Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shot the new XD-45 today 
 Post subject: Shot the new XD-45 today
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

It worked great right out of the box. I went to the Burnsville pistol range and shot 245 rounds of mixed variety .45. Blazer aluminum, GI surplus from 1964 (still worked good) some UMC hardball, Miwall 230 grain JHP, Winchester 230 grain personal protection JHP and a few old handloads I dug out of a drawer in my basement.

Flawless performance and as accurate as my 1911's. It seemed to take a long time to empty the gun though. I'm used to those 7 and 8 round magazines, not 13 round like the XD. Double tap was not as easy as with a 1911 because of the long trigger reset of the XD but other than that it was a fun gun to shoot. Since it's actually a single action auto, always cocked and ready, every trigger pull was the same. Has a long pull but it breaks clean.

It's a keeper and ready to carry.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, now you went and got me all pumped up about getting one for myself. So a couple questions, if I may:

How's the magazine load? I often have the problem of squeezing the last round into my XD-40's magazines.

The gun looks like it comes with an IWB holster and twin mag pouch, and is reported to have a magazine loader, as well.

Any opinion on the quality of the included accessories?
Did you use the magazine loader?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Brewman, the included accessories are an OWB belt holster, double magazine holder and a magazine loader. I have read where some didn't like the holster or magazine holder. I think they are pretty good myself. I carried the gun on a 3 mile hike this morning using the included holster and it worked fine for me. At the very least you have something to start with and don't have to run out and buy extra stuff right away. They make a lot of good holsters for this gun already if you don't like what's included.

The magazines are not hard to load but you do need the loader for the last few rounds. The first 8 or so can be put in with your fingers but after that they are hard to force in. I ended up using the loader for the whole 13 rounds, it got easy with a little practice.

The recoil spring is really strong. Very hard to retract the slide compared to a Ruger or Colt .45 pistol. I've read in the XD forum that some store clerks can't open them when asked to see the gun.

The rounds feed almost straight into the chamber, it's easy to see why they are so reliable out of the box.

I'm sure that by now you NEED one, right?

It's hard to believe when you look at this Commander size gun that there are actually 14 rounds of .45 ACP inside. Feels good on the hip if you know what I mean.

Here is the link for the XD Forum if you've never seen it:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the nice report.

Oh, you bet that I need one!! But I need to convince Mrs. Brewman of that. Sooner or later...............

I was impressed with the capacity vs size, too.
I've visited the HS2000 board here and there since I acquired my XD-40, but haven't been back there much in the past year or so. And I was mostly a lurker when I was there.

Post subject: Re: Shot the new XD-45 today
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:30 pm 

Ramoel wrote:
Double tap was not as easy as with a 1911 because of the long trigger reset of the XD but other than that it was a fun gun to shoot. Since it's actually a single action auto, always cocked and ready, every trigger pull was the same. Has a long pull but it breaks clean.

It's a keeper and ready to carry.

Canyon Creek can fix the trigger pull for you quickly and at a reasonable price. Sent my 40 cal service model down, no slack, a Glock like reset and 4.5lbs for carry, 3.5 for competition if you like. Under 10 days door to door. I assume he can do the new .45 or will be doing them shortly. Also put in the Don's guide rod and a 22lb spring, takes the snap right out of the 40S&W

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shot the new XD-45 today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:00 am 
1911 tainted

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Canyon Creek can fix the trigger pull for you quickly and at a reasonable price. Sent my 40 cal service model down, no slack, a Glock like reset and 4.5lbs for carry, 3.5 for competition if you like. Under 10 days door to door. I assume he can do the new .45 or will be doing them shortly. Also put in the Don's guide rod and a 22lb spring, takes the snap right out of the 40S&W

Cool. 8)

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just found a buyer for my XD-40, which means green light for my XD-45 acp! That is, if Ramoel didn't get the last one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

:lol: Great! You won't be sorry, post when you get it and try it out. I'm sure you'll be able to find one. Gander had 5 in stock the day I bought mine and I bet there are others around the cities. Since the NRA is naming the XD-45 "Handgun of the year" next month the demand may grow and maybe the price along with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, I got the pistol this past Saturday, at the Lakeville Gander Mountain.
I think it was a good thing I moved on it- they had none in the display case, and a few in the back room, but they were reserved for those waiting NICS feedback. Apparently, one NICS check must have denied, so they gave me that gun. My NICS check went fine and I was able to leave with the gun. Too busy, though, to get to the range till this coming weekend.
The clerks who waited on me said they are selling about as fast as they're coming in.
Initial impressions of this gun are positive- just a hair bigger than my XD-40, and that's with a 13 round magazine. I did notice that the recoil spring was pretty tight compared to the XD-40, even when the .40 was new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Congratulations, I'm sure when you shoot it you'll be pleased with the performance. I've really become attached to mine. Very safe with the passive safeties yet nothing to do except aim and press the trigger. None of those internal locks or magazine disconnects to fail when you really need the gun.

If you haven't seen this gunblast review, check it out. It also has a cool video showing 14 shots rapid fire from the XD-45.

http://www.gunblast.com/Springfield-XD45.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:37 am 

I have really liked mine over the past months. The only thing I would like to see them do different is to keep the mag carrier and holster and include another magazine. The holster may be fine to get you started or for field carry etc but is the first thing I replaced. I also bought another magazine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

More magazines are on my shopping list too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:46 am 
Longtime Regular

You guys are killing me here,I've been waiting for over two months for Springfield to release the bi-tone 45 ACP. I have heard fifteen different dates for the release. I couldn't stand waiting any longer and purchased the sub-compact 40 caliber a couple of weeks ago and have put almost 250 rounds thru it with only one failure and that was when I hadn't fully seated the extended magazine. I have a CZ-2075 in 40 caliber that I was having the same feed problems you stated but CZ replaced both magazines and I haven't had any problems since.
I thought the holster that came in the Springfield gear kit was satisfactory when used with a good belt, but I did purchase a Blackhawk Serpa holster just for the lock feature. It will also work for the service 45 when I finally get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Just a quick update,I have received my bitone XD-45 and it is everything they say. The thing I liked the most is that it feeds lead ammunition as well as the jacketed stuff so I should be able to save some money or at least shoot a bunch more for the same money. The word my dealer got was that Springfield has only released 90 of the bitone 45's. I have two friends that have an order in at the same place I purchased mine and theirs haven't arrived yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
The thing I liked the most is that it feeds lead ammunition as well as the jacketed stuff so I should be able to save some money or at least shoot a bunch more for the same money.

I just put about 300 rounds of 230 gr lead through mine and they functioned and grouped to the same POA as both Win White Box and Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ.

Now I need to find a way to not spend half my time scrabbling around on the floor picking up my brass.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.