Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Glock 21 vs XD 45 
 Post subject: Glock 21 vs XD 45
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:29 pm 

I'm looking at purchasing a new .45 and I'm looking at the Glock 21 and the XD 45. Anyone in here want to give me thier 2 cents worth on either gun? Your comments and suggestions are cerainly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Go to Bill's, rent them, and find out what works for YOU. My wife has a Glock 26 and XD45. She likes both but I made here test drive them first since her first purchase was a revolver that she did not try out first which she found out her small & weak hands and wrists could not handle the it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Glock 21 vs XD 45
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:53 am 
The Man

GMan wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing a new .45 and I'm looking at the Glock 21 and the XD 45. Anyone in here want to give me thier 2 cents worth on either gun? Your comments and suggestions are cerainly appreciated. Thanks
Sorry; both are great. I have the XD, and like it a lot; I wouldn't have been unhappy with the Glock.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I also have the XD. There are two things that I like better about the XD, I think it's safer because of the grip safety and the trigger safety, not just a trigger safety and I prefer the grip angle which is like a 1911.

My XD has been perfect with no malfunctions which can usually be said about the Glock too.

One other thing, the XD has a fully supported chamber, the Glock doesn't, this makes the possibility of a "Kaboom" greater in the Glock when using +P loads. There are a lot of Glock "Kaboom" stories on the Internet, some say Glock really started to have problems when they made guns larger than 9MM.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:27 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

My $0.02

I have shot both - and I have come to the conclusion that apples to apples the 21 Vs. the Normal XD Service gun - the XD wins hands down for the following reasons -

Ergonomics
Price Baseline
Value (What you get for the Cost)

I find that the XD is a great gun for someone like me with smaller hands. I think that the XD is a well thought out gun.

The Glock is also a serious handgun and not to be taken lightly - it is just a handful and if you have bigger hands or it works for you for whatever reason - it would be a tough choice.

I have nbever shot or held a 36 so I cannot say anything - I like the XD's - any high quality totally user friendly gun that you can get for $450 +/- a few bucks is a GREAT Value.

Rent them - that is the absolute genius that is Bill's GS....... It all boild down to preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:56 am 

Are they rated for +P loads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't know about the Glock but according to Springfield the XD is +P rated.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel wrote:

Glock says maybe to +P, but I have been told a lot of people shot +p in Glocks with out a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup...both are great guns. I have the Glock and it has never failed me. Yes, it is "big", but any double stack .45 is going to be a handful for small hands.

I prefer the Glock, but might get an XD also...

I'll be at Bill's Robbinsdale for our permit class on the 18th and will be glad to let anyone try it on for size.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm liking my XD-45, not much experience with the Glock. I have a 1911, and I like the consitent grip angle between it and the XD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:41 pm 

Ramoel wrote:

Fabulous. The XD keeps getting higher on my short list. The reasonable cost makes it Mistress of Finance friendly, too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

and If you wait just a bit, the XD45 Compact may be the cats meow... Think long slide, shorter grip... Like a Glock 19 compared to the 17 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:49 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Get the Rolls Royce of 45ACP handguns! Get a HK USPc in 45ACP! So many carry options! Loaded with some Federal HST you will be well served!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll cast another vote for the XD-45. I have the service model and it would be possible to carry it, I have a Springfield micro compact in 45 that is considerably smaller, which is what I'm currently using as my carry piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you're wondering about carrying a XD 45 Service, It's almost the same dimensions as the 1911 5". The polymer allows them to have a slimmer grip and it doesn't have stocks / grips on it. It's just a bit more oblong but still the same thicknss / depth.

I don't own one but I have owned(and carried) a 1911a1 and I now own a XD 9 which I like very much.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.