Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 S&W 642 vs Kahr 4044 vs P3AT 
 Post subject: S&W 642 vs Kahr 4044 vs P3AT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:31 pm 

I carry a Glock 23 or 1911 on occasions when I feel my threat level may be elevated. Quite frankly, this isn't too often. My job and family activities would make it uncomfortable to carry a weapon of this size day in and day out.

Having said this, I am seriously considering starting to pocket carry daily and these are the tools I have narrowed my choices down to. The differences are obvious:

- P3AT is tiny, but of questionable power.
- Kahr is quite concealable and powerful, but is it reliable enough?
- 642 is very reliable and powerful, but is it concealable enough?

It's almost like: "Small, powerful and reliable - choose any two".

I would like to try pocketing each of these for a few hours (or days) using different clothes to try to get a feel for which is right for me. I would only do so unloaded and mostly in my own home of course until I became proficient with each.

I welcome any thoughts on this comparison. I have not shot any of these three yet, but I've held them and read everything I can find on them.

Does anyone know if there is a way to rent or borrow either the real thing or a realistic size/weight replica of any of these guns for a short time? I would be willing to pay a fair price. I know I can probably rent and shoot most of these at Bill's, but I want to pocket them and sit/walk/drive/etc for hours or days.

Anyone want to trade a Glock23 for a Kahr 4044 for a few days? :wink:

This is probably a stupid question, but I thought it would be worth a try.

Thanks

Post subject: a possible source
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe Blue Training guns? Perhaps call Kahr and Kel-Tec directly to ask about blocking (for holsters) and training guns?

http://www.letargets.com/html/training.html
They don't list your particular guns but a call couldn't hurt.

perhaps: http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Produc ... eguns.html
has the J Frame 2" S&W simulator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Blue guns are mighty light, compared to the real things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Blue guns are mighty light, compared to the real things.

Yeah, there is that. Don't take this wrong, I'd loan out holsters and grips all day long but a whole handgun is straining my comfort level (and I only have the one right now you see :-))

But the original question is undoubtably something that a lot of Permit holders have wondered about and / or wished for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:45 pm 

No offense taken. I just know that a bunch of the guys on this forum are problem solvers and like to help others figure out ways to solve their "problems". Blue guns are a good idea, but I can't justify $40 X 3 for this issue. I could make a pretty big down payment on the P3AT for that. Plus, it appears that they don't yet support the P3AT or KAHR.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I expect that I'm just going to break down and flip a coin (anyone have a 3-sided one?) and go buy one and try and see if I can get comfortable with it. If not, I'll sell it (or not :) ) and try another. Actually, this is starting to sound like fun :lol: Just don't tell my wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

TheWhiteHorseradish and I do something like that. I go to his place and hang out and try the new gear there for several hours at a time. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a Kahr P40. ( I believe it's the same is the "Kahr 4044").

This is the one of the most reliable guns I own. I have seven magazines for it and have run well over a thousand rounds through it. Probably a lot more than that. :)

I've not had ONE failure of ANY KIND, I mean none, nada, zero, zip. You can't limp wrist it, or stop it from running smoothly. :D

My only complaint and I mean the only one, is that the grip is too slim for my taste. :cry:

[edit to add]

It is mostly my main carry gun. However since you live fairly near me, if you want to hold, touch or fondle it, I would be willing to allow that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can get used to carrying a larger gun if you make it a habit. After you decide on how to conceal your weapon, carry it all the time. It will get to the point where it's easy to do. Much more comforting than carrying one of those mouse guns because they're tiny and slip into a pocket. If you ever really need a gun, better one that will do the job. If you think you won't ever need one, why carry at all? Stopping power is a problem with any handgun caliber, best to use something with as much power as you can handle. As far as I'm concerned (you may not agree) a .357 is about as light as anyone should carry. You can get 5 shot .357 revolvers that will fit in a pocket if that's what you want. I've found that I can carry a .45 auto with shorts and T shirt. Small bulge but nobody notices. So few people carry that it's not even on their radar screen.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

My new Seecamp .32 just disappears in my pocket. A J frame might as well, but I know the Seecamp is thinner to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel wrote:
You can get used to carrying a larger gun if you make it a habit. After you decide on how to conceal your weapon, carry it all the time. It will get to the point where it's easy to do. Much more comforting than carrying one of those mouse guns because they're tiny and slip into a pocket. If you ever really need a gun, better one that will do the job. If you think you won't ever need one, why carry at all? Stopping power is a problem with any handgun caliber, best to use something with as much power as you can handle. As far as I'm concerned (you may not agree) a .357 is about as light as anyone should carry. You can get 5 shot .357 revolvers that will fit in a pocket if that's what you want. I've found that I can carry a .45 auto with shorts and T shirt. Small bulge but nobody notices. So few people carry that it's not even on their radar screen.

What he said :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

My usual carry gun is a 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in blue jeans. No other cover garment needed.

No one has ever said anything about it.

The only disadvantage to pocket carry is it is a little slower to draw. You better have your hand in the pocket gripping the gun if you are thinking about needing it. Not so unusual since many people have their hands in their pocket.

If I want more, I carry a 1911 Kimber CDP 4" Officer's grip in an inside the waistband holster. Much faster draw. Needs a cover garment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

My primary is a Kahr, though not the small PM series. IF you go with a Kahr, NEVER carry with an after-market magazine. My P40 is as reliable as my Glocks, until I stick my 7 round non-genuine magazine in it ... then I get a failure one per 12.

I've shot the P3AT and three friends own them. Nice little gun but ugly as can be. The P3AT even has "neclace" style holsters available ... that gun is just invisible. +P or other exotic loads will be a temptation here but may turn a good gun into a single-shot. No need for +P as if you can't live with the lack of punch, you wouldn't have selected a .380. A .380 on your hip beats a .45 in the closet.

As for the revo, as you said it isn't anywhere nearly as concealable and I suspect you already own several pistols in this size so the purchase may be merely symbolic here.

My .02 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:49 am 

Yeah, but what do you do when you're at the disco wearing those tight pants? :shock:

A kel-tec in an ankle holster (under the bell-bottom flare) might be just the ticket when you want to be prepared and still make moves on the chicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:10 am 
Longtime Regular

You can almost buy the Kel-tec and Smith for the same price as a Kahr so get both the Kel-tec and Smith. The Kel-tec is slimer and lighter. The Smith is reliable and easy to use.

I have and use a Kel-tec P32 as a carry gun in pocket mode all the time and works great.

I want a Smith K-frame snubie now to match my 4" Model 15 and that would be a great coat pocket gun.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:37 pm 

Aaron Friday wrote:
Yeah, but what do you do when you're at the disco wearing those tight pants? :shock:

A kel-tec in an ankle holster (under the bell-bottom flare) might be just the ticket when you want to be prepared and still make moves on the chicks.

Way too funny!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.