that a new AWB would be passed. HR 6257 is already in committee (http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65687). This could be the incident that is used as an excuse to take away our firearms once again. I also really doubt there will be a sunset provision this time around. I've already written my letters to my representatives in Congress, but honestly I wonder if we can really do that much as citizens to prevent this kind of junk from being passed and shoved down our throats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 am 

Not discounting int he least the need to be vigilant, but HR 6257 died with the 109th Congress at the end of last year. If the bill is to be enacted, it must be reintroduced, and will receive a different number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hmm... I didn't know that. I bet it will just be copied into a new resolution this year. Thanks for the info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 am 

In parliamentary terms, each Congress (every two years) is a new body. The slate starts clean, with new officers and new committees. Everything that was still pending at the end of the old session is gone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.