Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Loaded gun in unattended vehicle. Permit holder. 
 Post subject: Loaded gun in unattended vehicle. Permit holder.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 pm 

Hello TwinCitiesCarry.com,
This is my first post on this website.

Question: If one has a permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota, is it ever legal to leave one’s locked, parked vehicle unattended with a loaded firearm in it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loaded gun in unattended vehicle. Permit holder.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quite the dubious question to ask as a first time poster. One would wonder, if one was a permit holder, why this question would be asked? It almost seems you are fishing for an answer that could be used to further a particular political agenda that would not normally be supported by those who frequent this site. That would not be the case would it, selfprotect?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Moby Clarke wrote:
Quite the dubious question to ask as a first time poster. One would wonder, if one was a permit holder, why this question would be asked? It almost seems you are fishing for an answer that could be used to further a particular political agenda that would not normally be supported by those who frequent this site. That would not be the case would it, selfprotect?

A little paranoid this morning?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:41 pm 

Moby Clarke wrote:

Wow. I certainly hope not. I have been a permit holder for over four years. I have read 624.714, Subd 9, and it says one does not require a permit to carry in order to transport a pistol in one’s vehicle, as long as it is unloaded and secured.

So, it begs the question: What are the rules if one does have a permit to carry? Is there more flexibility for vehicular transport? What about if the vehicle is parked?
I have read other laws like 97B.045, which mentions transportation but not parking. And 97B.045 also mentions 624.714 as pertinent.

So, I am confused. It seems as the though the laws directly address what a non-permit holder can do, but, the laws do not seem to directly address what a permit holder can do regarding one’s vehicle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okay selfprotect, sorry, but for a first post, it was a bit odd.

As to your question, if your car is moving, then, if you have a permit, it is not a problem to have a loaded firearm. Once it is parked, you are no longer transporting anything in the car, including the gun. Hence, to leave your car locked, with a gun, loaded or otherwise, is fine.

That said, I will be corrected shortly if I am wrong. I don't believe I am.

Edited to add, most here will recommend getting some kind of a gun safe for each vehicle you drive so that you are not just leaving the gun in the glove box or under the seat.

Here is a good place to start. http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

selfprotect wrote:
So, I am confused. It seems as the though the laws directly address what a non-permit holder can do, but, the laws do not seem to directly address what a permit holder can do regarding one’s vehicle.

I don't know the specifics of this particular scenario, but that which our laws do not forbid, is allowed. It doesn't have to say it's allowed to be allowed, it only has to not say it's not allowed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 am 
The Man

Lenny7 wrote:
selfprotect wrote:

I don't know the specifics of this particular scenario, but that which our laws do not forbid, is allowed. It doesn't have to say it's allowed to be allowed, it only has to not say it's not allowed.

On the nosie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 am 
The Man

selfprotect wrote:
Hello TwinCitiesCarry.com,
This is my first post on this website.

Question: If one has a permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota, is it ever legal to leave one’s locked, parked vehicle unattended with a loaded firearm in it?

Sure. You're not suggesting that, say, there would be something unlawful about leaving your locked, parked vehicle unattended in a locked garage with a loaded firearm inside it locked into a safe bolted to the floor of the trunk, are you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 am 

Wecome to the Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 am 
Raving Moderate

Indeed. Welcome aboard.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Sorry, for the paranoia. There's a lot of that going around lately in our (gun) world.

Yes, it's legal.

Would it be wise or responsible to just toss a loaded gun into your trunk? Nope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:

A good example of a very non-politically motivated situation is, you're carrying on your drive into work. Your employer frowns upon carrying firearms into the building, so while legally you could walk into the building, you like your job so you don't, and leave it locked up in your vehicle in their parking lot.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have to do this on a fairly regular basis. And yeah, it's perfectly legal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
A good example of a very non-politically motivated situation is, you're carrying on your drive into work. Your employer frowns upon carrying firearms into the building, so while legally you could walk into the building, you like your job so you don't, and leave it locked up in your vehicle in their parking lot.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have to do this on a fairly regular basis. And yeah, it's perfectly legal.

And/or when your Form 4473 is DENIED and you go to the local Sheriff Office and HAVE TO WALK INSIDE to have your fingerprints taken so you can dispute the NICS 'search results' (despite the fact I have a P2C AND a HazMat endorsement on my Class A CDL.......in other words........A CLEAN FARKING BACKGROUND!!! :evil: :bang: )........because you know damn good and well that there is no legal farking reason you're denied! :bang: :evil:

Am I a disgruntled firearms owner? :mrgreen:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:48 pm 

Thank you everyone for your responses to my post. They are very helpful and informative. I am grateful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
Am I a disgruntled firearms owner? :mrgreen:

Now seating Bitter, party of one.....Bitter? :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.