Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ladysmith 3913 loose rear sight 
 Post subject: Ladysmith 3913 loose rear sight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 pm 

The rear sight on my wife's S&W Ladysmith 3913 is very loose. It drifts when shooting, and I can slide it clear off. Under the sight are two springs that sit in holes in the slide.

How can I keep this thing where we want it? (I am not interested in dropping a lot of $$ fixing it, as we bought it used for a good price.)

Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Usually Smith rear sights have a set screw to hold them but maybe not this one. Push it out and glue/epoxy the sight in place with only a small amount.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm 

I cross posted the question at the other site, and added these pics.

Overview. Yes, its an autoloader, not a revolver.

Top of the slide.

back. The dots can be moved up and down by the screw on the top.

Rear sight removed.

Bottom of the sight.

Profile if that helps.

Will the heat and jarring of shooting knock loose the glue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 pm 
On time out

that sight is held in place a allen head screw underneath the top of the sight, the springs are part of the action, not the sight i believe.

If you loosen that screw that is visible, you will find that its really short, and only holds the insert into the sight base, remove the insert and there is a small allen head or hex head screw that will tighten up and lock the base into the slide.

Notice were in the pic you labeled "bottom of sight" there are two screw holes visible, but only one screw is shown on the picture before it.

If my comments do not make sense, I am in mounds view and more than willing to meet and show you how it works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm 

I see exactly what you are saying. Now I have to find my other set of allen wrenches...
THANK YOU!

I bent one of the spring tips getting the SOB back in. Any idea where I can find a replacement for that? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes, you could trying calling a GUNSMITH. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 am 

ttreml3 wrote:
I see exactly what you are saying. Now I have to find my other set of allen wrenches...
THANK YOU!

I bent one of the spring tips getting the SOB back in. Any idea where I can find a replacement for that? :roll:

Yes, the screw under the adjustable portion holds the sight base in place. Loc-Tite is your friend!

The springs are part of the magazine 'safety' (disconnect). I, personally, would take all that junk out. It's your pistol, though.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 am 

MNBud wrote:
Yes, you could trying calling a GUNSMITH. :lol:

Bah, what fun would that be?!? Tell my you didn't at least somewhat enjoy looking at my problem and try to figure it out?

Um, the problem with the gun, that is. Don't go looking at my other problems.

Thanks for all the input, I've got it figured out. Just need to pick up some loc tite and we'll be back in business.

(jb: Its my wife's pistol, I'll leave it the way it is until and unless she says otherwise. Its safer for me that way.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:24 pm 

I maybe wrong here but without any windage adjustment in that sight be very careful locktiteing it in place without shooting it first. Don't want to shoot COM and only blow out his elbow.. Even centering the sight in the frame may not be correct. I had a Sig (HAD), that to correct the windage you had to have the sight drifted off to one side enough to be seen easily.
Just a thought.
Be safe, CraigJS

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.