Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ammo compatiblilty, +P?? 
 Post subject: Ammo compatiblilty, +P??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:32 pm 

How do you know if your firearm can handle +P ammo or not? With some it's obvious (like the .38 spl +P). But I've never seen a .45 ACP listed as +P but you can buy +P ammo for it. I've looked at manuals online and haven't seen any references to it yet...

The reason I ask is I have a .45 ACP and I was just looking and cor-bon makes some +P cartridges for it. It surprised me as I hadn't seen it before and really didn't know there was a +P designation for 45 acp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Almost any .45 can handle +P. It's loaded to slightly higher velocity than standard and may batter your weapon a little but it won't blow up. If you have a weaker recoil spring installed for target loads it's best to put in a heavier one for +P. You can also get .45 Super which is a hot loaded .45 in the same cartridge case size as standard .45 Auto. You don't want to shoot that in your gun unless you add a conversion kit for .45 Super. That kit is available for most 1911 types and mainly consists of a much heavier recoil spring as I recall.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:28 pm 

Hey that's cool.

'course of the positive side of things, barrels for my bersa are only 30 bucks if I end up needin' a new one ;) It would be really nice to have access to info about rated pressures in the chamber etc... That way you could have a set of specs that you could adhere to. Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but I like to have detailed specs to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good example on what guns support +P ammo is check the websites of the gun makers. General rule for Smith and Wesson is any 3rd Gen semi or newer gun from mid 80s can handle them. So you would need to check each maker and sometimes down to the model to be sure. The manual will say if they do also...

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:49 am 
Longtime Regular

The owners manual for my Springfield says I can shoot +P with a stiffer recoil spring. They don't recommend this for any 1911's with a barrel shorter than 5".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 am 

Just a heads up that some older 38's are NOT rated for +P. You could probably get by with using them as a social load but use standard pressure for practice with just a few +P's. I will state that I'm not recommending this, it's your gun, your life, your call.

Also some 9mm's are not rated for +P. The only one that I can think of off hand is the Rohraghr (I'm pretty sure I butchered that spelling). However, the kahr's are rated for +P.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:43 am 
Longtime Regular

The Ruger P345 can handle any +P according to their manual WITHOUT changing the recoil spring. They have a pretty stout buffer spring inside the recoil spring that prevents any battering from hot loads.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:50 am 
Forum Moderator

I'd always check the owner's manual for your weapon and contact the manufacturer if there's any ambiguity about the use of +P ammunition.

Also, stay away from loadings indicated as +P+. Everything I've read, including current docs from S&W, indicates that +P+ is NOT a SAAMI pressure specification -- it's an individual ammo manufacturer specification that could easily lead to a K-boom, especially if your gun has poor chamber support.

If you feel really compelled to shoot +P+ ammo, I'd say consider a larger caliber weapon that will produce the desired ballistics with SAAMI spec ammo.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.