Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kel-Tec P3AT 
 Post subject: Kel-Tec P3AT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

So I got a Kel-Tec for summer pocket carry. Took it to the range shot fine for 20 rounds and then it started to double feed/fail to extract about once a mag. There are several sets of instructions to grind it into the correct shape. Any pointers to a set that worked for you or a friend?

Thank you for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would look into the famous "Fluff and Buff" articles posted on the Kel-Tec Owners Group:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm

and here:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks3.htm

and here:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

(all are good F&Bs.. find the one that looks easiest to folllow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Or, as I understand it, send it to the manufacturer and they'll make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had one. I loved everything about it except one thing. It was a very unreliable gun. 'Tis true that the factory, after a month, returned it in working order, but I did not feel comfortable with it anymore.

There are lots and lots of folks who swear by the P3AT. I am in the camp that swore at it. :(

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ya there is the issue of am I every going to be able to trust it. My XD and friends Glock and other friends XD just shoot (Over 25k rounds for the friends XD, 15-20k for mine, buddy with the Glock needs to shoot more).

Thanks for the tips. I will take a look at it see how comfortable I am with it and figure out if I should have the manufacture take a look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:28 am 

Go over to the KTOG.com and you will find some very talented people there willing to help you with any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

oscarswanson wrote:
Go over to the KTOG.com and you will find some very talented people there willing to help you with any problems.

Actually it's www.ktog.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just heard about another Kel-tec having to go back to the factory. I guess they work great after that, but sheesh. Why can't they get it right the first time? All this anecdoatal evidence is making me re-think my possible pocket pistol purchase.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Exactly what I was thinking Dean... I've been eyeing the Kel-Tek for some time now, but don't like the idea that I stand a good chance of having to have it worked on right out of the box...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:02 am 

You have to go into it knowing you may have to send it back if it won't run right. Chances are it will work fine.
I have both the p-32 and p3AT. Worked on both.
The p-32 was just to get it to work with a 1000 rds. of S&B ammo I had bought. I just took some sand paper to excelerate the wear to the extractor because the cartrige didn't want to feed onto it every time.
It did work with other brands before I did this.

The P3AT needed a mod. to the feed ramp. It was just too long and was causing smileys. I took a small die grinder to remove some material as suggested by people over at the WWW.KTOG.ORG (I stand corrected).
Many of these problems have been addressed and fixed at the factory.

If you get one out of the box that works, You are not along. I think the quality has come a long way in recent years.
There is nothing as easy as these to pocket carry in .32 and .380 calibers. You can carry two or three of these easier than one sub-compact Glock IMHO. My Glocks have all been 100% altough my wife can manage to limp wrist the 26.
I know what some of you are thinking though. You need that many if they don't work 100%.
I happen to like mine a lot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

One also has to take into account that any pistol that I purchase is messed up, long guns are mostly fine.

The XD has a slight rusting problem, but like I said before thousands of rounds and she functions like a champ.

Microcompact 1911 .45 the rear sight dove tail on the slide was incorrect (turns out it was still accurate, but was wrong). It also behaved very badly until it was detail striped and then reassembled. Then it worked like a dream.

And now the P3AT needs some going over. I talked to some people today and they said that Kel-tec should pick up the shipping both ways. So I think I am going to give that a shot. I would rather DIY, but I worry that if I start making mods then I lose that get out of jail free card.

Will report on the results of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

And now the P3AT needs some going over. I talked to some people today and they said that Kel-tec should pick up the shipping both ways.

Ask them to send out a UPS call tag to pick up your firearm at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
The XD has a slight rusting problem, but like I said before thousands of rounds and she functions like a champ.

Thankfully, the new ones have a melonite finish and don't have that problem anymore.

I'm using my old XD for as long as I can stand it, then I'm going to have Pinnacle put a teflon-nickel finish on it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
someone1980 wrote:

Thankfully, the new ones have a melonite finish and don't have that problem anymore.

I'm using my old XD for as long as I can stand it, then I'm going to have Pinnacle put a teflon-nickel finish on it.

Good to know for when I pick up a 5".

And I think I will get the XD sent out as soon as the P3AT gets back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

I bought a P3AT from Mark about a year and a half ago. I've had no problems with mine (other than it hurts to shoot!).

I put about 30 rounds through it last range trip and that was about all I could stand.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.