Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Looking for suggestions 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Bill's is higher than many on some guns. But you do get a $45 range pass with every gun. Something you would probably lay cash out for anyhow.

Bill's gives you a range pass (normally $20), allows a second shooter (normally $10) and provides a free rental (normally $15).

However, since you have a brand new gun, why would you need a rental? And two people shoot a gun for $15 at Burnsville, so the $30 "savings" just reflects the higher on-site prices.

I'm not bashing Bill's, but it's best to compare apples to apples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
I guess if using the slide the way I have been (pull the slide back a tad, hit hte button with my right thumb and holding it while the slide slaps forward) is the most correct way...

Nope. That's the worst of both worlds. You are doing two actions where either one should be sufficient on its own.

So, you're saying, just pull the slide back, and let it rack forward, and ignore the release all together? I think that may be what I'm doing, but I'll have to have a pistol in my hands to see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:09 am 
Journeyman Member

p0wn wrote:
PS. Any suggestions about places that have good prices? I looked around at bills, and things seemed kinda high, but I could be wrong. What about used guns in decent condition?

If you are willing to purchase a slightly used model there is a Taurus Millenium Pro PT140 (40 cal.) that a local guy has for sale on the Glock board. He wants $225.00 firm and it comes with box, manual, loading tool, two magazines. His name is Ty. I don't have a link handy, but if you go to Glocktalk.com and check the firearms for sale section.

I just met him earlier today so I have no interest or money involved. I looked at it, but it didn't fit my needs.

Good luck,
Jeff

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

p0wn wrote:
So, you're saying, just pull the slide back, and let it rack forward, and ignore the release all together?

That's exactly right. This has the dual virtues of simplicity and universality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I own a Kahr P9, and it was my only carry gun for 9 months. I loved the thing, and still do. Never had a hiccup. Well, actually I had 2, but I think I bumped the mag release slightly in the holster. :oops: It failed to feed rounds. It never jammed on me otherwise.

Regarding the mag release and the unnecessary wear, yes that happens. I'm not sure that it happens much on modern guns, but older guns when you released the slide with the slide release too much (it takes a lot) it would wear down that catch until it would stop catching. I've never seen it happen to a modern gun, though. Either way, I slingshot the slide the way and for the reasons that the above excellent instructors already instructed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 pm 

Bill's is definitely not the cheapest place to buy a gun in town.
And I'm a cheap bastard, and always look for the best deal.

That being said, you'd think I would shop elsewhere. However, I actually just bought a gun from them. There's more to the best deal than just the dollar amount. The range pass is nice, but I shoot in my backyard whenever I feel like it.

So what made me buy from them? Well..
1. Selection. They have lots of stuff to look at and fondle.

2. Employees. I've been in Bill's North a few times before, and never bought anything. I never got so much as a frown from any of the people working there. Last week, I spent a couple hours there. I listened while they helped other customers. Very patient, always good answers. I never caught them in an incorrect answer. (I'm not saying they know everything. But they at least know more than I do.)

3. Price. What? Well no, it wasn't the cheapest. But what I wanted is almost impossible to find in town. And by the time I pay shipping and an FFL transfer fee, I'd end up paying close to the same amount for a "deal". And I'm willing to pay an extra $10 or so to be able to handle the gun before I commit to it, and to take it home with me today.

4. Employees. Yes, I think they deserve a second mention. I really really wish I remembered both their names. But Ryan and "the other guy" were good guys who I really enjoyed doing business with. I know there are good and bad employees everywhere. At a place like Bill's, at least you have the option of talking to someone else. At a small shop, you'd better get along with the one guy behind the counter, or you're out of luck.

What was the original question? Oh yeah.
I vote for the Taurus Millenium, too. Any caliber you like; they all seem capable enough.
(No; I bought something completely different, after having decided it was the PT145 I was going to get. Go figure. But the Taurus is still a great choice from all accounts.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I’ve owned both the Taurus PT145 and the Kahr P 40.

I sold the Taurus some time ago, but still own the Kahr.

Reasons:

The Taurus has a VERY LONG reset point for the trigger. Being used to SAO 1911 style pistols I would fire a shot or two, then nothing. I found that I was not releasing the trigger back far enough for a reset. It drove me nuts. Therefore I considered it unreliable (under stress) for a carry gun. In addition, I was at Bills running some Magsafe (Personal protection) ammunition through it when the slide did not go into battery. The slide spring had run past the stop and was sticking out of the front (just below) barrel. Obliviously the rounds were too hot. I sent it back to Taurus, where they repaired it at no cost. When I got it back, I promptly sold it.

The P40 has been an exceptional handgun. I have probably run over 2000 rounds through it of every kind and description (including Magsafe) without so much as an hiccup.

It is my favorite handgun, behind my 1911 style guns. However, it is the most reliable gun I own. The only complaint is that the grip is so slim, that I have a tendency to over grip it. Mine currently as a Hogue grip with an A-grip wrapped over that. It helps some, but I still find it to slim for my liking. The gun is very light and easy to carry, outweighing the minor disadvantage of the over slim grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Some additional thoughts (you knew this was coming, right ? :-))

Andrew recommended a PT-111 to me and I tried one out at Bill's. I liked the size, the controls and etc fit me well, the reviews and etc on the internet were acceptable, and the price was right.

The trigger, however, didn't feel quite right to me. I think JDR's description fits what I was experiencing.

My question: Could the trigger be fixed and tuned by a competent smith? Probably. How much $? I don't know. Maybe someone else on here will have experience with that.

Re: range rental, grip size, and etc... The XD is a double stack so the grip is a bit bigger. The .40 and 9mm are both built on the same frame so their grip size is the same but capacity of the mag is less for the .40 if my memory serves. The XD is newer so the Range rental guns at Bill's will be in better condition than the Glocks they have. If it comes down to XD or Glock you should try to convince one of the guys on here with a Glock to let you try that as well. At least you'll be comparing guns in similar condition.

Re: Prices: It never hurts to politely ask if they can do a better price. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't.

Re: Bill's North, I've been VERY impressed there. I wish I was better with names because they have soem good people there. Ryan has been over the top, Pete has passed along some great information. I wish I could remember the name of the woman who was working there. She is incredible. Knowledgable, low key, polite, etc... If you're trying to introduce a female in your life to shooting, take her to Bill's North while this lady is working.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.