Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Proud Owner of a New Pistol 
 Post subject: Proud Owner of a New Pistol
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

:D

SPECIFICATIONS
Model: 145SSP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 10 +1
Barrel Length: 3-1/4"
Porting: No
Action: DAO
Finish: Stainless Steel
Grips: Checkered Polymer
Weight: 23 oz
Construction: Polymer/Steel
Frame: Medium
Front Sight: Fixed- 1 Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed- 2 Dots
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 6''
Width: 1.25"
Height: 5.125"
Rate of Twist: 1:16"
Grooves: 6
Safety: Manual Safety, Firing Pin Block, Trigger Block
UPC: 7-25327-31134-8
Order #: 1-145039P
MSRP: $425.00

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

How much did you pay, where did you buy it, how does it shoot?

I have been considering this as my next gun. Actually attempted to purchase it, but ended up with the 745 (6+1 version). I had forgotten there were different models in .45. So, I returned it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Congrats! Taking it out to the range soon?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

[pistol envy]

Nicely done...

[/pistol envy]

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
How much did you pay, where did you buy it, how does it shoot?

I have been considering this as my next gun. Actually attempted to purchase it, but ended up with the 745 (6+1 version). I had forgotten there were different models in .45. So, I returned it.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids. I paid $295.99 for it. (Then TAX) :x

I stopped by because I had been pricing this pistol and was almost set to purchase it from Bill's North, but the $100 savings was too irresitable to pass up.

No, I haven't taken it out yet, probably Wednesday, when it's supposed to be raining. Got too much to do while the weather is so nice !!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice gun! I was thinking about getting one of those but then I decided on the XD-45 instead. It's an interesting weapon, the early models had a history of frame cracking but from all I've read, that problem was resolved quite some time ago.

Since I already have five .45's I can hardly justify another one to the wife. I have none that small though (that's justification isn't it?) :lol:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Use the 48 hour rule. ;)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I stopped by because I had been pricing this pistol and was almost set to purchase it from Bill's North, but the $100 savings was too irresitable to pass up.

I don't work for nor get any money from Bill's (Not that I'm opposed, mind you ;-))

I'd at least give the salesperson or manager a chance at meeting your price needs. They may not be able to, and that's a big gap to fill bit it's possible they can make the deal work out for you. I figure it isn't rude to mention you've found a better price elsewhere and ask them to make you their best offer. Who knows, worst case you're still going to that other store.

This only really works out for me because Bill's North is 8 miles from home, convenient, and I'm going to shoot there with a guest sometime in the near future anyway so if they're within $20 it's all the same to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, if they're within $10-20, sure, I would go with Bill's. A similar pistol at Cabela's was $389, Bill's was $399. The big difference is this one has the SS Slide, maybe THAT's why it was cheaper, I dunno. Looking on Gunbroker, the cheapest I found it was $339, then add in shipping, FFL transfer and that would put it around $380. (I DID have the salesman double check the price because it seemed too low. He thought so, too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:56 pm 

The ones I saw at Bill's recently have had the rail on the front for a light/laser setup. The ones that were at Sportsman's, last time I looked, were the older version without. That may be why the big price difference; just a guess.

Personally, I would choose the one without the rail even if the prices were the same. But that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nope, it has the tactical rail built into the polymer frame. My wife scammed the digital camera, so I can't take a pic of it right now. But it looks JUST like this one:

Post subject: Range report for the PT145 MilPro
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, today was an awesome day at the range for me. My parasthesis was minimal and I was hitting right well. To the subject at hand, the PT145 MilPro is DAO, but no biggie. The first 20 rounds were at 5 yards and I found myself pulling to the left (too much trigger finger). I corrected that and was dead on anywhere I aimed. A surprisingly pleasant little gun to shoot. Much more comfortable to me than a Glock 30 I tried. The trigger didn't make my fingers ache while firing the PT145, unlike the Glock 30. It does print just a bit, but it much less noticeable than my full sized PT-100(40S&W), my USP Tactical (45ACP), or my EAA Witness (10MM). The price point on the PT145 Millenium Pro was pretty good, $295.99. All in all, I am impressed. It shot as well, if not better than my other handguns. (No, I didn't take pics of the targets because I don't consider myself THAT good). As for a self defense or carry pistol, I would highly recommend the PT145 Millenium Pro. No fail to feeds, no stovepipes, not a single glitch for the first hundred rounds. I quit at 100 because the range is spendy on ammo and I didn't bring a lot with me. (There is a PT145 Millenium, but Taurus never worked out all the bugs in that from what I understand).

Post subject: Re: Range report for the PT145 MilPro
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
Well, today was an awesome day at the range for me. My parasthesis was minimal and I was hitting right well. To the subject at hand, the PT145 MilPro is DAO, but no biggie. The first 20 rounds were at 5 yards and I found myself pulling to the left (too much trigger finger). I corrected that and was dead on anywhere I aimed. A surprisingly pleasant little gun to shoot. Much more comfortable to me than a Glock 30 I tried. The trigger didn't make my fingers ache while firing the PT145, unlike the Glock 30. It does print just a bit, but it much less noticeable than my full sized PT-100(40S&W), my USP Tactical (45ACP), or my EAA Witness (10MM). The price point on the PT145 Millenium Pro was pretty good, $295.99. All in all, I am impressed. It shot as well, if not better than my other handguns. (No, I didn't take pics of the targets because I don't consider myself THAT good). As for a self defense or carry pistol, I would highly recommend the PT145 Millenium Pro. No fail to feeds, no stovepipes, not a single glitch for the first hundred rounds. I quit at 100 because the range is spendy on ammo and I didn't bring a lot with me. (There is a PT145 Millenium, but Taurus never worked out all the bugs in that from what I understand).

What is the trigger reset like. Does it have to travel most of the way back to reset?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

I didn't notice any significant difference between it and my others. But in trying, was approx halfway forward before reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I didn't notice any significant difference between it and my others. But in trying, was approx halfway forward before reset.

I had a P145 several years ago, and in rapid fire, I didn't allow the trigger to go back enough for reset, thereby pulling the trigger and not getting a "Bang". I normally use a SAO and not in the habit of letting the trigger go back so far before firing the next round. Repeatedly the gun would not fire, it took a while to discover what the problem was. Is was so unnerving that I didn't trust it for use under stress. maybe they have corrected this. :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.