Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Which can be shot faster? 
 Post subject: Which can be shot faster?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:15 pm 

Which can be shot FASTER?
Revolver or Semi-Auto?

With some degree of accuracy, say putting all shots in an 8" circle at 7 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Depends who doing the shooting!

Me a semi-auto in 9mm...

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just do a Google search on "Jerry Miculek". One of the top links is how he fired 50 shots from 10 different revolvers in something like 20 *seconds*. He's also beaten other competive shooters shooting autoloaders, winning tournaments in the process. Watching him shoot a revolver is nothing short of amazing.

That being said, I'd wager that most people, most of the time can shoot and reload more bullets, faster with an autoloader than with a revolver. There's a reason that most militaries have autoloaders as their primary sidearm and have for decades.

I'd wager this would make autoloaders more inaccurate as well -- real fast shooting seldom indicates real accurate shooting. I don't know if this means that double action revolvers have any edge, just that faster-shooting autos would tend to be fired more wildly by most people.

Anyway, I think that with enough practice and skill, revolvers can be shot as fast as autoloaders, but for a given average level of skill, autoloaders are likely to be faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:57 pm 
The Man

Or consider Ed McGivern -- 5 shots in 2/5ths of a second.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _101879025

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:15 pm 

The truth is most average persons will shoot a semi faster but I have seen some top shooters here and in the USA that have outshot semi autos. Reason is that they can pull the trigger faster than the semi-auto can cycle. It’s weird but true.
Although I have to make do with a revolver I very much like the “versatility” of the semi-auto.

Post subject: Re: Which can be shot faster?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:48 pm 

Agro500 wrote:
Which can be shot FASTER?
Revolver or Semi-Auto?

With some degree of accuracy, say putting all shots in an 8" circle at 7 yards.

The answer is a revolver. The answer to the question of which can be shot faster by you, however, may be different.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:03 pm 
Journeyman Member

joelr wrote:

I seem to remember an episode of Shooting USA where Jerry Miculek beat Ol' Ed's record...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

BigRedBowtie wrote:
joelr wrote:

I seem to remember an episode of Shooting USA where Jerry Miculek beat Ol' Ed's record...

It was on less than a month ago. He beat at least one of Ed's records, I don't recall him beating the .40 second record, but I could be wrong.

ObTrivia: I have a framed & autographed (to me) picture of Jim Scoutten in my office. A colleague of my wife's works in marketing at Federal, and she got it for me as a "gag" gift.

Ironically, Scoutten seems like a nice guy. I've emailed him more than once and gotten both personal replies and even had a running debate with him about the 10mm cartridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:11 am 

mobocracy wrote:
BigRedBowtie wrote:
joelr wrote:

It was on less than a month ago. He beat at least one of Ed's records, I don't recall him beating the .40 second record, but I could be wrong.

ObTrivia: I have a framed & autographed (to me) picture of Jim Scoutten in my office. A colleague of my wife's works in marketing at Federal, and she got it for me as a "gag" gift.

Ironically, Scoutten seems like a nice guy. I've emailed him more than once and gotten both personal replies and even had a running debate with him about the 10mm cartridge.

Jim Scoutten IS a helluva nice guy. I've had the pleasure of speaking with him a couple of times. There may even be a blooper video of me on Shooting USA next year from the USPSA nationals. :oops:

And as far as Jerry goes, he is also a great guy that can shoot anything you put in his hands FAST! I was squaded with him at nationals for three days and watched him do some amazing things with a revolver. I think one of his revolver world records is shoot six, reload and shoot six out of a double action revolver from the low ready postition in 2.99 seconds. All hits were there, too, on a NRA/Bianchi type tombstone target.

Post subject: Gods and Mortals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

I've seen some videos of Revo Gods plying their trade, it's truely a wonder to behold. For the rest of us mere mortals and speaking somewhat for myself, most revolvers have too heavy and too long a trigger pull for me to shoot fast, accurately ... unless of course the revo has had a trigger job.

Compare that to a nice 1911 where every shot enjoys the benefit of a perfect trigger, short reset ... the recoil of a .45 might slow ya down a tad.

Speaking of Nationals, did you ever notice how everyone shoots semi-autos, except for a select few revo types not all of whom have good times when compared to the semi-auto crowd?

On a local level (MN), nobody who shoots a revo in IDPA or IPSC has a time that even comes close to what reasonably experienced but merely mortal shooters attain with a semi-auto. One of my buddies shot revo all season at Oakdale USPSA ... slow, slow, slow.

Gods be few, mortals be many.

Post subject: Re: Gods and Mortals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator

lance22 wrote:
Speaking of Nationals, did you ever notice how everyone shoots semi-autos, except for a select few revo types not all of whom have good times when compared to the semi-auto crowd?

On a local level (MN), nobody who shoots a revo in IDPA or IPSC has a time that even comes close to what reasonably experienced but merely mortal shooters attain with a semi-auto. One of my buddies shot revo all season at Oakdale USPSA ... slow, slow, slow.

Gods be few, mortals be many.

I would think the major limitation for revolvers would be capacity. I'm surprised nobody has made a revolver chambered in .38 that could hold 10 rounds. It would be funny looking and impractical, but no more so than some of the race autos with oil-funnel sized magwells, big red dots and compensators.

With a 10 round capacity I think Jerry would be even money against even Doug Koenig limited to a single stack 1911.

Post subject: Gods n' Mortals, Part II
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Mob ...

How right you are! Reloading .... BIG factor in time / scoring. That ten-round cylinder would make for a pretty fat gun!

A revo god can flip out his cylinder, eject, reload, pop the cylinder back in and resum firing much quicker than most of us can do a mag change with our semi-autos. The rest of us mortals get slowed WAY down by our awkward handing of revo reloads.

Doing a reload isn't in the intent of this thread ... just shooting the capacity of he firearm ... but if one is inclined to carry a revo, there are issues with doing a reload, both for the time it takes and the practicality of carrying a speed loader. That is, if you believe in carrying extra ammo. I'll stick my neck out and admit that I only carry what is in the gun ... my only issue with doing a reload is that 'on the street' I won't be doing one - and BTW I carry a Kahr P40 so I don't have a lot of excuses as to why I don't. I'm curious as to how many revo carriers carry extra ammo.

Post subject: Re: Gods n' Mortals, Part II
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:32 am 
on probation

lance22 wrote:
Mob ...

How right you are! Reloading .... BIG factor in time / scoring. That ten-round cylinder would make for a pretty fat gun!

A revo god can flip out his cylinder, eject, reload, pop the cylinder back in and resum firing much quicker than most of us can do a mag change with our semi-autos. The rest of us mortals get slowed WAY down by our awkward handing of revo reloads.

Doing a reload isn't in the intent of this thread ... just shooting the capacity of he firearm ... but if one is inclined to carry a revo, there are issues with doing a reload, both for the time it takes and the practicality of carrying a speed loader. That is, if you believe in carrying extra ammo. I'll stick my neck out and admit that I only carry what is in the gun ... my only issue with doing a reload is that 'on the street' I won't be doing one - and BTW I carry a Kahr P40 so I don't have a lot of excuses as to why I don't. I'm curious as to how many revo carriers carry extra ammo.
When I carry my Colt DS. I carry 12 extra rounds. The Avg. gun fight your shoot 1.7 each at 8 feet. You must also count the rounds you shoot. This helps alot in a gun fight. You have to train yourself in this, be a rev. or semi. The most important thing in a gun fight is to TAKE COVER first. There are 8 shot rev. out there. in 357 mag.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gods n' Mortals, Part II
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

lance22 wrote:
Mob ...

I was thinking maybe the cylinder would grow down and out, kind of like some of the "street sweeper" shotgun designs that use drum magazines. I wonder if the revolver "open" division would even allow this or if they have a hard limit of 6 rounds.

Quote:
That is, if you believe in carrying extra ammo. I'll stick my neck out and admit that I only carry what is in the gun ... my only issue with doing a reload is that 'on the street' I won't be doing one - and BTW I carry a Kahr P40 so I don't have a lot of excuses as to why I don't. I'm curious as to how many revo carriers carry extra ammo.

I think you can make a reasonable argument for not carrying spare mags. I imagine that a not insignificant number of civilian defense situations, no shots are fired, and if they are fired its fewer than 3-4. How many MPD shootings can anyone remember where the officers were involved in sustained gunfights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:09 pm 
Delicate Flower

Revolver...Extra Ammo ???? The 5 in my S&W 642 is all I have. Hopefully enough to cover my a** as I retreat.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.