Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 multiple misfires new Ruger LCP 
 Post subject: multiple misfires new Ruger LCP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 am 

A friend picked up a LCP last week. He stripped it down and cleaned it. Went to the range and the gun failed to fire once about every other clip. The primer received what appeared to be a normal depth firing pin strike but it was off center slightly and the cartridge did not fire. These cartridge's were put back in and some fired on the second time some did not. Is this an ammo problem or the LCP's problem. He was using Remington UMC .380. The guy at the range said he has seen this before and it seems to go away after a couple hundred round are shot through the gun. We shot 100 through it and will try a different brand of ammo next time. Anyone else have a similar problem. Other than misfire the LCP functioned fine with no missfeeds or jams.

Mwal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Personally, I'd judge no semi-auto before the first 500 or 600 rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

How far did your buddy take it down to pre-clean it?

If he took out the firing pin and got any lube or crap on the pin or in the channel that could be causing light primer hits. And the fact that the rounds fired when re-struck tells me that you're getting light hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 am 
On time out

My wife and I each have a LCP and I have done lots of research on them. It seems that because of their weight (9.4 oz) they offer much more recoil than the heavier .380's. Limp wrists are the culprit in many FTF's and FTE's.

My wife had this problem when she first shot the LCP. I suggested she might want to hold on tighter when firing. The problem has disappeared.

There's another issue. Ruger has been re-milling the chamber to make it a little deeper so ammo like Magtech (with longer cases) will fully seat in the chamber. Btw, if your LCP is a early one, Ruger will re-work your barrel during the recall (free of charge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:30 am 
Longtime Regular

I agree Mike.

When ever I hear about FTF/E with a light Kel-tec. I always ask, "Has anyone else had problems shooting the same gun and mag?" If No, they are limp wristing it.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Magnum Mikie wrote:
There's another issue. Ruger has been re-milling the chamber to make it a little deeper so ammo like Magtech (with longer cases) will fully seat in the chamber. Btw, if your LCP is a early one, Ruger will re-work your barrel during the recall (free of charge).

Aha! That would explain, perhaps, the bulged cases I'm seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Magnum Mikie wrote:

Aha! That would explain, perhaps, the bulged cases I'm seeing.

I believe the issue Magnum Mike is talking about will prevent the pistol from going into battery. If it doesn't go fully into battery it will NOT fire so there would be no bulged case. If you are getting bulged cases you have a different issue. Are your bulged cases still being ejected from the gun?Are these reloaded ammo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:22 am 

I ran a box of Win FMJ's thru mine yesterday with no issues. I tried to limp wrist it. I fired it as fast as I could pull the trigger with some clips, and no problems. Still, I will send it in on the recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I shot mine this weekend with no problems. I need to run another 100 rounds before I would consider carrying it.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have two of them. I have run at least 400 rounds through each. One had a few fail to feed issues at first. I sent it in and have had no problems with either one since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

I have run 60 rounds through mine with no issue.I dialed the laser in using some factory Remington ammo and then put some reloaded Speer Gold Dot ammo through it to insure if would feed OK.
I just received my Pearce mag extensions but have not been back to the range with that attached. It certainly feels better. I also added a trigger shoe that I have only dry fired the gun with but I really like the difference it makes in the feel of the trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am 
On time out

BE VERY CAREFUL USING THAT TRIGGER SHOE.

A very common cause of accidental or negligent discharges is contact between holsters and trigger shoes. The are often wide enough to cause the holster to depress the trigger when trying to holster the weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 am 
On time out

I was told to never carry with a round in the pipe while using a trigger shoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I would use the same precautions holstering this pistol that I use with any of my Glocks or Xd's and I'm certain that the trigger pull on any of them would be lighter than the trigger on this LCP.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.