Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Kel-tec 
 Post subject: Kel-tec
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:31 pm 

So my desire for a small snubbie has been slowed by an article I read about kel-tec.
The question becomes.....Why would a person choose a P-3AT over a P-11.
Length, height, and width are about the same, so ABOUT the same size gun.
The weight is a LITTLE heavier on the P-11, but the extra stopping power of the 9mm seems a good choice.
You also get a 10 rnd mag over a 6 rnd on the 3AT.
So the P-3AT gets terriffic press, but with a $15 price difference, why would I chose it over the P-11?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wait a month or so and get yourself a PF-9 instead. Best of both worlds?

http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

The short answer is that it fits in my jeans back pocket, in a pocket holster, just like a wallet.

Check them out side by side in person and I think the difference will feel larger than the raw numbers indicate.

My P3AT is the perfect summer carry and the S&W 642 is my more normal winter gun.

No argument on the number of rounds or stopping power though!

YMMV

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Two different needs I say.

The P3AT or P32 are both the smallest pocket gun you can buy with a larger cal than a 22. I use my P32 as a bug. 6 or 7 +1 rounds. Smallest gun.

The P11 is small double stack (thicker) 9mm instead of 32 or 380. It is a good pocket gun in a coat or great carry gun for IWB. I use mine as a primary during the summer and bug in the winter. 10, 12 or 15 + 1 rounds. More, power and rounds.

The PF9 is the single stack version of the P11.

Both work and provide me options. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:08 am 

The p-11 is too thick for pocket carry IMHO. I have both the P3AT and P-32 and both fit in any pocket. Even a shirt pocket.
I would suggest you brouse the KTOG site for a while before you buy. I think some of these guns need some tuning by either the customer or need to be sent back to the factory. The have very good customer service.
I had to do a little mod. to my P-32 to get it to feed onto the extractor. Just a little sanding.
The P3AT needed a Mod. to the feed ramp as I was getting huge smiles and set back on the bullets.
I went into it knowing I would need to do some Mods. I learned a lot from this.
I also had an unfortunate accident while a freind was shooting the P3AT. I'm attaching a pic of it. Note the barrel is ruptured all the way down.
It may have been a squib followed up with another shot. My freind is not an experienced shooter so he doesn't know what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Yikes!!!

Nobody hurt I hope!

I have to ask; he wasn't familiar with guns, he didn't know what happened and you weren't there?

What does Keltec say?

Both my .32 and .380 Keltecs have been perfect out of the box, although I know they do have a reputation for frequently needing a tuneup.

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:33 am 

We had three guy's and a bunch of guns going at the same time. He just said something didn't feel right the shot before the Kb. so I'm just assuming a squib. Don't know what else it could have been. I don't think the gun was faulty as I had several hundred rounds thru it. The ammo was factory Reminton FMJ.
He did have a glove on. I think that helped. No injurys.
I asked Keltec to try and figure out what may have happened. I didn't get a response but they did send me a new gun with my old serial number on it. Good customer service!!
The new P3AT is running perfect out of the box as long as I don't limp wrist it. I do trust this new one as if nothing happened and enjoy shooting it. There just isn't anything out there that can compare to the weight of this gun in .380 cal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:09 pm 
The Man

squib_joe wrote:
Wait a month or so and get yourself a PF-9 instead. Best of both worlds?

http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9.html
Well, while the P9 looks like it might be really pretty spiffy, I'd suggest waiting at least a year before buying any new model gun, except --and then only maybe -- if it's a minor modification to a previous one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Well, while the P9 looks like it might be really pretty spiffy, I'd suggest waiting at least a year before buying any new model gun, except --and then only maybe -- if it's a minor modification to a previous one.

That's something I normally agree with, although Kel-Tec has been pretty good about testing their models before release.

I guess I've always been an early adopter.. and I have the laser disk player to prove it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe, have you got a betamax too?

Have you laid your hands on one of those pieces yet? Is it a pocket pistol or more suited to a holster?

Might Bill's have one for rent when they come in?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:39 am 
Forum Moderator

oscarswanson wrote:
We had three guy's and a bunch of guns going at the same time. He just said something didn't feel right the shot before the Kb. so I'm just assuming a squib. Don't know what else it could have been. I don't think the gun was faulty as I had several hundred rounds thru it. The ammo was factory Reminton FMJ.
He did have a glove on. I think that helped. No injurys.
I asked Keltec to try and figure out what may have happened. I didn't get a response but they did send me a new gun with my old serial number on it. Good customer service!!
The new P3AT is running perfect out of the box as long as I don't limp wrist it. I do trust this new one as if nothing happened and enjoy shooting it. There just isn't anything out there that can compare to the weight of this gun in .380 cal.

Squib is what it looks like from here but I doubt the slide would have cycled with a light load or primer only. Is it possible he cycled the slide after the last shot or changed mags?

It's a good thing he had the glove on, considering that it looks like it took the tip of the trigger off as well. He'd still be picking pieces of plastic out of his hand.

I'm glad nobody got hurt, I'm just a little concerned since I have both the 32 and 380.

That's great customer service from Keltec and I bet they consider it a win when they only have to come up with a gun instead of fielding lawyers. It's great preventive medicine on their part. I like enlightened self interest!

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
squib_joe, have you got a betamax too?

Have you laid your hands on one of those pieces yet? Is it a pocket pistol or more suited to a holster?

Might Bill's have one for rent when they come in?

Just going by the specs, it looks suited to a pocket square type holster

They should be in sometime in the next month to six weeks. I doubt we'll have one on the range to rent, but you're welcome to be the guin.. er.. to try mine if I get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
I doubt we'll have one on the range to rent, but you're welcome to be the guin.. er.. to try mine if I get one.

If you think of it, PM me when it comes in.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.