Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 I bought a Sig! 
 Post subject: I bought a Sig!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:38 pm 

I picked up a slightly used Sig 229 in .40 cal today at the gun show, took it home, cleaned it up a bit, then brought it to Bill's for a little practice. What a beauty!

It's a two-tone stainless, and aside from a small amount of wear at the lower front of the frame and on the barrel (shiny metal showing through the black finish), you would probably never guess that it was used.

I've fired half a dozen .40 caliber semi-auto handguns in the past year, and this one is, hands down, the smoothest one I have ever shot. I got a chance to try a Sig 229 in 9mm last fall at Bill's gun show, and I had a great time with it. The smooth action, shooting accuracy, fit and finish, and the fit of my hands on the grip all convinced me that I had to do whatever I could to own one.

Today's practice with the .40 caliber 229 was no different -- accuracy, smooth action, confortable to hold, excellent trigger movement, natural to aim and fire. This gun allowed me to shoot better than I knew I could. I'm not a marksman, but I was able to shoot a 2" ragged hole in the bullseye and 9-point ring at 21', with only three errant holes (all center-low) out of 24 rounds (2 magazines).

This is my new carry piece, replacing a Beretta 9mm. I just need to get a good holster for it. Not sure if I want an IWB or OWB. Any suggestions are welcome.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Congratulations!

I also have a 229 - 40cal. Mine is held on my hip with a Safariland 560 most of the time, but on occasion with the following

Gould and Goodrich shoulder rig - (get the retention straps to prevent flop and hang.)
Bianchi fanny pack - for the state fair

Pretty much stopped using my Bianchi #81 - not sure if they make this anymore - the thumb strap doesn't fit very well with the CT laser installed. Plus it has a tendancy to flop around as it rides pretty high.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Got any pictures of the new addition to the family?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Sig 229 photos
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:49 am 

Some photos...

Post subject: Re: I bought a Sig!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:51 am 
The Man

thurianknight wrote:
This is my new carry piece, replacing a Beretta 9mm. I just need to get a good holster for it. Not sure if I want an IWB or OWB. Any suggestions are welcome.

TK
Depends on your preference for clothing/discretion/etc.

I'd recommend Dave Workman's "Undershirt" if you want IWB; one of K&D Holsters' "belt defenders" for OWB. Great quality; great value.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Congrats! I have a Sig 229 357 Sig and have been very happy with it. My only grip is that the sites it was shipped with were the wrong height but that is and easy fix.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Holster for Sig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:34 pm 

I picked up a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for the Sig today, been wearing it around the house to see how it feels. It's very comfortable, although I am a little unsure of concealability.

Most of the time I wear either a t-shirt with an open shirt over it, or else a polo or henley-type pullover. The open shirt should conceal the gun well enough, as long as there is little to no wind. But my polos and henlies tend to be a bit snug, and the gun/holster will definitely print through them.

Anybody else run into this, or have advice for a better concealment method?

TK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:03 pm 
Delicate Flower

I carry my 226 OWB in a Gould & Goodrich pancake at about 3.30.
Conceals just fine under a sweatshirt or baggy t shirt. YMMV.

Most people either don't look or wouldn't know what it was if they saw it, so I don't worry about it 'printing'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:24 pm 

I started a new thread on concealment methods here:
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1240

TK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:17 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I am glad that you finally got one - from CDNN right? I told you that you wouldl ike it - shoots like a champ.

I have a blackhawk CQC for my 229 - works well with a good and I mean a good belt. I am looking for an IWB for it now - the pnly problem is that I dont want to spend another $70 on this gun at the moment.

I just got done loading 5000 rounds of ammo for it for g-ds sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:04 am 

Quote:
I am glad that you finally got one - from CDNN right? I told you that you wouldl ike it - shoots like a champ.

I have a blackhawk CQC for my 229 - works well with a good and I mean a good belt. I am looking for an IWB for it now - the pnly problem is that I dont want to spend another $70 on this gun at the moment.

Yeah, CDNN. Mark Koscielski (lastgunshop) took care of the transfer for me, good guy to work with.

I switched the CQC to "paddle" mode, so the belt is not really an issue, and it rides perfectly against my hip. Unfortunately, the bottom of the holster pokes out from under everything but the longest shirts I have.

I was looking at IWB holsters as well, until I realized I would need to buy a bunch of new jeans and slacks with a looser waistband, and that was going to cost me more than a good OWB holster with maybe one or two extra cover garments.

We'll see what I can find, I will post to the forum if/when I decide on a concealment method.

TK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Congratulations on the Sig. You will love it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.