Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Gun classes in school proposal 
 Post subject: Gun classes in school proposal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Daley rips legislator's gun training proposal
Bob Roberts and Lisa Fielding
Posted: Tuesday, 24 March 2009 12:13PM
story link

CHICAGO (WBBM) -- Mayor Daley is seething over a West Side legislator’s suggestion that children be educated about gun safety and gun use.

State Rep. Annazette Collins (D-Chicago) said she believes that education is the key to gun safety, and said a hands-on approach is the key to taking away the mystery and allure of guns.

“Downstate they teach you that guns are meant for hunting, for protection,” she said. “Here in the urban cities, all they see are guns on TV and they gun down people.”

Opponents filled a town hall meeting Monday night in Garfield Park, and Mayor Daley is adding his voice to the outrage.

“It’s the silliest position I’ve ever heard taken,” Daley said.

Daley said putting guns in the hands of more children is the last thing the city of Chicago needs.

“It would be different if they have an interest and the family takes them so they’re going out hunting,” he said. “Don’t you think we should concentrate on math, science, reading, attendance, keeping children in school, after-school programs? I think the representative should put her priorities in order.”

Daley said there is already too much gun violence on Chicago’s West Side, and said he believed Collins’ proposal would only fuel it.

“If (she thinks) more guns on the West Side is going to help those people, she is greatly mistaken,” Daley said.

Collins said she suggested gun education to help gain passage of House Bill 48, a measure that would require universal background checks prior to the purchase of guns and would ban private handgun sales.

Those attending the Monday night town hall meeting were, for the most part, just as opposed as Daley.

“Teaching kids about guns in the classroom is absurd,” said resident Randall Blakey.

Activist priest Rev. Michael Pfleger agreed.

“That’s like saying we might as well sell drugs legally,” Fr. Pfleger said. “We don’t want access to guns. We have children dying in this city. We’re talking about teaching kids in grammar school how to shoot guns? That’s crazy!”

I think both of them are crazy. She wants to pass background checks for private sales. He is still crazy Daley.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I distinctly remember being taught about drugs in school. They had this case with samples and told us what different drugs looked like. Why wouldn't this work for guns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 pm 

White Horseradish wrote:
I distinctly remember being taught about drugs in school. They had this case with samples and told us what different drugs looked like. Why wouldn't this work for guns?

Don't forget about sex-ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Abstinence only Gun ed is clearly insane. Everyone knows Kids are going to experiment. We want to inform them so they can make safe decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 pm 

Is that the same Fr. Pfleger from campaign fame? Seriously what is his problem?

I totally agree with White Horseradish, I had the same type of drug lessons in classes and can say the class did not make me go out and want to buy some heroin! I think the anti-gun folks feel the less people know about firearms the scarier they are to the sheeple thus easier to ban.

Next time you are having a discussion with a true anti - ask them what the difference between a semi-automatic and an automatic is and watch them try to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Lawyer_in_Training wrote:
They didn't have a sample case for that one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 am 
Raving Moderate

White Horseradish wrote:

Nope. Just the teacher putting a rubber on a banana...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:

Nope. Just the teacher putting a rubber on a banana...
Banana? We didn't get a banana, either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:45 pm 
The Man

realtor_packing_heat wrote:
Is that the same Fr. Pfleger from campaign fame?
Yup. And he's a nutcase.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 pm 

Finally someone (rep Collins) speaks up that education will help demystify guns and will make kids safer. Too bad the rabid antis can't do anything but shout her down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:55 am 
Journeyman Member

Heaven forbid that children actually learn about things they are very likely to encounter in their life.

I'd wager in most parts of the US that a child is more likely to encounter a firearm than an illegal drug.

These are the same people that were complaining about the Eddie Eagle program. How do you cut down on accidental shootings if nobody has any idea how to handle/clear a firearm?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.