Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Obama admin won't challenge court reguarding Natl Park carry 
 Post subject: Obama admin won't challenge court reguarding Natl Park carry
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

No surprise here.....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/43197962.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration said Friday it will not appeal a federal court ruling that prohibits carrying loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Instead, the Interior Department said it will conduct a full environmental review of an earlier policy that allowed concealed, loaded guns in parks and refuges.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly struck down the gun policy last month. She called the rule, issued in the waning days of the Bush administration, severely flawed and said officials failed to evaluate its possible environmental impacts, as required by law. The judge set an April 20 deadline for the Interior Department to indicate its likely response.

The Bush rule, which took effect in January, allowed visitors to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge as long as the person had a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge was located allowed concealed firearms. Previously, guns in parks had been severely restricted.

Kendra Barkoff, a spokeswoman for Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, said Friday that the department is not completely discarding the Bush rule. Instead, she said that officials intend to complete a comprehensive environmental impact statement that analyzes the possible effects of the Bush rule, as well as a range of alternatives.

The review is expected to take several months at least. In the meantime, 26-year-old restrictions that had been in place before the rule change remain in effect.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which filed a lawsuit to block the Bush rule, said he was pleased at the Obama administration's decision.

"Semiautomatic weapons have no place in the valleys of Yellowstone, on the cliffs of Yosemite or under the torch of the Statue of Liberty," he said.

Helmke said the government should not spend any more resources analyzing the old Bush rule, but added: "We hope and expect that the Obama administration will conclude that the rule can only make our parks more dangerous and should not be implemented."

In her 44-page ruling last month, Kollar-Kotelly called the rule-making process used by the Bush Interior Department "astoundingly flawed." She noted that officials failed to perform an environmental assessment, which calls for the government to take into account such factors as public safety and the "human environment."

Even without an appeal by the Obama administration, the court case is likely to continue. The National Rifle Association has filed a separate appeal of the ruling. A spokesman has said the group will pursue all legal and legislative avenues "to defend the American people's right to self-defense."

Meanwhile, lawmakers who support gun-owners' rights have introduced legislation to reinstate the Bush rule. Bills introduced by Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, and Rep. Doc Hastings, R-Wash., would allow citizens to carry concealed firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. Crapo's bill is co-sponsored by Montana Democrats Max Baucus and Jon Tester, Democratic Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln as well as Republican Sen. Robert Bennett of Utah. Two dozen House members — all but one Republican — have co-sponsored the House bill. Rep. Glenn Nye of Virginia is the sole Democrat to back the bill.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
… or under the torch of the Statue of Liberty," he said.

How ironic that a Brady Bunch looney would state that a statue that obstensibly honors the liberties guaranteed by the United States Constitution is not a proper place to exercise one's Second Amendment guarantees.

By the way, that tripe composed by Emma Lazarus and inscribed under the Statue of Liberty is purely her opinion and certainly not law or public policy. She should have written "Give us your poor … in an completely legal and orderly fashion, obeying all immigration laws, rules, and regulations to the letter."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:23 pm 

I guess I will continue my standard of avoiding all National Parks then, as my Constitutional Rights don't exist there. Also means they won't be getting any extra money from me, from firewood, camping fees, or anything else I'd buy while there.

I'll stick to state-level and private campgrounds, as they treat me as a HUMAN BEING, NOT A SUBJECT.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 am 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Semiautomatic weapons have no place in the valleys of Yellowstone, on the cliffs of Yosemite

Really.
I wonder if she could tell us, then, where those weapons have a place?

I thought they wanted them "off the streets"? Off the streets and into the wilderness cliffs, valleys, and forests, would be the logical extension of that statement. Oh wait...
Off the streets and into the smelter is what they intend. That's the "place" for those evil semiautomatics, after all. :evil: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Semiautomatic weapons have no place in the valleys of Yellowstone, on the cliffs of Yosemite

I could live with a revolver-only policy, I guess... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
I guess I will continue my standard of avoiding all National Parks then, as my Constitutional Rights don't exist there.

I'm more worried about George Washington Parkway, and other NPS-administered lands, than Yellowstone or Yosemite.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.