Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Looking for a used 44 Mag for deer hunting... 
 Post subject: Looking for a used 44 Mag for deer hunting...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm 

Hi all,
I am heading out hunting next month with a friend and he is an avid hand gun hunter so I thought I would give it a try. I am looking for a used 44 Mag with at least a 6 inch barrel. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
Thanks,
Mike
simian12@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:26 pm 
Journeyman Member

Get the SW 629 classic - ported. I shoot 300gr. Hornadys' in it and let me tell you, it's an awesome set-up complete with a red dot, although I'll probably be putting a VX-III on it next year. I carry it in a holster across my chest where the strap goes over your shoulder- it's very comfortable.

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:36 am 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Do your self a favor, get Ruger Superblackhawk. Stout! Chearp then other 44mags, and it will serve your hunting needs well!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

mnhome wrote:
Do your self a favor, get Ruger Superblackhawk. Stout! Chearp then other 44mags, and it will serve your hunting needs well!

Try the Redhawk; it has a more ergonomically friendly grip than that of the Blackhawk. It is also stout and inexpensive and comes with scope rings. 4X is about right. Rugers are beefier than S&Ws and the cylinder detent notch is offset from the thinnest part of the cylinder wall, unlike the S&W. If you handload too hot (Pinnacle will have a fit) this detent notch is always where the cylinder wall fails.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:08 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Selurcspi wrote:
mnhome wrote:

Try the Redhawk; it has a more ergonomically friendly grip than that of the Blackhawk. It is also stout and inexpensive and comes with scope rings. 4X is about right. Rugers are beefier than S&Ws and the cylinder detent notch is offset from the thinnest part of the cylinder wall, unlike the S&W. If you handload too hot (Pinnacle will have a fit) this detent notch is always where the cylinder wall fails.

Pinnacle will not have a fit - I highly recommend A Ruger 44 - I happen to have a SuperBlackhawk Hunter with Scope - wonderful gun. When handloading - stick to the book and you dont have to worry too awful much about problems.

Anyhow - Ruger is a great option - Chances are with a 44 you will shoot it SA anyhow. Used is a good option here - I think that I know a guy looking to get rid of a 44.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
stick to the book and you dont have to worry too awful much about problems.

See.....You did too have a fit,,,,,,,,just a little one :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:35 am 
Journeyman Member

My opinion: - I don't need everyone jumping in on this thread saying that I'm bashing Ruger either.. Rugers are fine, however when it comes to wheel guns, they don't compare to Smith and Wesson - especially if you target shoot and have them tweaked. (Think Clark Custom Guns) Again, this is my opinion, I've owned Rugers B4 and have sold them for reasons, I will not go into here. All I'll say is at least pick up a SW 629 Classic and feel the nice heft and check the build quality. You can find these used as well at many gun shows for a good price. I've shot 300gr. Hornady's in mine for a long time and there is not one single problem I've encountered with the gun, the problem is the damage that they do to the water jugs, pumpkins, etc. but that's all good. :lol: [/b] [b]Just keep an open mind and check out everything!

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 am 

Oneshotrqtbll wrote:
My opinion: - I don't need everyone jumping in on this thread saying that I'm bashing Ruger either.. Rugers are fine, however when it comes to wheel guns, they don't compare to Smith and Wesson - especially if you target shoot and have them tweaked. (Think Clark Custom Guns) Again, this is my opinion, I've owned Rugers B4 and have sold them for reasons, I will not go into here. All I'll say is at least pick up a SW 629 Classic and feel the nice heft and check the build quality. You can find these used as well at many gun shows for a good price. I've shot 300gr. Hornady's in mine for a long time and there is not one single problem I've encountered with the gun, the problem is the damage that they do to the water jugs, pumpkins, etc. but that's all good. :lol: [/b] [b]Just keep an open mind and check out everything!

The 629 is a HELL of a gun - you will never hear me tell anyone to overlook one - Smith makes a hell of a good revolver...

A 629 in a 4" with a round Butt would be my dream gun (or a Mountain Version) I would carry the thing daily if I had one.

Ruger makes a solid gun - good value for the dollar - the Smith is however a little higher priced - it is truly the Cadillac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Bills North has a "consignment" S&W M29, 6 in, w/red dot -
all set up for somewhere around $550..........................IMMSMR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:34 am 

hammAR wrote:
Bills North has a "consignment" S&W M29, 6 in, w/red dot -
all set up for somewhere around $550..........................IMMSMR!

That sounds like an outstanding deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

I just re-checked and the actual asking price is $589.....still a good deal.

Post subject: Used 629
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:48 pm 
Wise Elder

I have a used 629 Classic in my store at $399. It has an 8 3/8 barrel!

www.carrydepot.com
Check out www.tactifun.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.