Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 So, I'm thinking about a 9mm... 
 Post subject: So, I'm thinking about a 9mm...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 am 
Raving Moderate

Any suggestions? My basic criteria are (in no particular order):

1) ABSOLUTELY reliable- the tougher, the better;

2) Availability of spare mags, etc.;

3) Affordability;

4) Relative simplicity of operation.

Thanks, guys!

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like a Springfield XD sub compact in your future to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Purpose?

For carry, targets, competition, or combination?

Double action or can you deal with SA with C1?

Is capacity and/or weight a concern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 am 
Raving Moderate

hammAR wrote:
Purpose?

For carry, targets, competition, or combination?

Double action or can you deal with SA with C1?

Is capacity and/or weight a concern?

Combination of carry and (hopefully frequent) range time.

I've never shot a semiauto handgun (I'm a current parishoner at Joel's Church of the Appropriate Revolver), so I'm not sure if I want to go the SA or DA route. As far as Condition One carry, I'm not opposed to it with a reliable gun.

Decent capacity would be nice. (Of course, pretty much any 9mm has a higher capacity than my 5 shot revolver...) I'm not seeing a need for the 33-round Glock magazines, but somthing in the double digits wouldn't be a bad thing, methinks.

Mostly, I'm at the exploratory stage of this potential purchase, and wanted to hear what some of our local experts thought on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe you should buy a 9mm revolver?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Glock 19.

Concealable, affordable, utterly reliable, huge selection of accessories, and point-and-shoot simplicity.

You can usually get a perfectly servicable one used for about $400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:27 am 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
Maybe you should buy a 9mm revolver?

An interesting possibility, but if I'm going the 9mm route, more capacity would be one of the reasons. (And economics- 9mm is cheaper to shoot than the .38/.357 rounds in my revolver.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am 
Forum Moderator

If the availability of inexpensive mags and inexpensive and user servicible parts is a big deal, then Glock 19 all the way.

I have the 17, 19 and the 26. Of those three, the 19 is #1 carry gun; the #17 a very close second, and the 26 trails. I likely will keep the 17 and 19 and sell the 26 as having used it I don't see the slightly smaller size to offset the 5 round differential vs the 19. All three are uber reliable ...even though a spring just broke on my 19....a $2 user servicible part.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: So, I'm thinking about a 9mm...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:13 pm 
1911 tainted

Jeremiah wrote:

1) ABSOLUTELY reliable- the tougher, the better;

2) Availability of spare mags, etc.;

3) Affordability;

4) Relative simplicity of operation.

Sounds like a Springfield Armory XD to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:42 pm 

Affordable is in the eye of the beholder.

My H&K USP (full size) has been in carry service since '94. Lots of ammo and faux combat shoots. It's been utterly flawless. Stoked with +P it's pretty potent.

Lots of good choices, though. My S&W 9mm snubbie (full mood clips) was NOT a nice weapon. Both the Taurus autos in 9mm were promptly purged as well (not reliable).

Post subject: Sig 226 or 22? Police Trade-in
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:47 pm 

This is what I did. My 226 cost me $350. Mine came with 3 magazines. More carried than shot so it did not look pristine.

100% reliable so far.

That being said, I keep reaching for the 642 and the pocket holster. It's way too convenient. In fact I've yet to carry the 226.

My 2% of a dollar.

Post subject: Re: Sig 226 or 22? Police Trade-in
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:00 pm 
1911 tainted

lumbering.buffalo wrote:
This is what I did. My 226 cost me $350. Mine came with 3 magazines. More carried than shot so it did not look pristine.

100% reliable so far.

That being said, I keep reaching for the 642 and the pocket holster. It's way too convenient. In fact I've yet to carry the 226.

My 2% of a dollar.

Sir, your 226 is a fine weapon that you got at a good price. I mean, use what ever works for you and the S&W 642 is another fine choice. But next time you are standing at the gas pump and filling up, just look around you and think, what would I prefer to have in my hand if things go bad?

I always think about this and that is why I carry a full size when ever possible, my mini 9mm and pocket .38 is when I cannot carry anything else.

99.9% of the time a person will never need their carry weapon. But that 0.1% that a person may, I believe a full sized weapon is easier to use than a convenient gun.

Just my 0.03. If thing would go bad for me sometime, I would much prefer a shotgun, but that is not practical in a carry situation, so I prefer a full size like the XD, 226, 1911, etc...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Because you are a revolver guy any DAO semi should be easy for you. My favorite carry is a S&W 6946 DAO, 12+1, compact (simular size to a glock 19) and feels right in my hand. You can find them used for under 300, used mags are 20 and lots of them out there.

You should check out the S&W forum for more info. http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

There are tons of good guns that would meet your needs. Go to a gun show and/or a gun shop and feel all the different guns out there. My new gun recommendations to look at are M&P9 or XD9.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

+1 on the XD9SC.

Less expensive (new) than a Glock.

Points better (for many) than a Glock.

Looks prettier (IMO) than a Glock.

"Safer" than a Glock.

16-round mag. with grip extension is great for practice. 10-round flush-fitting mag. is great for carry. It's almost like having two guns in one.

I've had mine for a little over a month and am 100% satisfied. With most purchases I make, it's common for me to feel some degree of buyer's remorse shortly afterwards; not in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 pm 

Srigs, I'm disappointed.

Though this gun is met with tons of resistance from haters who remember some of the issues from the early-on, the new Smith and Wesson Sigma series is (IMO) a fine weapon with a high-bang-for-the-buck rating.

SW9VE

I've had mine for a couple years now and it has been completely trouble-free.

You can get them brand new at most sporting goods places for around $279 and that comes with a case and two 16 round magazines.

Magazines are easy enough to find on the 'net - most going for a bit much at $20 - $30 each.

It was closely modeled after the Glock (so close they were met with a lawsuit over it) so it is quite simple in design. Another bonus is that it also carries Smith and Wesson's lifetime warranty.

In addition - all of the suggestions above would make excellent choices as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.