Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Stalemate: FedEx squares off against gun advocates 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

JGalt wrote:
Well, I agree with you, but it isn't an argument that is going to be won...

The only way for it to be won is for more people to say hell, no, I won't work under those conditions.

Last edited by jdege on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:56 pm 

Ownership of the parking lot doesn't confer rights to decide what is and isn't allowed in the cars. The mall, grocery store, etc., can't and shouldn't be able to ban guns present in cars in the parking lot any more than any other behavior they might not like. Further, employers aren't taking employees to court or trespassing them off parking lots because they have guns. Instead, they fire them. For these reasons, this isn't really a property rights issue.

The issue is the bounds of the employment relationship and what employers can and cannot mandate. FedEx is non-union, and employees lack any effective means to negotiate changes to policy beyond selecting a different employer, and since such policies are common among certain classes of employers, doing so may not be a practicable means of recourse.

It is a well-established role of government to regulate the employer/employee relationship. So we have the wage and timekeeping laws, we have OSHA, and a few other things that a pain in the ass much of the time but nonetheless serve to prevent abuses. Businesses usually oppose additional regulation of the employer/employee relationship on principle and this is no exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm near jdege's point of view here and while I don't have anything meaningful to add, I find the back and forth here simply fascinating. Reminds me why I keep coming back to this message board. Not just for the content, but also because discussion doesn't immediately devolve into straw men, insults and demagoguery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
but also because discussion doesn't immediately devolve into straw men, insults and demagoguery

Amen

I think the vast majority of people would consider their vehicles to be their own private property. That being said, you can be fired for any reason in any of the "at-will" states. Even if the law states that they can't search your vehicle, you could still have no recourse if fired for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is fedex unionized? If so, "at-will" can sometimes be thrown out the window due to contracts.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.