Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 [Bogus news story] Guns to Be Banned for Elderly 
 Post subject: [Bogus news story] Guns to Be Banned for Elderly
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

[This appears to be a fake article -- AR]

This is unverified to my knowledge... but someone else my be able to find something else.
Quote:
Guns to Be Banned for Elderly
Staff Reports
United Press International
Washington
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Story here
Deputy Attorney General Designate David Ogden is circulating a draft of an executive order in which, among other things, firearms possession would be severely limited to people over 60.

An assistant to Ogden told us, "It appears that in these changing times, it is no longer necessary to allow the elderly to be armed. With all of their physical ailments and increasing senility, to leave them in control of a deadly weapon would be ludicrous."

While the Executive Order may sound too powerful, experts in Constitutional law state that it is not actually un-Constitutional.

"It's a question of wording." states Columbia Law Professor, Dr. John Braxton. "The Constitution forbids the Congress, that is, the legislative branch, from passing any laws infringing on gun ownership. The executive branch is not included in this proviso. As long as the Congress doesn't get involved, it's technically a non-issue."

The Justice Department was tossing the idea of a gun ban for seniors during the Carter and Clinton Administration, but public opinion stopped these initiatives. Now, the Obama White House believes differently.

An unnamed aide close to Ogden agreed to talk on the condition of anonymity.

"Clinton and Carter didn't have as much of a mandate as President Obama. They were both Southerners, and the Second Amendment was sacrosanct to their constituents. However, President Obama comes from a new sort of politics, where divisive issues like firearms do not apply to him."

"Quite frankly, it's a shame that no one has had the good conscience to have done this already. It's a simple process, and the majority of the American people will understand it and follow the law."

The enforcement mechanism for this particular executive order has not been published. It is likely that the confiscation of weapons will be similar to Great Britain's handgun ban, in which citizens willingly gave the weapons to police.

It is expected that the executive order will be given around July 1, when senior-related gun deaths reach their peaks.

The aide to Ogden stated: "For eight years you see the rolling back of regulation, and crime has skyrocketed. In fact, in Massachusetts alone, murders have risen 50% since 2002. Armed robbery has also risen dramatically. With such circumstances, we must act boldly."

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you look around the web even the Freepers don't believe this one!

Reading further down in the link...

NOTE: this is NOT an actual UPI article

and this...

If this is a United Press report, then how come I can't find it in a single newspaper anywhere on the web? In fact the only place I can find it is a post from Free Republic forums?

Am I supposed to believe that the Deputy Attorney General Designate decided to hold a press conference designed to piss off both the NRA and AARP prior to his nomination being confirmed?

and this...

IT'S SATIRE. Everyone calm down. This is not real.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Greg. I was about to blow a corpuscle . :x

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:59 pm 

It seems like a story that may not have made the cut at The Onion.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you guys knew my dad, you'd be in favor of this. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

bensdad wrote:
If you guys knew my dad, you'd be in favor of this. :lol:

Yeah, once my dad got over 80 I had to watch him pretty carefully when we were shooting. He could shoot just fine, but he was liable to turn around with a loaded mini 14 if I didn't watch him carefully. :shock: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.