Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 2009 BATFE Modernization Act 
 Post subject: 2009 BATFE Modernization Act
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 pm 

US Senate version: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-941

US House version: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2296

All-in-all, a good bill. One thing that concerns me is this from the summary of the bill:

Quote:
Allows the transfer, possession, and importation of machineguns for industry testing, research and training, national security services, and motion picture or television production.

Basically, it's granting privileges to corporations while still denying rights to citizens.

I've already written my Rep and Sen (only one Senator, so far......) asking that the special treatment for corps be cut, or better yet re-open importation and manufacture for private citizens and the corporations alike.

I know it's not exactly likely that we get rid of the MG ban, but at least we might be able to keep corporations from getting special treatment.

What do you think? Will you write to your congressmen?

Post subject: Re: 2009 BATFE Modernization Act
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:15 am 

Yeah. What makes them so special that they "need" machine guns?

They "need" machine guns even less than any upright citizen of Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., Milwaukee, or San Francisco needs the right to own and possess a handgun while going about their business.

We don't get pistols in some places...but they get MACHINE GUNS?

URRRGGG. Yeah. They don't "need" machine guns. They can make do without. Besides, isn't it THEIR industry (along with the military, and video games) that They (In this case, the Antis and the Anti-Actors) that shows us all the violence with machine guns that cause our children to grow up to be killers?

Didn't Ahhhnold rail against that for awhile?

So it's okay for them to film, and show us these films, with machine guns used in them to graphically depict violent death...

...It's okay for them to then go out and speak about how we shouldn't show our children these films, because of what they depict...

...but it's not okay for us to simply POSSESS the items in question?

*stops his exceedingly side-tracked long-uptime rant*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow, are you kidding? All I gotta do is make a movie and there's no more limitation on owning automatic weapons? That would be awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Hey, it says "training"... Any firearms trainers here? Raise your hands.... (Heck, one could get one, to train oneself...)

The real question is, are they gonna increase the $200 transfer tax to something unmanageable? $200 was meant to be so, in 1934, but now it's pretty small. What I fear is them to up it to, say, $25000+.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:43 am 

Well, as it is now, if your state doesn't stop you, the private individual still has to jump through a number of hoops to get a hold of anything pre-ban, like permission from local police, which corporations and trusts can avoid. A lot of full-auto owners keep them in the name of a corporation or trust they've created for that specific purpose. I think this is fine. Should this pass, all you would have to do is make a corporation, or even easier, a trust and as an officer of such you'd be golden. Like, "Ethel's National Security Research Trust"

Still, I'm sure most states won't change their restrictions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:50 pm 

Look at the full text of those bills... "theatrical purposes" and "trainers" are very narrowly defined. I highly doubt the "Powers That Be" will interpret it in a friendly way for average folks.

Write our congressmen to tell them not to give special privileges to these companies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:59 pm 

Fine. I'm thinking...it's coming to me...yes. Tell my why not: The National Security Research, Development and Film Production Trust, one (just one) project of which will be the unostentatious distribution of a modest (very) pamphlet concerning major safety considerations of filming around machine guns, whether for feature length entertainments, instructional media or advertisement projects.

Furthermore, we'll research and disseminate information on topics pertinent to National security. We'll even go so far as to develop and make available for download (flickr) a rudimentary diagram explaining HSAS, with a short blurb to suggest at which level one's machine guns should be utilized for security.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am 

Pat Cannon wrote:
Wow, are you kidding? All I gotta do is make a movie and there's no more limitation on owning automatic weapons? That would be awesome!

I am considering a career change!

Let me do the math - Hot fake women, real machine guns vs. foreclosed crack houses and thugs on every corner. Hollywood here I come.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
Fine. I'm thinking...it's coming to me...yes. Tell my why not: The National Security Research, Development and Film Production Trust, one (just one) project of which will be the unostentatious distribution of a modest (very) pamphlet concerning major safety considerations of filming around machine guns, whether for feature length entertainments, instructional media or advertisement projects.

Furthermore, we'll research and disseminate information on topics pertinent to National security. We'll even go so far as to develop and make available for download (flickr) a rudimentary diagram explaining HSAS, with a short blurb to suggest at which level one's machine guns should be utilized for security.

Hmmmm, need any employees? :mrgreen:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.