Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Perfect (for me) carry gun suggestions? 
 Post subject: Perfect (for me) carry gun suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:08 am 
Forum Moderator

1. gun must be carried in pocket; no other feasible option

2. must be able to be carried either in pocket holster or just loose in the pocket

3. must be minimum 6 rounds; prefer (but not married to) the idea of semi-auto

I have tried Kel-Tec P3AT and would rather never again trust one...but, it does still "call" me...perhaps having one in each pocket is not that bad?

Cost is not a factor, but absolute (such as it can be) reliability is a must.

Suggestions to look at?

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Perfect (for me) carry gun suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:11 am 
The Man

phorvick wrote:

2. must be able to be carried either in pocket holster or just loose in the pocket

I have tried Kel-Tec P3AT and would rather never again trust one...but, it does still "call" me...perhaps having one in each pocket is not that bad?

Suggestions to look at?
Colt Cobra or Agent are the obvious choices; I'd also look at the Kahr PM9 -- I like mine a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
reliability is a must.

SW 432 J frame Revolver 32 H&R Magnum, 6 rounds

The J frame is the standard for pocket carry. I carry it in jeans with a pocket holster. No cover garment. (Other carry gun is a 4" 1911 in a IWB holster when I will have a cover garment.)

S&W may no longer make this caliber. I talked with an S&W sales rep. a couple years ago and he said they were thinking about dropping the J frame in 32 H&R Magnum. He thought it was a great cartridge for the J frame and couldn't understand why. Low sales was the thought.

Recoil is fine in the aluminum frame, stainless cylinder, 15 oz gun. You can also practice with 32 Long or 32 Short for virtually no recoil.

I got one 2 years ago so you should be able to find one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:55 am 
The Man

westhope wrote:
Quote:
reliability is a must.

SW 432 J frame Revolver 32 H&R Magnum, 6 rounds

The J frame is the standard for pocket carry. I carry it in jeans with a pocket holster. No cover garment. (Other carry gun is a 4" 1911 in a IWB holster when I will have a cover garment.)

S&W may no longer make this caliber. I talked with an S&W sales rep. a couple years ago and he said they were thinking about dropping the J frame in 32 H&R Magnum. He thought it was a great cartridge for the J frame and couldn't understand why. Low sales was the thought.

Recoil is fine in the aluminum frame, stainless cylinder, 15 oz gun. You can also practice with 32 Long or 32 Short for virtually no recoil.

I got one 2 years ago so you should be able to find one.
One of the retired cops I trained a few weeks back shot his qual with that gun; he liked it a lot, and shot it very well.

Me, I'd rather have five rounds of .38 than six of 32 H&R mag -- if only because ammo's a lot easier to get -- but I wouldn't (and don't) sneer at it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes, there are limited suppliers for the ammo compared to other calibers but not hard to find and not much more than other ammo.

Federal makes a self defense load for it (I like Federal for my carry ammo, good performance, excelent quality). Black Hills (which Cabela's always has on hand) also makes it along with a few others. It is a Cowboy Action caliber so several load it in light loads for them. You can get some hot loads for it I found on the internet but can't remember where now and haven't tried them. Do a search on 32 H&R Magnum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:30 am 

I carry a North American Arms Guardian .380. It is about the size of the Kel Tec but it is heavier since it is stainless. Six in the mag and one in the pipe. It carrys nice in my NAA pocket holster but I have carried it loose in the pocket on occasion and with the long trigger pull I didn't fear an accidental discharge. I have had it for 3 years and put over 1000 rounds through it with no problems other than a few stovepipes early on. Shooting with a stiff wrist took care of that.

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:31 pm 

I was telling a friend how much I liked the way my PM9 shot. How natural it pointed and hit for me. I suggested he try mine. He did, and he bought one the next day. It’s plenty small and fits in a pocket just fine, but in an IWB holster it’s really not much easier to conceal than a 1911. Go figure? I save my PM9 for pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I'm carrying in a pocket it will be my Colt mustang + 2. Seven rounds of 380 is more than enough fire power to make me feel safe. There is also the Beretta 21A that I have that is undetectable in a wallet holster or just dropped into a pocket. My little NAA 22long rifle revolver usually goes with me while walking the dog or mowing the lawn. I'll throw in the 1911 because it fits the criteria mentioned being three inch barrel and seven rounds but I would call it a little heavy for the pocket. Not fitting the six round specs I would include the 642 and also the 640, both being only five rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:05 am 

You might consider a Rohrbaugh R9S. Small pocket gun in 9mm.

Another consideration would be the Seecamp .380. Same frame size as their .32. I've heard the waiting list is up to a year, but I've also heard reports of folks walking into a gun shop and finding one in the display cabinet.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 am 

phorvick wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but isn't loose pocket carry generally considered to be a Really Bad Idea? I mean, you don't exactly have a lot of control over what your trigger might snag on...

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:39 am 
Forum Moderator

thurianknight wrote:
phorvick wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but isn't loose pocket carry generally considered to be a Really Bad Idea? I mean, you don't exactly have a lot of control over what your trigger might snag on...

TK
Yup...let's not turn the thread....but as to your statement, I am not going to argue that this is necessarily the optimum carry strategy for all people, all gun types, all sizes, all pockets, all threats etc. I have a specific situation in mind that I come into fairly frequently where carrying in a pocket with the ability to "shoot from the pocket" may be important enough for me to consider w/o holster. So, how good or bad an idea it might be will depend a lot on the person, the scene, the gun type etc. So no arguement from me...just a note that it was and is a factor in my carry equation for this situation.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:43 am 

phorvick wrote:
I have a specific situation in mind that I come into fairly frequently where carrying in a pocket with the ability to "shoot from the pocket" may be important enough for me to consider w/o holster. So, how good or bad an idea it might be will depend a lot on the person, the scene, the gun type etc. So no arguement from me...just a note that it was and is a factor in my carry equation for this situation.

Fair enough. Glad to hear you've thought it all out. Thanks for the reply.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

If, as you say, reliability is a must, and you want to be certain you can shoot from inside a pocket more than one round, there's only one choice: a revolver with a shrouded hammer. Personally I feel 5 rounds of .357 is adequate, but if you disagree, the answer is the 10-round capacity provided by a revolver in each jacket pocket. Plus it'll balance you out. Just put the keys etc. in your pants pocket.

Ooh I just had a great idea: a .357 cartridge full of Halon, to be loaded as your last round, purely to put out the fire. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat, I have seen your 357 Mag. SP101 shoot. I cannot imagine what the muzzle blase inside a jacket pocket would do, look like, the results.

Please, please call me when you try this. At least shooe a video. Will the muzzle blast blow out the pocket front? Will it blow out the whole front of the jacket? Will the whole jacket blow up like a balloon? Will the blast expelling out the back of the pocket and propel you forward?

Oh, Pat. Please call me if you ever try this.

If the plan is to shoot from a pocket, them Pat's comment is the only choice. Revolver with a shrouded hammer is a must. A semi-auto cannot be relied upon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
phorvick wrote:

Suggestions to look at?
Colt Cobra or Agent are the obvious choices; I'd also look at the Kahr PM9 -- I like mine a lot.

+1 to the Colt idea. I have an Agent and it is great.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.