Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Harold Koh - Global Gun Control 
 Post subject: Harold Koh - Global Gun Control
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Since we dont have a World Gun Politics section yet (thank God!) I will put this here.

Quote:
Legal Advisor Nominee Advocates Global Gun Control
by Brian Darling
05/04/2009
story link

Last week, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee held a hearing on the nomination of Harold Koh, a former Dean of the Yale Law School, to be Legal Advisor to the State Department. One of the many concerns with Koh is his belief that international organizations should be empowered to regulate the Second Amendment right to own a firearm.

On April 2, 2002, Koh gave a speech to the Fordham University School of Law titled “A World Drowning in Guns” where he mapped out his vision of global gun control. Koh advocated an international “marking and tracing regime.” He complained that “the United States is now the major supplier of small arms in the world, yet the United States and its allies do not trace their newly manufactured weapons in any consistent way.” Koh advocated a U.N.-governed regime to force the U.S. “to submit information about their small arms production.”

Koh supports the idea that the U.N. should be granted the power “to standardize national laws and procedures with member states of regional organizations.” Koh feels that U.S. should “establish a national firearms control system and a register of manufacturers, traders, importers and exporters” of guns to comply with international obligations. This regulatory regime would allow U.N. members such as Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea and Iran to have a say in what type of gun regulations are imposed on American citizens.

Taken to their logical conclusion, Koh’s ideas could lead to a national database of all firearm owners, as well as the use of international law to force the U.S. to pass laws to find out who owns guns. All who care about freedom should read his speech. Senators need to think long and hard about whether Koh’s extreme views on international gun control are appropriate for America.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

The U.N. can kiss our asses. We pay for the damn thing anyways.

World government is a bad, bad, bad, bad, REALLYFUCKINGBAD idea.

Sorry for the f-bomb, but any of these "one-world" assholes piss me off.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 am 

Anyone with a tinfoil hat have plans for a spaceship so the levelheaded people can go get our own world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Senators need to think long and hard about whether Koh’s extreme views on international gun control are appropriate for America.

No, the senators do not need to think long and hard. Koh obviously needs to put his actions where his mouth is & go clean up the guns in Somalia. He needs a one way ticket. When he gets done with Somalia he can work on Sudan. I am all for freedom of speech but this guy needs to go exercise his off my continent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

We should all take the time to remember that the esteemed Mr. Obama "taught" Constitutional Law for a while. Can you imagine the warped views he might have passed on to students during that time?

It is accepted in many circles that Mr. Obama views the Constitution as a "fluid" document, one that should be interpreted in many differing ways to suit many differing circumstances. I personally believe the man is dangerous in that he could not only "change" the USA as it is Constitutionally, but that he could bring down our government with such views.

I urge everyone to vote him out next term, even if you have to write in the name of your pet Labrador to do it.

This jerk Koh (with all due respects to all other jerks) is just one symptom of the Obama disease spreading through this nation's government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
We should all take the time to remember that the esteemed Mr. Obama "taught" Constitutional Law for a while. Can you imagine the warped views he might have passed on to students during that time?

It is accepted in many circles that Mr. Obama views the Constitution as a "fluid" document, one that should be interpreted in many differing ways to suit many differing circumstances. I personally believe the man is dangerous in that he could not only "change" the USA as it is Constitutionally, but that he could bring down our government with such views.

I urge everyone to vote him out next term, even if you have to write in the name of your pet Labrador to do it.

This jerk Koh (with all due respects to all other jerks) is just one symptom of the Obama disease spreading through this nation's government.

Meh. I'm not blaming Obama for the world's ills. Koh's been around and annoying for far longer than anyone outside of Illinois has known Obama's name.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Via Wikipedia:

Quote:
According to Koh, his parents
Quote:
... grew up under Japanese colonial rule, forbidden to speak Korean or even to use their Korean names. When their country was divided after World War II, my mother and her family were trapped in North Korea. In desperation, they hiked for days to the border to be picked up and were brought back to Seoul. But even there, they lived under dictatorship. For less than a year in the 1960s, Korea enjoyed democracy. My father joined the diplomatic corps. But one day, tanks rolled and a coup d'etat toppled the government, leaving us to grow up in America.[3]

...and...

Quote:
Koh is a prominent advocate of human rights and civil rights;

Shame on him. While clearly brilliant, he has failed to learn from history. The right to effective self defense, and to overthrow corrupt governments, is codified in the Second Amendment that he would negate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.