Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sig P239 
 Post subject: Sig P239
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:09 pm 

Looking for feed-back or opinions on the Sig P239. Was introduced to one last week week and thought that I would see what the rest of you thought about this handgun.

Thanks.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:51 pm 
Delicate Flower

It's a Sig...therefore, it rocks!

The 239 in 9mm is a nice carry piece, especially with the 10 round mags.

They are easy to work on, and not that heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:21 pm 

A friend of mine carries a Sig 239 in .357 Sig (he loves it), and I carry a 229 in .40 (also love it). As has been said, Sigs rock.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject: Re: Sig P239
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

rtk wrote:
Looking for feed-back or opinions on the Sig P239. Was introduced to one last week week and thought that I would see what the rest of you thought about this handgun.

Thanks.

RTK
Got one; love it; almost never carry it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:26 pm 

Let me tell you a story. For some time I carried a G19 IWB. I kept reading posts about how much better the P239 9mm was to shoot, carry, etc., etc. A barely used one came up on a board in July and I bought it locally. Came with the DAK trigger which is Sig's newest invention for trigger pull. The DAK makes the gun essentially DAO but each pull is the same pull weight so it's almost like pulling a revolver trigger. Much smoother but you get the idea. I carried my new P239 in an IWB for about 6 weeks. It's now our bedroom safe gun. The G19 is on my hip again.

Don't get me wrong, the P239 is still a great little gun. She just didn't impress me on every level like some of the bigger Sigs do. I had a few FTFs because she was so tight to begin with. That can really shake your faith in a carry gun. After about 350 rounds though all functional problems like that were gone. The Nitron finish is nice, but again it just doesn't seem to me as durable as the slide finish on my G19. It takes some getting used to that DAK trigger and going back and forth between different guns caused me to forget how to shoot with DAK for a magazine worth of rounds when I'd pick her up again. Between that and the shorter barrel, my groupings never seemed as tight as I get with my other guns. (I've never shot a P239 9mm with DA/SA and the decocker so that might be a totally different gun in this regard.) Quality extra magazines are not cheap for the P239 in 9mm so start looking now for deals if you can (although deals on these are far and few between and you'll likely end up ordering extra mags directly from Sig). Finally, the biggest "flaw" for me was that she just wasn't comfortable on my hip in the IWB I bought for her. Jabbed me in the side no matter what I tried. A little weightier than my G19 but it's probably negligible or a toss up when both are carrying a full magazine. I could have tried a different IWB holster but it seemed just to make more sense for me to take her to bed with me from now on.

I spend more time than I should on Glocktalk and Sigforum. The reading I've done indicates that there's a bunch of P239 9mm owners who think that carrying a G19 would be the cat's meow. There are also a bunch of G19 owners out there who can't stop thinking about how great it would be to step up to a P239. Run some searches in either of these forums about the other manufacturer's gun and you'll be amazed at how many strings there are comparing these two 9mms. I've come to the realization that the grass is not greener on either side of the fence. Both are nice guns. Neither is perfect. For me, the G19 edges out the P239 though. Your results may vary.

Now let me tell you how great this BHP is that I just got . . . .

Good luck, and have fun deciding.

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:31 pm 

I love the P239!

But...

I carry a Glock 23 now instead.

Post subject: SIG P 239
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:19 pm 

The only plastic handgun I ever bought. 40 cal. Hit where I pointed it. Minimal recoil [at least I thought so] and a couple of guys who fired it. No Malfunctions so I gave it to my youngest daughter in case she gets a carry permit. I would buy another if I felt the need to change from a 1911 for personal carry. Just prefer all steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:33 pm 

Are we all talkin about the same gun, here? Other than the grip panels, what parts of your P239 are plastic / polymer?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:35 pm 

onebohemian wrote:
Are we all talkin about the same gun, here? Other than the grip panels, what parts of your P239 are plastic / polymer?

I assumed he was talking about the Glock.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:39 pm 

That makes more sense. Got lost in translation for me. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:01 am 
Journeyman Member

P239 is manna from heaven for me. Picked it up around five months ago, and I've put around 2000 rounds of ammunition through it, at Bill's. Not a single jam, yet (knock on wood). I usually invite people to make it go bang at the range, and people generally like it.

It's heavier than most small polymer pistols, and really not even that small. It's basically a single stack P229 that's been smoothed and chopped down a bit. I like the fact that it has a bit more heft to it, in that it makes my day at the range a bit more comfortable. As with most SIG Sauer guns, the magazines are pretty expensive (25-35$).

I own the traditional decocker version, and the DA trigger pull is fairly smooth, but the nice light, crisp SA trigger pull is what makes the gun. I've got some Nill wood grips that fill my hand perfectly, but the stock grips are not bad. I prefer the smoother aesthetics, as all of the new production classic SIGs seem to come with the rails. The pistol comes with tritium night sights. The gun also has potential for good accuracy, despite the smaller size.

I definitely want to try the .357SIG version of the P239, since that would seemingly squeeze more power out of the limited magazine capacity due to the single stack design.

You know the sick thing is, I actually want a GLOCK 19... Must be something in the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm 

I rented and shot a 9mm 239 three times. I love the gun and shoot it (comparatively) well--just as good as my 226, in fact.

My only complaint is that it's too big for a single-stack 9mm. The grip feels wide, like they could have found a way to cram a 15-round magazine in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

The P239 is smaller than the P225, the original single stack compact 9mm from SIG Sauer, I think the newer machined slide is a bit heavier than the 225's stamped slide, though. SIG Sauer seems to be a company not known for making tiny guns. Not even their 232 is small. The P250 DAO sub compact isn't imported by SigArms yet, so, until then, you'll have to get other makes if you want a pocket rocket.

If you remove the grips, you will notice the grips add a good deal of girth to the pistol, but I've not seen any grips considerably thinner than the stock factory grips. Thick by design, in any case, as you will want something to buffer recoil, and fill the hand well, especially if you're firing a .357SIG.

If I were to capitalize more on the single stack aspect, I'd definitely consider a .357SIG version, to get more punch out of the single stack, but I got a 9mm version because the ammunition is far cheaper to practice with, without reloading.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.